British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   For al those thinking of going to Ontario! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/al-those-thinking-going-ontario-594485/)

Shawn_ldn Mar 3rd 2009 8:52 pm

Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7340495)
I guess you'd be another one thats having your arm twisted into reading this thread then ????
Bandwagon and get off springs to mind - or just plain old fashioned choice......

as in leave us to our homophobic and racist thread without being disturbed or confronted?

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 3rd 2009 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn (Post 7342294)
as in leave us to our homophobic and racist thread without being disturbed or confronted?

Go read Chumley's thread then come back here and spend your time digging at people who were just having a laugh at a joke (no doubt you will say at someone elses expense) but hey ho if you want to have a dig about me - I'm an Essex girl - so used to the jokes - then go ahead cos making someone smile is worth it - and the best thing about life is being able to laugh at yourself - whoever you are or where ever you are from. I'm sure at some point in all of our lives we will laugh or mock someone that somebody else thinks is wrong but having different opinions is what makes the world goes round ............

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 3rd 2009 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7338212)
LOL.....Humour has returned to the thread:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Help me out here guys - can anyone give me an example of laughing when it wasn't at the expense of someone else ?

StormTrooper73 Mar 3rd 2009 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342379)
Go read Chumley's thread then come back here and spend your time digging at people who were just having a laugh at a joke (no doubt you will say at someone elses expense) but hey ho if you want to have a dig about me - I'm an Essex girl - so used to the jokes - then go ahead cos making someone smile is worth it - and the best thing about life is being able to laugh at yourself - whoever you are or where ever you are from. I'm sure at some point in all of our lives we will laugh or mock someone that somebody else thinks is wrong but having different opinions is what makes the world goes round ............

I agree with you that its nice to have a laugh and a joke however racism and homophobia is no joke especially for victims of hate crime. I have read many funny posts on this forum and none of them are racist or homophobic. Everybody has different taste in humour. I dont think anyone was having a dig at you. You and some others became defensive when it was pointed out that the content some were laughing at was racist and homophobic. Mocking someone because of their race or sexuality is wrong. Something you see as a joke might be seen differently by others. :)

Novocastrian Mar 3rd 2009 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342425)
Help me out here guys - can anyone give me an example of laughing when it wasn't at the expense of someone else ?

How do you mean? Does someone else usually pay when you laugh?

Tangram Mar 3rd 2009 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342425)

Observational comedy would be an example I suppose.

Novocastrian Mar 3rd 2009 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 7342689)
Observational comedy would be an example I suppose.

As would the collected works of Tolstoy.

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 3rd 2009 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by StormTrooper73 (Post 7342667)
I agree with you that its nice to have a laugh and a joke however racism and homophobia is no joke especially for victims of hate crime. I have read many funny posts on this forum and none of them are racist or homophobic. Everybody has different taste in humour. I dont think anyone was having a dig at you. You and some others became defensive when it was pointed out that the content some were laughing at was racist and homophobic. Mocking someone because of their race or sexuality is wrong. Something you see as a joke might be seen differently by others. :)

Spot on Stormtrooper everybody views humour in a different light so i guess the easiest thing to do is agree to disagree.
Although i'm still waiting for the smokers out their to comment on the fact that they can't smoke in Ontario - or was that who the joke was actually aimed at ?

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 3rd 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7342680)
How do you mean? Does someone else usually pay when you laugh?

They do say sarcasam is the lowest form of wit.........

Novocastrian Mar 3rd 2009 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342737)
They do say sarcasam is the lowest form of wit.........

Yes, they do. But they're wrong.

Finger pointing at minorities (or majorities) and toilet humour are lower.

Novocastrian Mar 3rd 2009 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342732)
Although i'm still waiting for the smokers out their to comment on the fact that they can't smoke in Ontario - or was that who the joke was actually aimed at ?

Shouldn't think so. I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.

R I C H Mar 3rd 2009 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7342749)
I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.

I really don't know in what context to take that comment now. :(

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 3rd 2009 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 7342749)
Shouldn't think so. I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.

You mean you smoked a cigarette ?

Novocastrian Mar 3rd 2009 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7342763)
You mean you smoked a cigarette ?

Several. Wasn't it clear the first time?

<sigh>

The point being that in the context of smoking cigarettes, "fag" is a British slang. We're British.

In the context of the original cartoon, fag is used ambivalently both in that context and as a perjorative towards gay couples.

The intended audience is not obvious, but I suppose a certain group of ignorant Brits might find it titillating.

Tangram Mar 3rd 2009 10:59 pm

You can smoke anywhere in Canada, you just can't exhale.