Alberta or bc

Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta or bc

Originally Posted by bcmama
For us Kelowna was the winner for a young family. It is a city but has a smaller town feel to it. Compared to Vancouver it's cheaper housing, car insurance and less crime than Vancouver, but it's only a 4hr drive away, although it has a decent airport too. Better weather than Vancouver, we've been at the beach all summer and we have skiing on our doorstep. Interior Health is a massive employer and the hospital is expanding plus your also commutable to Vernon hospital if needs be and there are drugstores a plenty here. Best of luck with your search.
May want to double check on crime and its on the rise which is the opposite of the national trend.

The Kelowna metropolitan area, which includes the city of Kelowna and neighbouring cities, had a crime rate in 2012 of 8,875 crimes for every 100,000 people, up six per cent over 2011.

That gives Kelowna the highest crime rate of the 33 major cities tracked by Statistics Canada

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Kel...#ixzz2bRQraYHr
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome bingbong. You've done the tour but I second the opinion above about looking again. People are kind here and share experiences etc which correspondingly provides pointers -- but nothing beats your own look-see again IMO.

Best of luck on your plans and move.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:35 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingbong180
Hi. I am planning on moving to canada within next couple of years once I pass my Canadian pharmacy exams for foreign graduates. I was wondering which province people think is best for a young family in terms of quality of life, tax, lifestyle etc. I did a moose tour last year of west and east canada and have seen a lot. I visited vancouver which is beautiful, but was thinking of maybe somewhere like mission, Squamish or abbotsford if I was to settle in bc, as these offer better value for money it seems. Could anyone tell me a little more about these places? I stopped briefly at Squamish on way to whistler, and although small it offers value for money. Kelowna is beautiful but a little isolated for me, in terms of proximity to big urban areas. There seem to be more jobs available in Alberta in small towns, I suppose as some are pretty isolated. I've been told spruce grove is a nice area near Edmonton and St. Albert was voted one of best places to live. I'd be looking to spend around $500000 on a property.

Are you an evangelical christian? if you are Mission would be right up your alley, along with Abbotsford and more rural parts of Alberta. If not a Christian you should try for Sikh as that's the other popular religion Abby/Mission way. I have heard of people who commute from Mission to Vancouver. That's all I'm saying. I've heard of it. I wouldn't do it nor would anyone I know, cos that's like REALLLLLLY far. YOu would lose a lot of your day commuting. It would suck. Trust.

Squamish is the poor man's North Van. It's where people go who want that lifestyle but can't afford North or West Van proper. So it's growing, but the reality is teh transit is shit and you are reliant on a highway and bridges to get to Vancouver. It would be better if you could land a job in West or North Van or even Squamish. And you'd be much closer to Whistler, which is nice.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 9th 2013 at 5:42 am.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 6:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Are you an evangelical christian? if you are Mission would be right up your alley, along with Abbotsford and more rural parts of Alberta. If not a Christian you should try for Sikh as that's the other popular religion Abby/Mission way. I have heard of people who commute from Mission to Vancouver. That's all I'm saying. I've heard of it. I wouldn't do it nor would anyone I know, cos that's like REALLLLLLY far. YOu would lose a lot of your day commuting. It would suck. Trust.

Squamish is the poor man's North Van. It's where people go who want that lifestyle but can't afford North or West Van proper. So it's growing, but the reality is teh transit is shit and you are reliant on a highway and bridges to get to Vancouver. It would be better if you could land a job in West or North Van or even Squamish. And you'd be much closer to Whistler, which is nice.
If you work 9-5 M-F and have holidays off, the West Coast Express is not a bad commute, takes a bit over an hour if you ride it all the way to Mission.

There are a good amount of people who start and end on Mission, I was always surprised how busy it was.

A good amount of people commute from all over the Fraser Valley, the jobs out that way tend to not pay well, but housing is cheaper so for many the cost of the commute is worth it.

70 minutes on the West Coast Express isn't that bad of a commute. There are plenty of commutes within the city on transit that take almost as long.

From my house in East Vancouver, to YVR, takes 1 bus, 1 skytrain, and the Canada Line, and Translink estimates the trip at 59 minutes.

The commute within the "city" can be just as long if not longer, and the buses and trains in the city are not nearly as comfortable.

Obviously if you have a car and choose to drive, it different.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 11:04 am
Just Joined

bingbong180 is an unknown quantity at this point

I noticed when passing through small towns in Fraser valley I saw a lot of Kingdom Halls used by jehovas witness's. I was surprised because you rarely see
Them in uk.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:43 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you think Kelowna is isolated I'm not sure why you would even consider Squamish.

Based on you Kelowna comment, for Alberta you likely should look at St. Albert, Spruce Grove, maybe Leduc for around Edmonton. However most think Edmonton itself is pretty isolated.

Around Calgary there's Airdrie, Cochrane, and Okotoks. High River is not too far out from Calgary but given the recent floods in High River it's best to avoid there for at least a little while. I wouldn't discount Calgary either.

Personally I would choose the locations around Calgary before choosing those around Edmonton. I lived in Edmonton for nine years and there's really not a lot wrong with the place I just prefer Calgary as does my wife who was born and raised in Edmonton.

Aviator has already answered for the lower mainland of B.C.
all depends on preference i guess..i have lived in Edmonton and now live in Calgary and much prefer Edmonton over Calgary
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
all depends on preference i guess..i have lived in Edmonton and now live in Calgary and much prefer Edmonton over Calgary
Care to explain why?
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:16 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Care to explain why?
Sure... it is easier to get around..has better and newer facilities..i also find it a bit more relaxed than Calgary a bit more quirky if you like or a bit more homely. Yes some parts of the city are a shit hole but i wouldn't live or go there maybe more so than Calgary..i just think Edmonton gets a bad rap for no reason
Old Aug 9th 2013, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Sure... it is easier to get around..has better and newer facilities..i also find it a bit more relaxed than Calgary a bit more quirky if you like or a bit more homely. Yes some parts of the city are a shit hole but i wouldn't live or go there maybe more so than Calgary..i just think Edmonton gets a bad rap for no reason
Thanks

I have never been there. Most of the people I know that have any real knowledge of it (not just visited WEM) have attended University there. I don't know anyone that particularly slates it but, for various reasons, they prefer Calgary.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 5:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

I have never been there. Most of the people I know that have any real knowledge of it (not just visited WEM) have attended University there. I don't know anyone that particularly slates it but, for various reasons, they prefer Calgary.
I liked Edmonton when I lived there (9 years), but liked Calgary more when we were transferred here in 1974. Perhaps Edmonton has improved since then.

I found Edmonton when compared with Calgary flat and boring with no hills to speak of except for going down into the river valley and certainly no mountain views. I didn't think Edmonton (except for the River Valley) had as much open park space like Fish Creek or Nose Hill. I also think Calgary has better weather especially the Chinooks in winter.

I think Calgary's proximity to not just Banff but also to Kananaskis much better than Edmonton to Jasper.

Edmonton was built much more on a grid system than Calgary but I prefer the Calgary layout, not quite so square and boring.

We liked at the time the better shopping in Calgary, and certainly now-a days Calgary has better air connections.

Calgary is a much more white collar city whereas Edmonton in more blue collar (my perception).

All that said if I were transferred back to Edmonton I could quite happily live there.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 9th 2013 at 5:22 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingbong180
quality of life, tax, lifestyle etc.
Vancouver is very crowded, just look at a satellite image of the Fraser Valley with the 49th parallel running through it and you will see why, the city proper has a higher population density than London. Traffic is a nightmare with all the tunnels and bridges, taxes are higher than Alberta except for income tax if you earn less than $100,000 but given that healthcare in Alberta is "free" and there is no PST then generally you are better off in Alberta. Plus the cost of living is lower in Alberta.

People say to move to BC because the weather is better, I don't think it is, it's sunny and dry in Alberta during the winter but yes it is much colder.

Edmonton imo is a nicer town than Calgary because it's more of a traditional conurbation, but the weather is better in Calgary plus it's slightly less isolated so Calgary wins. You can move to Red Deer, Lethbridge etc. but then you've got a long drive to the airport and decent shopping.

I was actually at Ikea yesterday and in the parking space next to mine was a guy from Montana who had come up to Calgary to get some flat pack furniture.

Plus for $500,000 you can buy a lot more house in Calgary than you can in Vancouver...
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:37 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been there.
It's the third time at least you've said this. Why not just get in your car and go up there for the weekend? How can you have lived here this long and not gone to the WEM?

It has to be said that is the most boring drive in the history of creation during the summer.

But you can go on a boat ride on the Saskatchewan River.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's the third time at least you've said this. Why not just get in your car and go up there for the weekend? How can you have lived here this long and not gone to the WEM?

It has to be said that is the most boring drive in the history of creation during the summer.

But you can go on a boat ride on the Saskatchewan River.
Simple really, I haven't had a need/wish to go there
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:10 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta winter: your backdoor can freeze shut for months at a time (this really happened to someone I know)
Vancouver: you'll get wet in winter.

Alberta: urban sprawl
Vancouver: high density but lots of parks, mountain views, the waterfront etc. etc. For instance Burnaby, which has lots of towers, has 25% of it's land set aside for parks - so it really doesn't feel crowded.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alberta winter: your backdoor can freeze shut for months at a time (this really happened to someone I know)
Vancouver: you'll get wet in winter.
The whole of Alberta? I don't know how anyone's back door in Alberta could freeze shut for months at a time in any location with more than 15,000 people.

Alberta: urban sprawl
Vancouver: high density but lots of parks, mountain views, the waterfront etc. etc. For instance Burnaby, which has lots of towers, has 25% of it's land set aside for parks - so it really doesn't feel crowded.
The whole of Alberta has urban sprawl but the whole of BC doesn't. You'll have to explain that one to me.

I haven't travelled extensively to parts of BC but, from what I have seen, I would imagine that, outside of Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, population density in both Provinces is likely to be very similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.