Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta or Ontario

Wikiposts

Alberta or Ontario

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta or Ontario

Originally Posted by dbd33
Considering that the major employer in Kingston is the prison system, I think we can call a potential increase in staffing of one third as a mixed blessing.
Not "the" major employer.

http://livework.kingstoncanada.com/e...remployers.asp

The following all employ more people than Correctional Services:

- CFB Kingston (includes Royal Military College)
- Queen´s University
- Kingston General Hospital
- Limestone District School Board

And unless Kingston General Hospital is full of old people paying each other to look after each other, I suspect that there are doctors, nurses, techs, etc. employed there.

In addition there are other sectors (made up of multiple employers) that employ more people in Kingston than Correctional Services.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 2nd 2011 at 1:29 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:48 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
- CFB Kingston (includes Royal Military College)
- Queen´s University
- Kingston General Hospital
- Limestone District School Board
Surely these aren't relevant to an immigrant and are not a reason to move to a town. The military is for citizens, an immigrant wanting to go and dominate the population of the middle east could more easily join his or her own armed forces. Education is a difficult sector to break into, people who work in that trade have to go where a specific job is so there's no point in choosing a town. Doctoring, ok, it's relatively easier to convert to being a doctor in Canada than it is to gain work in the other sectors, but I believe you have to first go to wherever a residency is available.

I don't think there's a case for making Kingston, or any other small town, your target destination. If a job comes up and it happens to be in Kingston then maybe it's worth looking at, just as it would be anywhere else.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:03 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Surely these aren't relevant to an immigrant and are not a reason to move to a town. The military is for citizens, an immigrant wanting to go and dominate the population of the middle east could more easily join his or her own armed forces. Education is a difficult sector to break into, people who work in that trade have to go where a specific job is so there's no point in choosing a town. Doctoring, ok, it's relatively easier to convert to being a doctor in Canada than it is to gain work in the other sectors, but I believe you have to first go to wherever a residency is available.

I don't think there's a case for making Kingston, or any other small town, your target destination. If a job comes up and it happens to be in Kingston then maybe it's worth looking at, just as it would be anywhere else.
Job to go to, or potential of having one, has to make up more than 50% of anyone's decision. As the old BE adage goes - you can't eat mountains.