British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   For al those thinking of going to Ontario! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/al-those-thinking-going-ontario-594485/)

macadian Feb 28th 2009 10:59 pm

Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7333232)
Can you remember that far back :D:D

Na...I got lost after 'Ba Ba black sheep'......:cool:

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:02 pm

That should be ba ba coloured sheep, surely:confused:

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:04 pm

Or ba ba sheepess ?:rofl:

macadian Feb 28th 2009 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7333249)
Or ba ba sheepess ?:rofl:

or somewhat nondescript sheep explained to the children by teacher on the black (sorry) chalk (of no particular colour) board?....:unsure:

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:11 pm

And what are we to call a gay sheep i wonder ? wellington ! :rofl:

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:12 pm

I just asked my son how you sing the ba ba sheep song, as he was taught it in the UK, and he sings ba ba PINK sheep!!! What ever next:rofl:

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 11:13 pm

now this is getting funny, after the last few post im laughing my socks of, political correctness=bah humbug:rofl::rofl:

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7333259)
I just asked my son how you sing the ba ba sheep song, as he was taught it in the UK, and he sings ba ba PINK sheep!!! What ever next:rofl:

It must be a Baaaaarbie sheep

macadian Feb 28th 2009 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7333258)
And what are we to call a gay sheep i wonder ? wellington ! :rofl:

Server of the chap in a white coat and white wellington's?:cool:....perchance?

Finding himself on that thar moor of an evening....no full moon preferably?

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:15 pm

There is a word for a gay sheep actually......sheeposexual!! its true check it out:lol: http://roscoe.typepad.com/roscoeblog...eep_in_be.html

macadian Feb 28th 2009 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7333265)
There is a word for a gay sheep actually......sheeposexual!! its true check it out:lol: http://roscoe.typepad.com/roscoeblog...eep_in_be.html

Mmmm...you seem extremely knowledgeable in this regard...you don't hail from North Wales perchance?????....or perhaps Aberdeen where a sheep tied to a lamp post is referred to as a 'Leisure Centre'....:lol:

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7333265)

my mind boggles at the thought of what you were actually looking for to find this out:p:p:p

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)
I was just wondering how you came up with your name actually Sheera....and its no good saying its after the football palyer

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7333280)
I was just wondering how you came up with your name actually Sheera....and its no good saying its after the football palyer

good question, its of an old kids program that used to be on the tv, masters of the universe, my nephew named his german shepard after the female character on it, the dog was then passed to me and it has been used as my username for a lot of things since

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:37 pm

Continuing the nursery rhyme theme where have Master Bates and Seman Stains disappeared to ? :rofl::rofl:

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:38 pm

How do you remove Semen Stains from the bedsheets ? Wake him up and throw him out :thumbsup:

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 11:40 pm

im of to bed noo to count gay sheep:p

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:40 pm

Ahhh the days of capt bugwash;)

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by sheera67 (Post 7333299)

Night night ewe

Jo.Ru_onway Feb 28th 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by sheera67 (Post 7333299)

Baa bye x

macadian Mar 1st 2009 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7333296)
Continuing the nursery rhyme theme where have Master Bates and Seman Stains disappeared to ? :rofl::rofl:

I think they consider themselves 'discharged.....:p

dbd33 Mar 1st 2009 4:28 am

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7333154)
Well it was just a joke!! I thought it was funny, I think people just need to lightne up. I have been called worse but hey ho!!:)

What's the worst you've been called?

macadian Mar 1st 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7333702)

A Liberal.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

johnh009 Mar 1st 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway (Post 7333232)
Can you remember that far back :D:D

I can remeber when "gay" meant to be "happy".

act1980 Mar 1st 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 7333702)

Hahaha!! Hmmm, I don't offend anyone I know how sensitive you are.

act1980 Mar 1st 2009 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by macadian (Post 7334471)
A Liberal.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice one!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

markan Mar 1st 2009 3:16 pm

Cptn Pugwash, I,m sure there was a character named Roger the cabin boy.

Mistress Miggins Mar 1st 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7333006)
I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?

MMMM, that's interesting...so what about N word jokes? I mean, if we are going to be racist then lets do it style and make sure we are vile as possible.....:sneaky:

act1980 Mar 1st 2009 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins (Post 7334810)
MMMM, that's interesting...so what about N word jokes? I mean, if we are going to be racist then lets do it style and make sure we are vile as possible.....:sneaky:

What I don't get is why they refer to each other with the N word. Why is it only ok when they say it and not when we say it? Not even when it is in jest.

It shouldn't ever be used anyway, I hate that word and I have never said it in my life.

Mistress Miggins Mar 1st 2009 3:27 pm

I take offence to Irish jokes, not impressed by them at all. But then again that's because I am Irish. Why should my children and I permit and accept being stupified en masse. When you consider just how wide spread and highly influential the Irish culture has been throughout the world, how many senior executives in big corporations were Irish in a survey a few years ago and how the Celtic tiger economic model encapsulated a booming and vibrant economy even though it's a country with a deep and troubled history, then no, I don't find Irish jokes at all funny, and find the people that laugh them just as futile. I just wish that they could be removed from a nationality, because on their own they stand quite well, but when used as a tool of racial slur, then no, they leave me quite uneasy.

The black people of America decided to reclaim the N word due it being a previous word that embraced racial hatred and oppression. So they felt by reclaiming the word and owning it as a term themselves that they would end up taking the power and meaning of the word from the white people who used it as a form of offence.

Act1980, I think you are lovely and you have made me a giggle more than once, but I think that you may benefit from widening your reading or maybe attending a little more education at some point, that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be, but you may find it useful.

Mrs M x

act1980 Mar 1st 2009 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins (Post 7334829)
I take offence to Irish jokes, not impressed by them at all. But then again that's because I am Irish. Why should my children and I permit and accept being stupified en masse. When you consider just how wide spread and highly influential the Irish culture has been throughout the world, how many senior executives in big corporations were Irish in a survey a few years ago and how the Celtic tiger economic model encapsulated a booming and vibrant economy even though it's a country with a deep and troubled history, then no, I don't find Irish jokes at all funny, and find the people that laugh them just as futile. I just wish that they could be removed from a nationality, because on their own they stand quite well, but when used as a tool of racial slur, then no, they leave me quite uneasy.

The black people of America decided to reclaim the N word due it being a previous word that embraced racial hatred and oppression. So they felt by reclaiming the word and owning it as a term themselves that they would end up taking the power and meaning of the word from the white people who used it as a form of offence.

Act1980, I think you are lovely and you have made me a giggle more than once, but I think that you may benefit from widening your reading or maybe attending a little more education at some point, that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be, but you may find it useful.

Mrs M x

I laugh at blonde jokes and I am naturally blonde. But each to their own. I am not racist in anyway, never have been. But I do like a good laugh!
I do think things get blown out of proportion though. I also have a gay friend and he would find the joke posted on here very funny. But like I say, each to their own, not everyone is going to find the same things offensive and vice versa.

:)

JonboyE Mar 1st 2009 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by PeterF (Post 7333181)
Fag in the US is a term for being gay, a queer, limp wristed.. why would a gay person be offended for being called ... erm... gay ??

<sighs>

How come this is so difficult?

<sighs again>

I don't think anyone has suggested a gay person would mind being called gay. Particularly because by choosing this word instead of some of the other adjectives you list you are demonstrating some respect for the dignity of the person you are describing.

However, fag is not a description. It is an insult. It is used denigrate, to cause hurt, to isolate and ostracize someone. It is a word that carries a great deal of baggage in North America, none of it good. These are no circumstances where any decent person would use this word. The only people who do are poisonous, odious, hate filled low life who are struggling near the bottom of the evolutionary chain.

I assume that you are fairly new to North America so didn't know this. Hopefully I have saved you from making a fool of yourself, or much worse.

As for the rest of your post, you can do better than that, can't you?

alexx11 Mar 1st 2009 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7332522)
In my experience the people who complain about political correctness are the ones who are looking for excuses to peddle their petty prejudices.

I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.

I am not prejudice never have been in fact when i was over last year i couldnt beleive the things the canadian were saying :eek:

didnt say it was hilarious just funny, wouldnt be allowed here

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7332885)
Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.

Agree

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 1st 2009 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by markan (Post 7334804)

Tom the cabin boy and Willy, a simple sailor from Wigan - not my words.....

Jo.Ru_onway Mar 1st 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by markan (Post 7334804)

Never realised there were so many "crew"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Pugwash#Willy

raine66 Mar 2nd 2009 12:58 am

Do you buy your halos in bulk?

macadian Mar 2nd 2009 1:31 am

Originally Posted by raine66 (Post 7336003)
Do you buy your halos in bulk?

Don't know but they certainly give me the 'boke'....:frown:

johnh009 Mar 2nd 2009 4:57 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7330806)
Not funny IMHO.

I have just returned from a town in the Dominican Republic (Samana) where it was pathetic to watch sick animals dying in the streets. I also lived in Africa for eight years where I watched people living in similar in circumstances, and more.

Liberals are nothing more than fence-sitters who think they have all of the answers but live in a world where they talk about trivialities, like yourself, to keep themselves in the limelight but really achieve nothing.

Don't you have a better cause to champion? The point is, the guy made a stupid joke but there are more serious things in the World to worry about.

Londonuck Mar 2nd 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins (Post 7334829)
I take offence to Irish jokes, not impressed by them at all. But then again that's because I am Irish.

I only take offence when told an Irish joke by someone who knows im Irish.

Simon Legree Mar 2nd 2009 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 7336726)
I only take offence when told an Irish joke by someone who knows im Irish.

But what if the joke is told by a fellow irish person ?