Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For al those thinking of going to Ontario!

Originally Posted by JonboyE

As far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks this sort of "humour" is funny is a bit of a ****.
Without wishing to seem rude, your opinion, at least in my case...is wholly irrelevant.....
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

It is only funny, well mildly amusing at best, if you think it is OK to call a homosexual man a fag. Would you call him that to his face?

And, before you all jump on the "PC gawn mad" bandwagon, there is a difference between being PC and treating people with a modicum of decency and respect.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who thinks this sort of "humour" is funny is a bit of a ****.

Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

alexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud of

I knew it wouldnt be long before some came along !!!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

sheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant futuresheera67 has a brilliant future

jonboy , get a sense o humour for gods sake
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

alexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud ofalexx11 has much to be proud of

Agree, why does everything have to be so serious and Politallily correct thats how the uk got in a mess
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexx11
Agree, why does everything have to be so serious and Politallily correct thats how the uk got in a mess
In my experience the people who complain about political correctness are the ones who are looking for excuses to peddle their petty prejudices.

I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Maybe this one is a little less offense
Attached Thumbnails For al those thinking of going to Ontario!-sofa.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Maybe this one is a little less offense
Sorry, I fail to see the connection........but then again I'm on my 5th beer
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:17 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have obviously been in Canada for so long that I am losing the famous "British Sense of Humour". So, perhaps you can help me out and explain why calling someone a fag is so hilarious.
Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nobody is being called a fag. I don't approve of calling someone a fag.
But I do recognise that it is a term used.

So accepting that it is a term used, albeit not an acceptable term, I can still see the humour in the sign that highlights marrying someone of the same sex is a relatively new concept and by no means common, whereas the smoking of a cigarette is extremely common but is now greatly frowned upon and restricetd.

It's quite funny.

So I am not alone in the real world? Extremely gratifying....
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:02 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

"Our Prices are Sofa King low" - made me chuckle.

M.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

It is only funny, well mildly amusing at best, if you think it is OK to call a homosexual man a fag. Would you call him that to his face?

And, before you all jump on the "PC gawn mad" bandwagon, there is a difference between being PC and treating people with a modicum of decency and respect.

I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
I guess that means you don't laugh at blonde jokes or Irish ones, or jokes about women?
The difference is that a blonde joke typically contains a punch line that depends on knowing that blondes are stupid, arguably that's demeaning to blondes but the point is the punch line. There's no joke in the link posted, it's just insult, hate speech if you will. There's no word for blondes that's specifically insulting in the same way as "fag", "nigger" or "paki" is insulting to the target and that's why blonde jokes can be used in Canada while homophobic or racist terms cannot.

Mind, I put this more succintly upthread.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
First off, a joke needs to be funny.

Would I laugh at a joke about a woman? Of course, if it was funny. Would I laugh at joke about a woman where the woman was only referred to in derogatory terms like bitch or slag? No.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Redwingy2k is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess if you read the bible, Im sure its not politically correct to marry the same sex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.