Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Airmiles"-type credit cards

"Airmiles"-type credit cards

Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Airmiles"-type credit cards

I have an Amex Platinum. I went to Australia on the points, got a $5,000 Home Depot gift card, have been to Europe on the points, I dunno, fifteen or twentry flights worth. It comes with good rental car insurance and, after I'd had the card 25 years, they sent me a pen!
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Was it a nice pen?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Was it a nice pen?
I like the pen. We keep it to make the Costco list. The list goes on one of a block of sticky notes from McTamney's famous pawn brokers. I think the note block perhaps reflects the life lived better than the Amex Platinum Pen.

on edit: I should say that over an extended period of dealing with Amex I have found their customer service to be consistently outstanding. You may say that at the price it ought to be, but it is. Imagine this, if you call them and type in your card number, you are then transferred to someone who speaks English and has your account open in the front of them; they don't immediately ask what number you just entered!

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 13th 2012 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We want to try and exploit this "free" travel lark a bit. Any opinions gratefully received about the pros and cons of the credit cards you use (and we are not willing to spend hundreds of $$ on annual fees.

This is supposed to be funny so you could always look at the possibility of getting hooked up with Westjet or Air Canada employees and using their perks for very cheap flights
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I like the pen. We keep it to make the Costco list. The list goes on one of a block of sticky notes from McTamney's famous pawn brokers. I think the note block perhaps reflects the life lived better than the Amex Platinum Pen.

on edit: I should say that over an extended period of dealing with Amex I have found their customer service to be consistently outstanding. You may say that at the price it ought to be, but it is. Imagine this, if you call them and type in your card number, you are then transferred to someone who speaks English and has your account open in the front of them; they don't immediately ask what number you just entered!
One buys pens and sticky notes? I get all mine from conference goody bags.

I'd agree with your observation on Amex. Extremely quick to resolve issues and red-hot on fraud. They noticed 'my' purchases of a mattress in New York and gasoline in Michigan long before I did.

Norton/Symantec also very good. When my automatic renewal came though recently, I noticed that it had been charged to my, by now, defunct Amex card. It took mere moments to talk someone in Bangalore and find out that the problem had already been resolved. The call centre guy was unusually good. Friendly, competent, knew what he was doing and I could understand him. I was nice on the feedback survey.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
One buys pens and sticky notes? I get all mine from conference goody bags.
Pen explained. Notes free from pawnbrokers. Doesn't your pawnbroker offer little rewards like that?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:49 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Pen explained. Notes free from pawnbrokers. Doesn't your pawnbroker offer little rewards like that?
I don't think I've ever been into a pawnbroker. I'm not even sure they exist in QC. I've seen some in Ottawa but nothing this side of the river. Then again, I haven't really been looking.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I don't think I've ever been into a pawnbroker. I'm not even sure they exist in QC. I've seen some in Ottawa but nothing this side of the river. Then again, I haven't really been looking.
To satisfy or not your concerns about Quebec pawnbrokers they do exist though Im not sure if the prices they offer are bilingual ?
Old Jan 13th 2012, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies folks - I'll have a wade through and see what might work best.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:15 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I use a CIBC Visa (Aeroplan). I charge everything on it and in the past 3 years have had 3 trips to the UK and a single flight back from Newfoundland for my son.

60000 miles for a Halifax to Aberdeen return. You have to pay the taxes and unfortunately flights to the UK are high in taxes (around 500 quid).

One-way flight from St John, NL to Halifax was 15,000 one-way (or 25,000 return) and only $27 taxes - a bargain!
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

We have HSBC Advance. $1 = 1 mile but this can be used for any kind of travel. For every $10,000 spent you get $100 travel dollars which includes taxes/fees etc.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 3:37 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

SPG (Starwood) AMEX card is good. If you dont want to use for hotel nights (which only really works in conjunction with SPG membership) then you can transfer to other programs at a decent rate. Probably the best way to collect Aeroplan points actually.

Aeroplan is still ok, but only really for business or first redemptions. Although it was possible to avoid surcharges etc through booking LH or TG etc those days are disappearing fast.

I would still look to focus on one program for travel, CC etc.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
We have HSBC Advance. $1 = 1 mile but this can be used for any kind of travel. For every $10,000 spent you get $100 travel dollars which includes taxes/fees etc.
These are the best ones if to be used for travel. We get 1 for 1 but the $100 mark comes in at 7500 points.

Rather this than be stuck with one carrier and then have to fork out the additional fees.

I do still have a BA Amex mainly for upgrades using miles.

I didn't get a pen though
Old Jan 14th 2012, 11:23 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I collect Aeroplan points. Over the last 12 months, I've purchased all my gas through Esso, flown from Halifax to Edmonton, Halifax to Toronto four times, and flown Halifax to the UK twice... and collected points for all along the way.

With my current points accumulation, I still cannot get a free toaster.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by el_richo
I didn't get a pen though
Through the Holiday Inn frequent stayer program I got a bike and a tent, so I didn't have to stay at the Holiday Inn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.