air travel

Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:13 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default air travel

Living rather close to Gatwick Airport it is very noticeable that there is no air traffic at all and the news is suggesting that this could go on and on....

It suddenly occured to me, whilst thanking my lucky stars that we are not booked onto BA in June (no idea if they go to Halifax but not on them and that enough for me) as dont think this new issue for Airlines is going to help them at all, that I realised that BA aside, this could spell big trouble for all airlines. And then I thought, I hope that Air Transat whethers this storm as selfishly I really want our recce trip in June to be ok....

Just wanted to share....
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: air travel

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Living rather close to Gatwick Airport it is very noticeable that there is no air traffic at all and the news is suggesting that this could go on and on....

It suddenly occured to me, whilst thanking my lucky stars that we are not booked onto BA in June (no idea if they go to Halifax but not on them and that enough for me) as dont think this new issue for Airlines is going to help them at all, that I realised that BA aside, this could spell big trouble for all airlines. And then I thought, I hope that Air Transat whethers this storm as selfishly I really want our recce trip in June to be ok....

Just wanted to share....
Interesting article on BBC News online today ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8627545.stm ), focusing on European airlines and saying that many will run into financial difficulties as a result of this, but BA should be able to absorb losses.

Suppose upside is Air Transat will at least have planes flying elsewhere and have some income coming in, but being one of those caught up in the Zoom fiasco I am very wary and admit I am a little concerned about flying out later this year. I am not BA's biggest fan, but might be the safest option this year?

I sat in the garden last night gazing up at the stars and marvelling at the fact that nothing was moving at all, amazing.

Last edited by singingringingtree; Apr 18th 2010 at 8:31 am.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:34 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree

I sat in the garden last night gazing up at the stars and marvelling at the fact that nothing was moving at all, amazing.
I know, isnt it the wierdest thing, the digital sign on the M23 says "Gatwick airport closed" - feels surreal
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Well we're going, fingers crossed, in 2 weeks time!! So hopefully things will be moving by then!
My OH works at Gatwick and and finds it very strange as there is nothing going on apart from the odd (very odd) passenger who appears hoping to catch a flight (what planet are they on??)
Apparently some of the european airports have actually closed for the duration and any stragglers have been asked to leave!
I think those I'm sorry for mainly are the people stuck in a foreign country without any money!
Fingers crossed this will blow over soon!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think those I'm sorry for mainly are the people stuck in a foreign country without any money!
Fingers crossed this will blow over soon!
I know, and all those kids who won't be back for school. Half my daughter's friends are stuck in Europe and need to get back for the work in run-up to GCSEs. One boy has been told a week on Tuesday at the earliest ...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew is on a school trip somewhere near Barcelona. They were due back this weekend!! Haven't spoken to my sister yet so no idea when he's going to be back! Also a friend has several holiday appartments in Lanzarote and they are loosing a lot of money at the moment!!! It affects so many people, not just the airlines, the list is endless!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Howefamily

Just wanted to share....
I have no problem with that, my wife works for Virgin as cabin crew and is currently stuck in San Francisco, she should have been home Saturday, she's already said apparently Virgin may have to make cuts again due to the current financial cost to the airlines so its not going to be easy for the airlines to cope which is why some of the other airlines are now risking test flights to show it is safe to fly.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mags1972
I have no problem with that, my wife works for Virgin as cabin crew and is currently stuck in San Francisco, she should have been home Saturday, she's already said apparently Virgin may have to make cuts again due to the current financial cost to the airlines so its not going to be easy for the airlines to cope which is why some of the other airlines are now risking test flights to show it is safe to fly.
Crap. I'm no economist, but I'm thinking effect on airlines and all associated businesses = effect on economy = effect on currency exchange rates. Am I way off here?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Crap. I'm no economist, but I'm thinking effect on airlines and all associated businesses = effect on economy = effect on currency exchange rates. Am I way off here?
No idea, they cant really get any worse can they??? If they do I'll be transferring my money in Canada back to the UK to make a profit

Exchange rate should improve after the election is sorted providing there isn't a hung parliament from what I hear so vote for the party in the lead, thats the Lib Democrats at the mo, hey the other 2 have done nothing but mess things up over the last 20 years so couldn't hurt eh
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mags1972
Exchange rate should improve after the election is sorted providing there isn't a hung parliament.
That's what we are banking on!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

That's what we are banking on!
Us too, we fly to Calgary in July but just for a holiday to land, plans to move permanently put on hold until May next year in the hope that exchange rate and house prices will improve
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

We're supposed to be flying Glasgow-Heathrow-Halifax on Thursday. I am 90% certain that's not going to happen now. I'm not sure what to do... I doubt we'll be able to get on a flight for the next week, or week after, I don't know how we're supposed to re-book when they can't say when it'll be OK. We were going to hand in our application, everything is put together with an April date (bank statements, finances etc.) and I really don't want to have to redo it.

There is so much hectic stuff going on in my life right now... one thing I was banking on was flying to NS, immersing myself in Canada for a bit and getting the application in. I thought that was the least of my worries! Can't believe it...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Breaking Sky News - all BA flights cancelled on Monday.... weird times!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:27 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

I just posted on another thread that we are Brits who are supposed to be flying back to Toronto having spent all winter here. We go on April 28th but way things are going doesn't look like it unless weather changes by the weekend so we are looking at getting to Spain and flying out of Barcelona or Madrid. We live in Canada so really want to get back.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
I just posted on another thread that we are Brits who are supposed to be flying back to Toronto having spent all winter here. We go on April 28th but way things are going doesn't look like it unless weather changes by the weekend so we are looking at getting to Spain and flying out of Barcelona or Madrid. We live in Canada so really want to get back.
What a shame. I hope you can get back OK. Things might be back to normal by then? Must admit, having been saying 'what's all the fuss about, look at that blue sky' for last few days, I have just been for a walk to the beach and could really feel it in the air today. We've all now got irritated throats and our cars are covered in think 'dust'. Coincidence perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.