British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Alberta residents - can I pick your brains please? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/alberta-residents-can-i-pick-your-brains-please-832324/)

christmasoompa Apr 29th 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Alberta residents - can I pick your brains please?

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11239973)
Being a person who has collected both I can't say I've ever noticed any major difference on what it is collected on. Please enlighten me.

The main difference that I'd notice as a parent is children's clothing etc - given the amount I already spend on their clothes and shoes, it would mean a big increase if I had to pay tax on that as well! We also have an awful lot of animals, so if their feed etc was taxed that would make a big difference to us. And the other thing is the children's activities, again we do a lot of that (tennis lessons, rugby, riding lessons, swimming, Beavers etc) so taxing those would increase our cost of living substantially.

We don't buy many consumables, we're not the kind of family that has things like Ipads or electronic gadgets (we have one tv we bought 10 years ago!), so for us VAT isn't terribly noticeable as I rarely have to pay it. Perhaps if we did have lots of things like that it would impact me more.

All of our house renovations have been VAT free, so again that's made a big difference to us (it was completely derelict when we bought it and we've spent a lot on the renovations). Plus utilities are either zero rated (water) or 5% at most, so that's in line with Canada.

VAT is higher, but it's also charged on much less stuff, so unless you spend lots in shops it again probably evens out, or even would work out higher in Canada for a family like us that doesn't really spend in the shops other than on food.

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11239973)
Anyway I worked it out multiple times when I first moved to Calgary and I was saving substantial amounts. I honestly don't understand how people say the cost of living is roughly the same, that hasn't been my experience at all. Just on the taxes you should end up better off.

Out of interest, how long ago was it you moved to Canada? I suspect it was a while ago. It would be really interesting to do a comparison sometime of our monthly outgoings! :lol:

Harrisonasa Apr 29th 2014 9:42 pm

Not been on for a couple of days so just caught up with all of this. Thanks for the input.

I should briefly mention a few things if I haven't already.
I do hate the UK and, yes, this is a form of escape. But it is by no means my first time emigrating. I lived in Switzerland as a child and in the Canary Islands for almost 10 years as an adult (returned to the UK last year actually).
The UK was always to be a stop gap while we knuckled down and worked out where was out best choice to move to.
We went through the med countries/islands but hubby isn't keen after the experience with lack of work the last time. France has extortionate taxes for foreigners (and in general). Switzerland has no work, then there is Italy where hubby isn't keen to go. Small islands he has had enough with, Australia is too far and too many things that kill you :D :D (yes, I know about the bears), and then we are kind of looking over the water to the US and Canada. US is near impossible to get in which leaves Canada.
he has been there, I haven't.

Alberta comes as first choice purely because they are accepting carpenters which is what my husband's trade is. The idea/hope/dream(?) is then to relocate after obtaining citizenship to maybe BC or somewhere with a bit more "normality" and less landlockedness :).
This will take time I realise.

I am not expecting things to be "better" there however the sheer fact that it is not the UK is already a HUGE bonus in my eyes.

Yes, I admit to being slightly daunted at the prospect of living in Alberta because there seems to be a fair bit of negativity (I now picture Walter White in New Hampshire in the 5th season of Breaking Bad - I think it was the 5th). But I am hoping that a: that is wrong, b: that we enjoy it and c: that the prospect of moving on a little down the line to a different province becomes a possibility
:)

scootb Apr 29th 2014 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jericho79 (Post 11240041)
This is a silly argument. I would say taxes are lower here, but cost of living is considerably higher.
The common response on here about salaries etc is that you pretty much need to have a joint income of $100k minimum to be comfortable.

I would imagine most people in the UK have an income of much less than that, yet live more comfortably than they would here on the same money.

We have been living much better off on my income of $75k,and that's renting in an expensive part of Edmonton,family of 5 with a dog!
Its not hard if you live within your means and don't need all the latest brand name crap.
Back home we had child benefit and child tax credit(we qualify for that here this October),and the wife had incap,here we have only had my wage and we are still way,way better off than back in the UK.
Like others have said it pays to shop around!

stewie_griffin Apr 30th 2014 3:19 am

I wonder if people's expectations of life rise as soon as they emigrate. There must be a natural feeling of excitement and expectation that soon dissipates when reality sets in and you end up doing exactly the same things as you used to do before you emigrated: going to work, commuting, doing laundry and cleaning the bathroom. The only difference is that now you're doing them in an unfamiliar environment thousands of miles away from friends and family.

I've lived in Alberta for almost 7 years now, having moved from the UK. I certainly don't regret it and I wouldn't want to return, but Alberta is not a paradise: it's mostly flat, cold for most of the year, has almost no history and even less culture. It's relatively expensive with a boom/bust economy based entirely on petrochemicals.

But... I do actually really like it. The people are practical and friendly, the prairies have a stark beauty and you can't let winter stop you from enjoying yourself. I get UK TV whenever I want and I've been to ballet, the symphony and other cultural events.

I came to Alberta for the same reason as most people: because of the cash.

rivingtonpike Apr 30th 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11240931)
I wonder if people's expectations of life rise as soon as they emigrate. There must be a natural feeling of excitement and expectation that soon dissipates when reality sets in and you end up doing exactly the same things as you used to do before you emigrated: going to work, commuting, doing laundry and cleaning the bathroom. The only difference is that now you're doing them in an unfamiliar environment thousands of miles away from friends and family.

I've lived in Alberta for almost 7 years now, having moved from the UK. I certainly don't regret it and I wouldn't want to return, but Alberta is not a paradise: it's mostly flat, cold for most of the year, has almost no history and even less culture. It's relatively expensive with a boom/bust economy based entirely on petrochemicals.

But... I do actually really like it. The people are practical and friendly, the prairies have a stark beauty and you can't let winter stop you from enjoying yourself. I get UK TV whenever I want and I've been to ballet, the symphony and other cultural events.

I came to Alberta for the same reason as most people: because of the cash.

I think I feel most sorry for those families or individuals who moved here full of hope and expectation, only to have the dream squashed by reality. We came here with a few months recce experience, but even that was just a drop in the ocean compared to the reality of day to day living. It too us a few years to feel fairly settled - and we've been lucky, with a good set of circumstances behind us. We have some British friends here who have stuck it out for 18 months, but who just can't accept it as the norm and settle. I think they're heading back to the UK in a couple of months.

My Gran would never leave Lancashire and the bossom of her family; she can have it!

Horses for courses I suppose.

Harrisonasa Apr 30th 2014 5:56 am

Originally Posted by stewie_griffin (Post 11240931)
I wonder if people's expectations of life rise as soon as they emigrate.

In my case I loved LOVED living away from the UK. If it hadn't have been for husbands lack of work there is no way I would have left the Canaries.
So I guess my expectations of life DID rise. I was happy. I loved my surroundings. Not a day went by I wasn't thankful to be there and have those views.
Returning to the UK has confirmed all my beliefs and so there is not a chance in hell I'm sticking about :)

Lychee Apr 30th 2014 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa (Post 11240474)
Yes, I admit to being slightly daunted at the prospect of living in Alberta because there seems to be a fair bit of negativity (I now picture Walter White in New Hampshire in the 5th season of Breaking Bad - I think it was the 5th). But I am hoping that a: that is wrong, b: that we enjoy it and c: that the prospect of moving on a little down the line to a different province becomes a possibility
:)

Haha, don't picture Walter White in New Hampshire. Picture the Coen Brothers' movie, Fargo. Or better yet, see if you can track down the new TV series Fargo, which was actually filmed in Alberta!

angeljaye Apr 30th 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Donnykins (Post 11237180)
I thought I'd get some flack. My reasons for moving are somewhat shallow and naive - I know this. Alberta, or indeed Canada may not end up our 'forever home' , but for now it's a break from the pressure cooker that is now the UK. Much has changed in just a few short years. Yes, there are the world-class universities, culture, arts etc... in the UK, but who can afford to visit/use them? We are currently playing 40% income tax and 20% VAT. We have good salaries, but are not living as comfortably as we should be, or indeed once were. I appreciate that there are a lot of people worse off but...

I know the streets of Canada are not paved with gold, and I also understand that it will have plenty of its own issues, but I'm not alone in wanting out of the UK. The past 5 years of so, have been too much for most, and it is only going to get worse. The UK came bottom out of all of the rest of Europe for standard of living and quality of life.

:goodpost:

Harrisonasa May 2nd 2014 9:14 pm

Lol. Thanks. Didn't realise Fargo was filmed there! Must watch it! :)

Steve_ May 5th 2014 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Jericho79 (Post 11240041)
This is a silly argument. I would say taxes are lower here, but cost of living is considerably higher.
The common response on here about salaries etc is that you pretty much need to have a joint income of $100k minimum to be comfortable.

I would imagine most people in the UK have an income of much less than that, yet live more comfortably than they would here on the same money.

It's not a silly argument, like I said, worked it out multiple times over the years. Even if the cost of living overall were the same (which I dispute) you get to keep more money because of the lower taxes so you are better off.

Someone casually saying you need $100,000 is purely anecdotal and based on their lifestyle; actually sit down and work it out carefully.

The only things I've come across that are more expensive generally are car insurance (although in my case it's something like 15% more so not a big deal) and dentistry isn't covered by AHS. But NHS dentists are crap anyway imx so in reality the cost is roughly the same as using a private dentist. Certain grocery items are a bit more expensive (especially alcohol), depends on what you eat.

If you have a medical condition and need prescriptions for it (I do) then that costs more because it's $25 per prescription (assuming you have a plan) whereas in the UK it's covered by the NHS but the amount I save in tax easily covers the additional expense and then some.

Anyway, in my case, it's not a theory, it's a very certain fact as my savings can attest to. :p Experiences may vary.

Like I said further back, I do think some of it is lack of experience in the best place or best way to buy something in Canada, which is not the same as in Europe.

justkidding May 5th 2014 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11247134)
It's not a silly argument, like I said, worked it out multiple times over the years. Even if the cost of living overall were the same (which I dispute) you get to keep more money because of the lower taxes so you are better off.

Someone casually saying you need $100,000 is purely anecdotal and based on their lifestyle; actually sit down and work it out carefully.

The only things I've come across that are more expensive generally are car insurance (although in my case it's something like 15% more so not a big deal) and dentistry isn't covered by AHS. But NHS dentists are crap anyway imx so in reality the cost is roughly the same as using a private dentist. Certain grocery items are a bit more expensive (especially alcohol), depends on what you eat.

If you have a medical condition and need prescriptions for it (I do) then that costs more because it's $25 per prescription (assuming you have a plan) whereas in the UK it's covered by the NHS but the amount I save in tax easily covers the additional expense and then some.

Anyway, in my case, it's not a theory, it's a very certain fact as my savings can attest to. :p Experiences may vary.

Like I said further back, I do think some of it is lack of experience in the best place or best way to buy something in Canada, which is not the same as in Europe.

Doesn't this vary by what kind of benefit plan you have? I don't pay anything for prescriptions.

Steve_ May 6th 2014 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Harrisonasa (Post 11241154)
there is no way I would have left the Canaries.

Umm... like I keep saying, do not underestimate the weather. And if you're used to the weather there, then the weather here is going to be a shock. We've still got snow on the ground (in fact it snowed over the weekend). I'd say December through February you just don't go outside unless you absolutely have to.

Steve_ May 6th 2014 4:36 am

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11247654)
Doesn't this vary by what kind of benefit plan you have? I don't pay anything for prescriptions.

Well yeah, I meant ABC which is the most popular one.

Steve_ May 6th 2014 4:37 am

Oh and cellphones. Fortunately I usually have access to wifi.

TanieBird May 6th 2014 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11248537)
Umm... like I keep saying, do not underestimate the weather. And if you're used to the weather there, then the weather here is going to be a shock. We've still got snow on the ground (in fact it snowed over the weekend). I'd say December through February you just don't go outside unless you absolutely have to.

:goodpost: +1 to this. The weather and my low vitamin D levels are making me HATE it here right now. We had a 20 degree temperature swing from Thursday to Friday last week 22 down to 2 and snow. I am keeping everything crossed that we eventually get a decent summer this year, we don't need any more moisture that's for sure. My 6 year old step daughter told me on Sunday that she is done with rain and snow and wants sun shine, so it's not just affecting adults either.

Novocastrian May 6th 2014 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TanieBird (Post 11248925)
:goodpost: +1 to this. The weather and my low vitamin D levels are making me HATE it here right now. We had a 20 degree temperature swing from Thursday to Friday last week 22 down to 2 and snow. I am keeping everything crossed that we eventually get a decent summer this year, we don't need any more moisture that's for sure. My 6 year old step daughter told me on Sunday that she is done with rain and snow and wants sun shine, so it's not just affecting adults either.

Isn't it around now that the floods start?

Editha May 6th 2014 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11249103)

And the mosquitoes. Don't forget the mosquitoes.

Novocastrian May 6th 2014 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11249117)
And the mosquitoes. Don't forget the mosquitoes.

And I'd forgotten the mosquitoes. :)

justkidding May 6th 2014 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11248538)
Well yeah, I meant ABC which is the most popular one.

I'm not quite getting this. Do you pay $25 for every prescription? Isn't there different plans within Blue Cross? Is this your employers plan?

TanieBird May 6th 2014 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11249103)

With the amount of snow we've had there have been many alerts already regarding flooding in the Province. Hopefully it is nothing like last year.

Ah yes, mosquitos. I still get eaten alive here. They were really bad last year with all the extra water around and I fear this year will be the same (grass is green already when you can see it!). I've tried every trick in the book to not get bitten by them, but none of them work, I'm just tasty. Runs in my blood apparently as my dad has the same problem as did my nan.

Novocastrian May 6th 2014 11:00 am

Originally Posted by TanieBird (Post 11249159)
With the amount of snow we've had there have been many alerts already regarding flooding in the Province. Hopefully it is nothing like last year.

Ah yes, mosquitos. I still get eaten alive here. They were really bad last year with all the extra water around and I fear this year will be the same (grass is green already when you can see it!). I've tried every trick in the book to not get bitten by them, but none of them work, I'm just tasty. Runs in my blood apparently as my dad has the same problem as did my nan.

I'm glad that you're living the dream in Alberta.

<gladder of course that I'm not>

Editha May 6th 2014 11:14 am

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11249151)
I'm not quite getting this. Do you pay $25 for every prescription? Isn't there different plans within Blue Cross? Is this your employers plan?

I'm coming late to this conversation, so forgive me if I repeat something someone else has said because I haven't read any contribution.

We are returning to the UK next month after living in Edmonton for the last 8 years.

We found the cost of living here high compared with rural Staffordshire.

Food is much more expensive. I found clothing expensive and poor quality compared with the UK, so I bought most of my clothing in the UK on my annual visit home. My husband's clothing didn't seem so expensive in comparison, but he disliked the styles and bought most of his stuff mail order from the UK.

We ended up spending about the same on utilities, but probably a bit more for internet, TV and phone. Gas and electricity are cheaper, but you are using a lot more.

Furniture we bought from IKEA, and prices are about the same in both countries, just a little cheaper in Alberta because of the low sales tax.

The outstanding bargain was computers. Apple products are much cheaper.

I'm not sure about taxes. Sales tax is very low compared with VAT, but that doesn't really show up in shop prices. Income tax depends on what you are earning and your family composition. Generally you will be paying less, but the system here favours higher earners. City tax is about the same.

Whether housing is cheaper here depends on where you are coming from and whether you are buying or renting. Rents are high in Edmonton at the moment and there has been house price inflation for almost every year we've lived here.

Editha May 6th 2014 11:20 am

Forgot the question of health care. Private dental work here is about 3 x the price you'll pay in the UK, and in Edmonton it is generally rather poor quality. If you are coming to Edmo, get your dental work done before you come.

Our Blue Cross insurance was paid for by my husband's employer, and a very good deal. It paid for our prescriptions in full, chiropody ('podiatry' here), physiotherapy, and most of our dental care, although I still had to fork out nearly $2,000 dollars for bridgework that fell apart after a few weeks.

Shard May 6th 2014 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11238454)
But there's hardly any traffic outside of town, so it's not like driving in Europe. Yes it is a long and boring drive to say, Regina but personally I don't feel as stressed as I would driving 100 miles in Europe.

Why on earth do you feel stressed to drive 100 miles in Europe? There's plenty to see and places to stop in that 100 miles. Alternatively you can take motorways and bypass it all.

And then there's bathos of driving from "Calgary to Regina". Not quite Amsterdam to Rome, is it!

Steve_ May 7th 2014 6:42 am

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11249151)

If you're on the govt. ABC plan it's $25 for a prescription, regardless of the actual cost (provided it's covered), although they ration the amounts.

caretaker May 7th 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11249702)
And then there's bathos of driving from "Calgary to Regina". Not quite Amsterdam to Rome, is it!

About half the distance, odd example to use for comparison. When possible I like to do long boring stretches of highway through the prairies at night or in the wee hours, and mountains in daylight.

Steve_ May 7th 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11249702)
Why on earth do you feel stressed to drive 100 miles in Europe?

Because there is this thing called: "traffic".

Which was my point - so it's less stressful.

Steve_ May 7th 2014 6:50 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11250664)
When possible I like to do long boring stretches of highway through the prairies at night or in the wee hours, and mountains in daylight.

Actually I find doing the mountains at night to be less stressful if there isn't snow on the road because you can't see them, you can only see the reflective strips so I don't feel quite as hemmed in, plus you're not as likely to get stuck behind a semi or an RV and if you do, overtaking isn't as difficult.

Steve_ May 7th 2014 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11249182)
Food is much more expensive.

I just don't agree on this one, not generally speaking anyway. I think some people suffer from an optical illusion when they first arrive in places outside the UK because of the exchange rate. It gives you the false impression that things are more expensive than they actually are.

For example I just went on Tesco.com and a litre of Tropicana OJ is £2.48. I bought a 3.49 litre jug a few days ago that was $8.99.

So 3.49 x 2.48 x 1.85 = $16.01 - 20% VAT = $12.81

I.e. a lot more in the UK.

Now you could say, ah, but buy one litre of OJ in Canada and the prices are more comparable. But this is the point, I have a whacking great fridge in Canada and in the UK it would be much smaller, so I have the advantage in Canada of buying in larger quantities. Moreover this means less trips to the store, which means less gas, which means further savings. And electricity is cheaper so there's no downside to the larger fridge.

But anyway, let me look at the price of one litre of OJ from the flyer on their website. 88 cents for one litre of "No Name" OJ from Loblaw's (aka Superstore, Box, No Frills), and Tesco "Everyday Value" OJ is 65p, 52p without VAT. Multiply by 1.85 = 96 cents.

So not much difference but slightly more expensive at Tesco.

Like I said, you need to sit down and actually work it all out carefully, several times on here people have mentioned things they think are more expensive and that's made me sit down with the supermarket receipts and work it out, definitely it's cheaper here, occasionally I find a few things more expensive here, such as chocolate - but that was an illegal price fixing scheme that has been cracked down on now.

Shard May 7th 2014 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11250757)
I just don't agree on this one, not generally speaking anyway. I think some people suffer from an optical illusion when they first arrive in places outside the UK because of the exchange rate. It gives you the false impression that things are more expensive than they actually are.

For example I just went on Tesco.com and a litre of Tropicana OJ is £2.48. I bought a 3.49 litre jug a few days ago that was $8.99.

Now you could say, ah, but buy one litre of OJ in Canada and the prices are more comparable. But this is the point, I have a whacking great fridge in Canada and in the UK it would be much smaller, so I have the advantage in Canada of buying in larger quantities. Moreover this means less trips to the store, which means less gas, which means further savings. And electricity is cheaper so there's no downside to the larger fridge.

But anyway, let me look at the price of one litre of OJ from the flyer on their website. 88 cents for one litre of "No Name" OJ from Loblaw's (aka Superstore, Box, No Frills), and Tesco "Everyday Value" OJ is 65p, 52p without VAT. Multiply by 1.85 = 96 cents.

Like I said, you need to sit down and actually work it all out carefully, several times on here people have mentioned things they think are more expensive and that's made me sit down with the supermarket receipts and work it out, definitely it's cheaper here, occasionally I find a few things more expensive here, such as chocolate - but that was an illegal price fixing scheme that has been cracked down on now.

All very well, but you're disregarding the hidden discounts Tesco (and other UK supers) now give. Not uncommon to have a save £5 on a £30 shop voucher, plus you get loyalty points which translate into good discounts elsewhere. On the whole, given the intense competition, UK supermarkets are cheaper. And better. :p

Steve_ May 7th 2014 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11249187)
Private dental work here is about 3 x the price you'll pay in the UK,

Don't agree on that one either and my current dentist is miles better than the one I had in the UK (who was private).

Sally Redux May 7th 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11250774)
All very well, but you're disregarding the hidden discounts Tesco (and other UK supers) now give. Not uncommon to have a save £5 on a £30 shop voucher, plus you get loyalty points which translate into good discounts elsewhere. On the whole, given the intense competition, UK supermarkets are cheaper. And better. :p

My husband was amazed by all the 'bogof's last time he was over there :lol:

Steve_ May 7th 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11250774)

There are loyalty schemes in Canada as well. Coupons galore. (And bear in mind I took off the VAT - which you would have to pay, which automatically means 15% more than Alberta although admittedly most food items are zero-rated in both countries.)

Don't take my word for it, work it out. Regardless of who is right it will certainly be informative.

I was always very suspicious about the chocolate for example, and it turned out the wholesaler and the manufacturers were crooked.

Also you discover which goods are subject to higher tariffs. Most of this stuff moves in international trade so if the price differential is big, you should be suspicious.

Shard May 7th 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11250786)
There are loyalty schemes in Canada as well. Coupons galore. (And bear in mind I took off the VAT - which you would have to pay, which automatically means 15% more than Alberta although admittedly most food items are zero-rated in both countries.)

Don't take my word for it, work it out. Regardless of who is right it will certainly be informative.

I was always very suspicious about the chocolate for example, and it turned out the wholesaler and the manufacturers were crooked.

Also you discover which goods are subject to higher tariffs. Most of this stuff moves in international trade so if the price differential is big, you should be suspicious.

Well who knows. Could be much of a muchness. As it happens, I typically pay £2 for a litre of Tropicana (not 2.48).

Editha May 7th 2014 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11250757)

Tesco's prices, even online, vary according to where in the country you are living. I did say that we moved from Staffordshire, where food is significantly cheaper than the South-East.

I don't drink orange juice and if I did I wouldn't want a 3 litre pack sitting in a giant fridge. But, if I did want to buy in bulk in the UK, I'd get a 3 litre pack of Waitrose OJ from Ocado. That's mail order, so no trecking round a giant warehouse, or money spent on petrol, and the cost would be £4, which using the same rate of exchange that you are using, translates to $7.40 -- in other words almost exactly the same price per litre. But, since the oranges grow in California, I would expect orange juice to be one item that is cheaper this side of the pond.

Incidentally, there is no VAT on essential foods in the UK, so that part of your calculation was redundant.

I think your problem is that you didn't know how to shop around in the UK.

Editha May 7th 2014 7:57 am

I should add that the deal you got on Tropicana in Canada was outstanding. My local Save-on-foods is currently offering two litres for $7 and that is a special offer.

That is also more the price difference that I am used to here, compared with the UK -- around 30% more for food in Edmonton compared with the UK.

justkidding May 7th 2014 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 11250660)
If you're on the govt. ABC plan it's $25 for a prescription, regardless of the actual cost (provided it's covered), although they ration the amounts.

Nope, still don't get it. What is the government Blue Cross plan?

So, if your penicillan cost $10 you would pay $25!?

Siouxie May 7th 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11251142)

http://bit.ly/1g9m2Gh

:p

http://www.health.alberta.ca/service...non-group.html

justkidding May 7th 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11251153)

Yes, I did that, thank you:frown:
Nowhere does it say you pay $25 for each prescription. It says you pay 30% to a MAXIMUM of $25.

His posts come across as "This is the way it is" but I think he is full of it.;)

Just trying to get the facts into this thread so that it is not misleading to anyone.

Siouxie May 7th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11251250)
Yes, I did that, thank you:frown:
Nowhere does it say you pay $25 for each prescription. It says you pay 30% to a MAXIMUM of $25.

His posts come across as "This is the way it is" but I think he is full of it.;)

Just trying to get the facts into this thread so that it is not misleading to anyone.

If you knew the answer and had already looked at the website, why didn't you just post the information instead of asking the question?

Originally Posted by justkidding (Post 11251142)

I genuinely thought you didn't know what it was - hence my (tongue in cheek) link.

Ah well.