Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alcohol in goods to follow

Wikiposts

Alcohol in goods to follow

Old Aug 31st 2018, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Let It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alcohol in goods to follow

Looking for some advice / experience in shipping our unopened gin and whisky collection in goods to follow, and what experience people have had with delay / extra checks at customs on goods arriving.
I’m going to inventory what we have and request CRA to advise what the tariffs will be in any event; may turn out to be prohibitive!
thanks in advance
Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol in goods to follow

From CBSA D Memo D2-2-1

52. Settlers intending to ship alcoholic beverages to Canada (e.g., the contents of a bar or wine cellar) are advised to contact the appropriate liquor control board, prior to shipment, so that provincial fees and assessments can be paid in advance. In order to obtain release of the shipment in Canada, the settler must produce a copy of the provincial permit and pay all of the applicable CBSA assessments.

56. Excess quantities of alcohol and tobacco are subject to high importation costs as provincial fees and taxes are assessed in addition to the duties that apply. In some cases, provincial limits may also apply. An allowance will be given for products that are marked "CANADA – DUTY PAID • DROIT ACQUITTÉ" when border services officers calculate the amounts owing. Canadian-made products sold at duty-free shops are marked in this manner.

From Appendix A of D Memo D2-3-6
The minimal provincial liquor fees are assessed on all importations of alcoholic beverages entering Canada through provinces that have not reached a collection agreement regardless of the ultimate destination for consumption. The minimal provincial liquor fee rates are: 15¢/oz. for spirits; 5¢/oz. for spirit coolers; 10¢/oz. for wine/15¢/oz. for sparkling wine; 5¢/oz. for wine coolers; 5¢/oz. for wine; 5¢/oz. for cider; 1¢/oz. for beer.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-6-eng.html#a1

Provincial Alcohol Markup

12. Under the Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act, provincial liquor boards have the sole authority to import intoxicating liquor. The quantities of alcohol a traveller can bring in must be within the limit set by the province or territory where that person will enter Canada. For more information, the appropriate provincial or territorial liquor control authority where the person enters the country should be contacted before arrival back in Canada.

Basically unless you have bottles of really expensive and hard to get stuff IMHO its not worth bringing it. Also you would be paying for it before you get the container or however it is shipped only then to find bottles smashed or frozen then good luck getting a refund.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Waaaaayyyyyy more hassle than it is worth with alcohol (unless you are talking a heavy investment in cases of wine you have 'laid down' for a decade or so for investment purposes)!

And (not suggesting you would) do not attempt to 'hide' a few bottles in the rest of your shipping. I know someone who did and they found it all, destroyed it, fined him and put him on the CBSA 'sh*t list' for 5 years, so every time he comes back into Canada, he is always stopped and questioned.
Old Sep 2nd 2018, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Let It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond reputeLet It Snow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice and additional information to check, should we decide to ship any, we wil notify cra and contact liquor board.
i’m just wondering why this is more hassle? We won’t be shipping more than we declare.
What’s the experience of those who have shipped? Have their goods been significantly delayed with extra checks? Lots more money to pay? Understand that is an open ended question, and that shipments can / will get additional customs checks for any reason, but is is significantly more likely if we send alcohol?
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Let It Snow
i’m just wondering why this is more hassle?
Welcome to Canada's antiquated prohibition era liquor rules. Alcohol sales are controlled by the provincial governments because they are major revenue generators for the government and they are reluctant to let anyone else take away from that.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 2:58 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

As miserly as it sounds, does anyone know if it's as much hassle to import home-brew as it is to import a commercial collection? I brew my own mead because it's hard to find in shops and when you can find it, it's very expensive.

Obviously it's not a deal breaker.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
As miserly as it sounds, does anyone know if it's as much hassle to import home-brew as it is to import a commercial collection? I brew my own mead because it's hard to find in shops and when you can find it, it's very expensive.

Obviously it's not a deal breaker.
Its the same procedure although with home brewed alcohol you might run into more roadblocks. I won't get into What If scenarios as there are too many. Read post #2 carefully.
IMHO importing home brew would throw up more potential hassle as people call it. If the product is that good then why not just import the kits to make it and then brew it in Canada as opposed to importing the finished product.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:26 am

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its the same procedure although with home brewed alcohol you might run into more roadblocks. I won't get into What If scenarios as there are too many. Read post #2 carefully.
IMHO importing home brew would throw up more potential hassle as people call it. If the product is that good then why not just import the kits to make it and then brew it in Canada as opposed to importing the finished product.
Thanks, that’s what I thought. I’ll do as you suggest and do my best to drink my current stock before leaving.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

iceman4386 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would putting 2 bottles of wine in the Goods to follow pallet and also declaring on the list cause any problems or is any quantity of alcohol a no no?
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by iceman4386
Would putting 2 bottles of wine in the Goods to follow pallet and also declaring on the list cause any problems or is any quantity of alcohol a no no?
I highly doubt that 2 x 750 ml (26 oz) bottles of wine will cause any problems.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:49 pm

I highly doubt that 2 x 750 ml (26 oz) bottles of wine will cause any problems.
It's something I intend to ask the shipping company about when the time comes. One or two of them say "No alcohol" on their website so worth an ask I think.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by crofty82
It's something I intend to ask the shipping company about when the time comes. One or two of them say "No alcohol" on their website so worth an ask I think.
But thats the shippers regulations not CBSA's.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:56 pm

But thats the shippers regulations not CBSA's.
Good point. Ideally would be nice to find a shipper that would let me take a couple of bottles but as I say it's not a deal breaker. If a company that won't allow it comes in with a quote that is significantly cheaper than one that will, it's a no-brainer.
Old Sep 13th 2018, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

In 2013 when we came over, we distributed our drink stock throughout our goods to follow in the 40' shipping container which also had my Land Rover Defender in it.

Our container got a customs inspection in Montreal.

When the container arrived in Kelowna, all of our bottles were on the front seat of the Defender in a box.....as if to say 'found them!'