Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which airlines take pets?

Which airlines take pets?

Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airlines take pets?

Originally Posted by wizaird
we have 3 rabbits and a cat ,

Anyone taken rabbits to Canada before ?

thanks Dave
I haven't, but there are details on the rabbits here - http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/lag_e.shtml - not good news, they need quarantining.

Edit: would any of the airlines accept rabbits anyway? Not sure.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jan 13th 2007 at 5:49 pm. Reason: Afterthought
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Hi there
Don't know the cost for getting your cat over but we are going to living in Maple as well. My wife has just sorted our house out and gets the keys on the 26th and we fly out on the 31st.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Griff

Small world eh! Whereabouts in Maple Ridge are you moving too? We're going to East Maple Ridge in the Cottonwood area.

Have you got a job lined up? My hubby's a carpenter and works downtown, but will travel on the Westcoast Express a couple of days a week.

We're really looking forward to moving but can't decide what to do about my kitty, my head says leave him where he is and my heart says bring him over....
Attached Thumbnails Which airlines take pets?-rio.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mels123
Hi Griff

We're really looking forward to moving but can't decide what to do about my kitty, my head says leave him where he is and my heart says bring him over....

Is he old? Why would you leave him behind?! It is pretty stressful planning it, and a worry during the flight, but from our experience definately worth it. Our cat (and dog) were both absolutely fine after the flight to Vancouver - they both really settled in quickly (apart from a bit of jetlag - pets don't know about time differences so both expected to be fed on their UK time clock for a while!). We've been here 6 months now, and just moved into our own house here, and our cat, who is 9 next month, has never been more purry or affectionate! He seems to love it here! Good luck with you decision making.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizaird
we have 3 rabbits and a cat ,

Anyone taken rabbits to Canada before ?

thanks Dave
Canada has PLENTY of rabbits already.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:32 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Lucky you, I don't think my Dad's vet had done one of those export certificates before (happened to be a Defra vet though) and it cost over 70 quid for about 30secs work iirc

Harvey looks gorgeous, hope he has a good flight and doesn't cost you too much
Cheers Biiiiink

I suspect it may cost quite a bit though

Only reason we're not taking him now is that we're staying with Kell's cousin until we move into our house, and he has a sly little feline(aren't they all) , and a dog (Bitch) , so he'd want to kill one and hump the other

Gonna be hard leaving him though as he's totally unsettled at the minute. No furniture in the house, cases everywhere. He's fearing the worse I feel. Poor bugger!!

D
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:10 am
Just Joined

qjamesfloyd is on a distinguished road

We are moving to Ottawa this year, and have 2 cats, we are leaving them with my mum untill we get settled and sent for them, but do cats travel awake? or can they be sedated? because one of our cats is so scared of traveling, he struggles going 2 miles to our vet, and that is if we can actually catch him to pim him in the cat basket. I'm very worried he might not make it, has anyone had any difficult cats? and is there insurance against cats dying in travel?.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Fordprefect is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew Heathrow-Halifax with Air Canada in November, they charged $225 per dog as excess baggage on our flight, we needed rabies certs and fitness to fly from vet, another thing, if you don't have a water bowl they charge you $20 to supply one, you also need a funnel fixed to the front of the cage so they can fill the water bowl during flight, without having to open the cage door.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by qjamesfloyd
We are moving to Ottawa this year, and have 2 cats, we are leaving them with my mum untill we get settled and sent for them, but do cats travel awake? or can they be sedated? because one of our cats is so scared of traveling, he struggles going 2 miles to our vet, and that is if we can actually catch him to pim him in the cat basket. I'm very worried he might not make it, has anyone had any difficult cats? and is there insurance against cats dying in travel?.
Don't think you can get insurance against them dying in transit, but that isn't a common occurence.

All animals travel awake, and most (if not all) airlines will not accept them for travel if they have been sedated. The effects of sedation can be unpredictable, especially at altitude, so this would increase the risk of harm to your cat whilst flying.

You can buy pheremone spray to put in its crate though, which has a naturally calming effect. We've used this a few times (when we moved house, when we were packing up our stuff for shipping, and when we flew the cat out) and it really seems to help. You can buy it from your vet either as a spray (for the crate) or as a diffuser (to plug in like an air freshener) - it's called 'feliway'.

They also do a dog one, called DAP, which helps to calm dogs.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Escapea
They also do a dog one, called DAP, which helps to calm dogs.
My parents use one for their dog leading up to bonfire night, works a treat they say.

They also have a CD which plays noises like fire works, sirens, planes flying over etc. This has also helped their dog - Mum starts it very low & over a few days increases the volume.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:30 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

We have booked Harv in with Symaster based at M/cr airport.Quoted us £450 to Toronto whuch I didn't think was that bad.

There seems to be a lot of confusuon over the rabies jab
The guy at DEFRA I spoke to last week said that all Harv needed was an Export Health Certificate. 6 months ago a rabies jab was required. Think we might get him done over here as I'm sure he'd need one once over and I suspect it will be a lot more expensive in Canada.

D
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:03 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
We have booked Harv in with Symaster based at M/cr airport.Quoted us £450 to Toronto whuch I didn't think was that bad.

There seems to be a lot of confusuon over the rabies jab
The guy at DEFRA I spoke to last week said that all Harv needed was an Export Health Certificate. 6 months ago a rabies jab was required. Think we might get him done over here as I'm sure he'd need one once over and I suspect it will be a lot more expensive in Canada.

D
As far as the rabies shot goes- If you are going to take him over the Border you MAY get asked if you have a rabies cert. (we've crossed the border with ours six times and been asked ONCE).
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Many municipalities will require the dog to have a rabies jab anyway, once you are living in Canada, so I think that getting it done beforehand (especially given the confusion over whether it is required) would be a good thing - why take a chance of having extra hassle at immigration!

When we flew we could not get a consistent response about whether we needed a vet cert or Defra cert (this was 6 months ago so things may have changed!), so just in case we got 'fitness to fly' certs from the vet.

(Mind you, I tend to be a bit anal - I also wrote and signed a declaration stating that Bruce was a pet, and not being imported for commercial showing or breeding purposes, as I have heard of people running into problems there too!).

Also, I wanted to be prepared in case we had/wanted to go back to England, so wanted both pets to have their EU passports, which we got before we left. If you don't have the rabies jab done, then you would have problems if you needed to return (with the pets!) to England.

Good luck with the move!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Escapea

Also, I wanted to be prepared in case we had/wanted to go back to England, so wanted both pets to have their EU passports, which we got before we left. If you don't have the rabies jab done, then you would have problems if you needed to return (with the pets!) to England.

Good luck with the move!
Thats exactly why I the got wife done as well.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 5:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to put your dog into a kennel or doggie day care or any sort of class, you'll need a certificate showing a current rabies shot as well as bordatella and various other vaccinations. I'd think that, in the weeks right after moving to a strange country, there might well be a need to have someone look after the dog and so the rabies shot would be a prudent investment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.