Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Continuing the nursery rhyme theme where have Master Bates and Seman Stains disappeared to ?
I think they consider themselves 'discharged.....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Well it was just a joke!! I thought it was funny, I think people just need to lightne up. I have been called worse but hey ho!!
What's the worst you've been called?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

A Liberal.....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
Can you remember that far back
I can remeber when "gay" meant to be "happy".
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hahaha!! Hmmm, I don't offend anyone I know how sensitive you are.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macadian
A Liberal.....
Nice one!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

Cptn Pugwash, I,m sure there was a character named Roger the cabin boy.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?
MMMM, that's interesting...so what about N word jokes? I mean, if we are going to be racist then lets do it style and make sure we are vile as possible.....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
MMMM, that's interesting...so what about N word jokes? I mean, if we are going to be racist then lets do it style and make sure we are vile as possible.....
What I don't get is why they refer to each other with the N word. Why is it only ok when they say it and not when we say it? Not even when it is in jest.

It shouldn't ever be used anyway, I hate that word and I have never said it in my life.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I take offence to Irish jokes, not impressed by them at all. But then again that's because I am Irish. Why should my children and I permit and accept being stupified en masse. When you consider just how wide spread and highly influential the Irish culture has been throughout the world, how many senior executives in big corporations were Irish in a survey a few years ago and how the Celtic tiger economic model encapsulated a booming and vibrant economy even though it's a country with a deep and troubled history, then no, I don't find Irish jokes at all funny, and find the people that laugh them just as futile. I just wish that they could be removed from a nationality, because on their own they stand quite well, but when used as a tool of racial slur, then no, they leave me quite uneasy.

The black people of America decided to reclaim the N word due it being a previous word that embraced racial hatred and oppression. So they felt by reclaiming the word and owning it as a term themselves that they would end up taking the power and meaning of the word from the white people who used it as a form of offence.

Act1980, I think you are lovely and you have made me a giggle more than once, but I think that you may benefit from widening your reading or maybe attending a little more education at some point, that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be, but you may find it useful.

Mrs M x
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mistress Miggins
I take offence to Irish jokes, not impressed by them at all. But then again that's because I am Irish. Why should my children and I permit and accept being stupified en masse. When you consider just how wide spread and highly influential the Irish culture has been throughout the world, how many senior executives in big corporations were Irish in a survey a few years ago and how the Celtic tiger economic model encapsulated a booming and vibrant economy even though it's a country with a deep and troubled history, then no, I don't find Irish jokes at all funny, and find the people that laugh them just as futile. I just wish that they could be removed from a nationality, because on their own they stand quite well, but when used as a tool of racial slur, then no, they leave me quite uneasy.

The black people of America decided to reclaim the N word due it being a previous word that embraced racial hatred and oppression. So they felt by reclaiming the word and owning it as a term themselves that they would end up taking the power and meaning of the word from the white people who used it as a form of offence.

Act1980, I think you are lovely and you have made me a giggle more than once, but I think that you may benefit from widening your reading or maybe attending a little more education at some point, that sounds offensive and I don't mean it to be, but you may find it useful.

Mrs M x
I laugh at blonde jokes and I am naturally blonde. But each to their own. I am not racist in anyway, never have been. But I do like a good laugh!
I do think things get blown out of proportion though. I also have a gay friend and he would find the joke posted on here very funny. But like I say, each to their own, not everyone is going to find the same things offensive and vice versa.

Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
Fag in the US is a term for being gay, a queer, limp wristed.. why would a gay person be offended for being called ... erm... gay ??
<sighs>

How come this is so difficult?

<sighs again>

I don't think anyone has suggested a gay person would mind being called gay. Particularly because by choosing this word instead of some of the other adjectives you list you are demonstrating some respect for the dignity of the person you are describing.

However, fag is not a description. It is an insult. It is used denigrate, to cause hurt, to isolate and ostracize someone. It is a word that carries a great deal of baggage in North America, none of it good. These are no circumstances where any decent person would use this word. The only people who do are poisonous, odious, hate filled low life who are struggling near the bottom of the evolutionary chain.

I assume that you are fairly new to North America so didn't know this. Hopefully I have saved you from making a fool of yourself, or much worse.

As for the rest of your post, you can do better than that, can't you?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

alexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In my experience the people who complain about political correctness are the ones who are looking for excuses to peddle their petty prejudices.

I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.

I am not prejudice never have been in fact when i was over last year i couldnt beleive the things the canadian were saying

didnt say it was hilarious just funny, wouldnt be allowed here

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.

Agree
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markan
Tom the cabin boy and Willy, a simple sailor from Wigan - not my words.....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by markan
Never realised there were so many "crew"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Pugwash#Willy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.