British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   For al those thinking of going to Ontario! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/al-those-thinking-going-ontario-594485/)

macadian Feb 28th 2009 4:26 pm

Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7332366)

As far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks this sort of "humour" is funny is a bit of a ****.

Without wishing to seem rude, your opinion, at least in my case...is wholly irrelevant.....:cool:

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 4:51 pm

It is only funny, well mildly amusing at best, if you think it is OK to call a homosexual man a fag. Would you call him that to his face?

And, before you all jump on the "PC gawn mad" bandwagon, there is a difference between being PC and treating people with a modicum of decency and respect.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks this sort of "humour" is funny is a bit of a ****.

:wub:

alexx11 Feb 28th 2009 4:52 pm

I knew it wouldnt be long before some came along !!!!!!!!

sheera67 Feb 28th 2009 4:54 pm

jonboy , get a sense o humour for gods sake :zzz:

alexx11 Feb 28th 2009 5:02 pm

Agree, why does everything have to be so serious and Politallily correct thats how the uk got in a mess

JonboyE Feb 28th 2009 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by alexx11 (Post 7332500)
Agree, why does everything have to be so serious and Politallily correct thats how the uk got in a mess

In my experience the people who complain about political correctness are the ones who are looking for excuses to peddle their petty prejudices.

I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.

AndyBCbound Feb 28th 2009 7:21 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe this one is a little less offense:D

macadian Feb 28th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound (Post 7332782)
Maybe this one is a little less offense:D

Sorry, I fail to see the connection.....:blink:...but then again I'm on my 5th beer:thumbup:

BristolUK Feb 28th 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7332522)
I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.

Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.

macadian Feb 28th 2009 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7332885)
Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.

So I am not alone in the real world? Extremely gratifying....:cool:

loser40 Feb 28th 2009 9:02 pm

"Our Prices are Sofa King low" - made me chuckle.

M.

act1980 Feb 28th 2009 9:16 pm

It is only funny, well mildly amusing at best, if you think it is OK to call a homosexual man a fag. Would you call him that to his face?

And, before you all jump on the "PC gawn mad" bandwagon, there is a difference between being PC and treating people with a modicum of decency and respect.

I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?

dbd33 Feb 28th 2009 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7333006)
I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?

The difference is that a blonde joke typically contains a punch line that depends on knowing that blondes are stupid, arguably that's demeaning to blondes but the point is the punch line. There's no joke in the link posted, it's just insult, hate speech if you will. There's no word for blondes that's specifically insulting in the same way as "fag", "nigger" or "paki" is insulting to the target and that's why blonde jokes can be used in Canada while homophobic or racist terms cannot.

Mind, I put this more succintly upthread.

JonboyE Feb 28th 2009 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by act1980 (Post 7333006)

First off, a joke needs to be funny.

Would I laugh at a joke about a woman? Of course, if it was funny. Would I laugh at joke about a woman where the woman was only referred to in derogatory terms like bitch or slag? No.

Redwingy2k Feb 28th 2009 10:22 pm

I guess if you read the bible, Im sure its not politically correct to marry the same sex.