Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta Salary Checker

Alberta Salary Checker

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about
Default Alberta Salary Checker

Hello

I have an offer rate of $79 per hr, 40 hrs per week for work in Calgary, a family with one child aged 5.

I was hoping for any feedback on how this compares with cost of living i.e. to me it appears a good offer and a quick look, a decent Salary but not living there I would appreciate some further info, any takers?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Salary Checker

Originally Posted by MovALot
Hello

I have an offer rate of $79 per hr, 40 hrs per week for work in Calgary, a family with one child aged 5.

I was hoping for any feedback on how this compares with cost of living i.e. to me it appears a good offer and a quick look, a decent Salary but not living there I would appreciate some further info, any takers?
Welcome to BE!

Are you sure you mean $79 an hour?

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Yes $79 it is thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 7:57 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

$79 per hour, 40 hrs per week, 52 weeks in a year = $164,320

Yeah, I'd say you do alright
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to beholdBertie41 is a splendid one to behold

Hell yeah, do they have any other jobs going? ;-)
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Haha @ Bertie

Thanks for the feedback guys, usual moving minefield. Moved to Oz in 2010, thought salary was great until Perth cost of living hit me like a hammer. I suppose my post was a bit loaded, with only the offer and no real gauge of costs except the usual websites, I didn't want a repeat of past experience.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

MrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really niceMrFloyd is just really nice

The only thing that will be repeating on you is all the expensive caviar you'll be able to afford

Last edited by MrFloyd; Apr 3rd 2014 at 8:43 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes $79 it is thanks
$79 Canadian an hour? What is it doing? Seriously, there are very few jobs that would pay that - perhaps you should double check?

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/wage-outloo...ortOption=wage

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 3rd 2014 at 8:37 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think drug smugglers got paid by the hour just per shipment
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Enjoying the banter! Haha

Siouxie, yes it's a real offer, oil and gas pays well but like I said my query was around cost of living v salary, past experience in Oz is you can get paid mega bucks but cost of living is beyond belief, only thing free in Perth is the sun!
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie, yes it's a real offer, oil and gas pays well but like I said my query was around cost of living v salary, past experience in Oz is you can get paid mega bucks but cost of living is beyond belief, only thing free in Perth is the sun!
The minimum wage in Alberta is $9.95 an hour so I think you should be able to manage on $79 an hour, lol.

Well done!

If you want information about cost of living you would need to say if you want to live in the City or suburbs or country, what kind of house do you need, will you rent or buy, what do you like to do, will you need more than 1 vehicle, etc.

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Siouxie

Your right of course, I was hoping for a rental, 3 bedroom house with garden (dog is coming), looking at suburbs now with obvious differences in costs and locations, inner city living most likely not an option.

I see fuel is cheap so driving relatively inexpensive?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie

Your right of course, I was hoping for a rental, 3 bedroom house with garden (dog is coming), looking at suburbs now with obvious differences in costs and locations, inner city living most likely not an option.

I see fuel is cheap so driving relatively inexpensive?
If you look at padmapper, you will get an idea of costs of houses in varying districts (do a search on BE for which are the 'better' areas to live).

Gas may be cheap but insurance and the cost of purchase of a vehicle are not. I would recommend looking at the wiki for some idea of different costs that may arise. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego..._Topics-Canada

There are lots of members of BE in Calgary/Alberta so I am sure some of them will be along to give you more specific advice.

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Hi
OK, put those of us who work around the E&P industry out of our misery :-) What Calgary-based position pays $79/hr?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I know a couple of people who moved to Calgary from Perth. They told me that Perth was a much more expensive place to live and although the salaries there were high it wasn't worth living there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.