Alberta or bc

Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

bingbong180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alberta or bc

Hi. I am planning on moving to canada within next couple of years once I pass my Canadian pharmacy exams for foreign graduates. I was wondering which province people think is best for a young family in terms of quality of life, tax, lifestyle etc. I did a moose tour last year of west and east canada and have seen a lot. I visited vancouver which is beautiful, but was thinking of maybe somewhere like mission, Squamish or abbotsford if I was to settle in bc, as these offer better value for money it seems. Could anyone tell me a little more about these places? I stopped briefly at Squamish on way to whistler, and although small it offers value for money. Kelowna is beautiful but a little isolated for me, in terms of proximity to big urban areas. There seem to be more jobs available in Alberta in small towns, I suppose as some are pretty isolated. I've been told spruce grove is a nice area near Edmonton and St. Albert was voted one of best places to live. I'd be looking to spend around $500000 on a property.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta or bc

Originally Posted by bingbong180
Hi. I am planning on moving to canada within next couple of years once I pass my Canadian pharmacy exams for foreign graduates. I was wondering which province people think is best for a young family in terms of quality of life, tax, lifestyle etc. I did a moose tour last year of west and east canada and have seen a lot. I visited vancouver which is beautiful, but was thinking of maybe somewhere like mission, Squamish or abbotsford if I was to settle in bc, as these offer better value for money it seems. Could anyone tell me a little more about these places? I stopped briefly at Squamish on way to whistler, and although small it offers value for money. Kelowna is beautiful but a little isolated for me, in terms of proximity to big urban areas. There seem to be more jobs available in Alberta in small towns, I suppose as some are pretty isolated. I've been told spruce grove is a nice area near Edmonton and St. Albert was voted one of best places to live. I'd be looking to spend around $500000 on a property.
Abbotsford, Langley, South Surrey are contenders. I would forget Mission, most do, Squamish is a nice small town, but not much there unless you like skiing and fishing.

Property prices reflect opportunities at the time, but this can change and Squamish might be worth the gamble as the area is developing. Canmore was the back of nowhere and cheap when I originally moved to AB, should have bought then.

Edmonton is not somewhere that appealed to me to live, but it all depends on what one is looking for. Quality of life is subjective, what it means to one can be different to another.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

bingbong180 is an unknown quantity at this point

What's wrong with mission ? It looks a pretty town and is only an hour from vancouver? I read a lot of people from van are moving to ab and ont. I'd like to live in north van really, have to wait for a lottery win I think.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you think Kelowna is isolated I'm not sure why you would even consider Squamish.

Based on you Kelowna comment, for Alberta you likely should look at St. Albert, Spruce Grove, maybe Leduc for around Edmonton. However most think Edmonton itself is pretty isolated.

Around Calgary there's Airdrie, Cochrane, and Okotoks. High River is not too far out from Calgary but given the recent floods in High River it's best to avoid there for at least a little while. I wouldn't discount Calgary either.

Personally I would choose the locations around Calgary before choosing those around Edmonton. I lived in Edmonton for nine years and there's really not a lot wrong with the place I just prefer Calgary as does my wife who was born and raised in Edmonton.

Aviator has already answered for the lower mainland of B.C.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with mission ? It looks a pretty town and is only an hour from vancouver? I read a lot of people from van are moving to ab and ont. I'd like to live in north van really, have to wait for a lottery win I think.
There isn't anything wrong with Mission, its semi-rural so you can live within the city or out in the mountain area and have more space, its smaller then the other citys in the Fraser Valley but there is nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Driving in rush hour though, you wont get to Vancouver in an hour from Mission. There is no direct freeway access from Mission so its not as direct as it seems.

The train is an alternative to the city from Mission, takes about an hour and some change, but only runs M-F and only works for the 8-4 and 9-5 type jobs.

I for one would pick Alberta, I lived in Edmonton for a bit and really liked it, felt more like a city then anywhere in BC does, but I dislike BC with a passion and not the best person to ask since its a biased opinion.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:24 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with mission ? It looks a pretty town and is only an hour from vancouver? ...
An hour in travelling time. A century in most other respects.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
An hour in travelling time. A century in most other respects.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

BC - Hippies
AB - Rednecks

take your pick
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Weed smoking BC - Hippies
Beer swilling AB - Rednecks

take your pick

Seriously, you need to get your facts right before posting. Shakes head.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 11:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with mission?
Come an take a look for yourself. if you plant to move there, rent, you can then move out easily and cheaply.

If Kelowna seems isolated, Edmonton and calgary could be considered isolated, just bigger than Kelowna.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 9th 2013 at 12:00 am.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Come an take a look for yourself. if you plant to move there, rent, you can then move out easily and cheaply.

If Kelowna seems isolated, Edmonton and calgary could be considered isolated, just bigger than Kelowna.
If Edmonton and Calgary seem isolated, Vancouver could be considered isolated, just bigger than Edmonton or Calgary.............
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf
If Edmonton and Calgary seem isolated, Vancouver could be considered isolated, just bigger than Edmonton or Calgary.............
If you want to get technical, both the City of Edmonton, and City of Calgary are larger population wise.

City of Vancouver only has 600,000 people or so.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If you want to get technical, both the City of Edmonton, and City of Calgary are larger population wise.

City of Vancouver only has 600,000 people or so.
Somewhat different for Metro Vancouver.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

What lifestyle exactly are you seeking? Vancouver offers an urban lifestyle next to nature. Mission is a bit of a rural, conservative cultural backwater. The scenery might be pretty, but it's night and day from Vancouver. Abbotsford, etc. would be very surburban/drive everywhere/shop at big box stores lifestyle.
Old Aug 9th 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

For us Kelowna was the winner for a young family. It is a city but has a smaller town feel to it. Compared to Vancouver it's cheaper housing, car insurance and less crime than Vancouver, but it's only a 4hr drive away, although it has a decent airport too. Better weather than Vancouver, we've been at the beach all summer and we have skiing on our doorstep. Interior Health is a massive employer and the hospital is expanding plus your also commutable to Vernon hospital if needs be and there are drugstores a plenty here. Best of luck with your search.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.