Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta GDL licence

Alberta GDL licence

Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

2Huskies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta GDL licence

Does anyone know how it works for changing a UK learners over to the GDL system, from what i know they have a agreement with the UK.Also i know you don't have to take the written test (learners) before they give you the GDL.
What i need to know is do you have to wait 12 months from getting the GDL to taking the test that Canadians have to or is that part waivered due to previously holding a learner's in the UK?
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Alberta GDL licence

Originally Posted by 2Huskies
Does anyone know how it works for changing a UK learners over to the GDL system, from what i know they have a agreement with the UK.Also i know you don't have to take the written test (learners) before they give you the GDL.
What i need to know is do you have to wait 12 months from getting the GDL to taking the test that Canadians have to or is that part waivered due to previously holding a learner's in the UK?
There is no reciprocal agreement for learners licences from the UK. So what you will do is go to the registry with your passport, work visa or PR card, proof of address and the UK licence. You will have to do the written test and hand in your UK licence. When you hand in the UK licence, the gov will input your amount of driving time from the UK to Alberta. So as long as you have at least a year of driving as a learner in the UK, you will be able to go on your basic road test right away.

You will however, have to wait the 2 years as a GDL driver and then do the advanced road test to become a fully licenced driver.