Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Shawn_ldn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
I guess you'd be another one thats having your arm twisted into reading this thread then ????
Bandwagon and get off springs to mind - or just plain old fashioned choice......
as in leave us to our homophobic and racist thread without being disturbed or confronted?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shawn_ldn
as in leave us to our homophobic and racist thread without being disturbed or confronted?
Go read Chumley's thread then come back here and spend your time digging at people who were just having a laugh at a joke (no doubt you will say at someone elses expense) but hey ho if you want to have a dig about me - I'm an Essex girl - so used to the jokes - then go ahead cos making someone smile is worth it - and the best thing about life is being able to laugh at yourself - whoever you are or where ever you are from. I'm sure at some point in all of our lives we will laugh or mock someone that somebody else thinks is wrong but having different opinions is what makes the world goes round ............
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
LOL.....Humour has returned to the thread
Help me out here guys - can anyone give me an example of laughing when it wasn't at the expense of someone else ?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

StormTrooper73 has a brilliant futureStormTrooper73 has a brilliant futureStormTrooper73 has a brilliant futureStormTrooper73 has a brilliant futureStormTrooper73 has a brilliant futureStormTrooper73 has a brilliant future

Go read Chumley's thread then come back here and spend your time digging at people who were just having a laugh at a joke (no doubt you will say at someone elses expense) but hey ho if you want to have a dig about me - I'm an Essex girl - so used to the jokes - then go ahead cos making someone smile is worth it - and the best thing about life is being able to laugh at yourself - whoever you are or where ever you are from. I'm sure at some point in all of our lives we will laugh or mock someone that somebody else thinks is wrong but having different opinions is what makes the world goes round ............
I agree with you that its nice to have a laugh and a joke however racism and homophobia is no joke especially for victims of hate crime. I have read many funny posts on this forum and none of them are racist or homophobic. Everybody has different taste in humour. I dont think anyone was having a dig at you. You and some others became defensive when it was pointed out that the content some were laughing at was racist and homophobic. Mocking someone because of their race or sexuality is wrong. Something you see as a joke might be seen differently by others.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Help me out here guys - can anyone give me an example of laughing when it wasn't at the expense of someone else ?
How do you mean? Does someone else usually pay when you laugh?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:30 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Observational comedy would be an example I suppose.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Observational comedy would be an example I suppose.
As would the collected works of Tolstoy.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by StormTrooper73
I agree with you that its nice to have a laugh and a joke however racism and homophobia is no joke especially for victims of hate crime. I have read many funny posts on this forum and none of them are racist or homophobic. Everybody has different taste in humour. I dont think anyone was having a dig at you. You and some others became defensive when it was pointed out that the content some were laughing at was racist and homophobic. Mocking someone because of their race or sexuality is wrong. Something you see as a joke might be seen differently by others.
Spot on Stormtrooper everybody views humour in a different light so i guess the easiest thing to do is agree to disagree.
Although i'm still waiting for the smokers out their to comment on the fact that they can't smoke in Ontario - or was that who the joke was actually aimed at ?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How do you mean? Does someone else usually pay when you laugh?
They do say sarcasam is the lowest form of wit.........
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:48 pm
Born again atheist

They do say sarcasam is the lowest form of wit.........
Yes, they do. But they're wrong.

Finger pointing at minorities (or majorities) and toilet humour are lower.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:51 pm
Born again atheist

Although i'm still waiting for the smokers out their to comment on the fact that they can't smoke in Ontario - or was that who the joke was actually aimed at ?
Shouldn't think so. I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.
I really don't know in what context to take that comment now.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Shouldn't think so. I enjoyed several fags with another BE poster outside the Yard last evening.
You mean you smoked a cigarette ?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:56 pm
Born again atheist

You mean you smoked a cigarette ?
Several. Wasn't it clear the first time?

<sigh>

The point being that in the context of smoking cigarettes, "fag" is a British slang. We're British.

In the context of the original cartoon, fag is used ambivalently both in that context and as a perjorative towards gay couples.

The intended audience is not obvious, but I suppose a certain group of ignorant Brits might find it titillating.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 3rd 2009 at 11:01 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You can smoke anywhere in Canada, you just can't exhale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.