Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat Up and up and up on one way flights

Air Transat Up and up and up on one way flights

Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about
Default Air Transat Up and up and up on one way flights

I remember when you use to be able to get flight to Canada for less than 200gbp. On a one way. not anymore.

around 5 - 6 weeks In advance is the cheapest point Air Transat will be (after that it goes up)
240 is the lowest I have seen, more likely closer to 300. and Dont even think about booking in advance August is 500gbp

In the end I just got deal with Norwegian air flying into New York 180gbp
in August, no way could I have booked a flight with Air transat that far in advane.
Just means 10 hour bus ride ($12) and US customs as I hate flying into the US.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 8:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat Up and up and up on one way flights

Yeah I flew one-way on Transat in January and paid £425. My husband flew one-way in September and paid £500.

Sad times.

(Yes we were both flying in high season.)
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Yeah I flew one-way on Transat in January and paid £425. My husband flew one-way in September and paid £500.

Sad times.

When I first came to Canada (in 2000) I was getting return flights for under $300 on air transat - I even got a 1 way flight for under $100.

I think when Canada3000 went out of business and Thos. Cooke amalgamated with AT, Air Transat didn't have any competition and could charge what they liked.

@ the OP - did you look at Icelandair?
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

loss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura aboutloss has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I did it was still cheaper to fly to New York,
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Good, it keeps out the chavs.
Old Mar 25th 2014, 9:46 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loss

around 5 - 6 weeks In advance is the cheapest point Air Transat will be (after that it goes up)
240 is the lowest I have seen, more likely closer to 300. and Dont even think about booking in advance August is 500gbp
The flight I want on 1st sep was £375 last time I looked (cheapest flight that week) yet someone else got one for £260 for later in that month.

Maybe it might be worth me booking in June/July if that's how it works out cheaper - then again it may go up.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

Sad times.

Yes Air Transat are not a budget airline anymore, Air Canada is only a little more expensive and will no doubt offer a better service, and you have a choice of what time you want to fly other than the Hobson's choice red eye flights Air Transat offer.

I think if you were looking at a return flight Icelandic Air is cheaper
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:11 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Yeah, it's not even just Air Transat, KLM are doing the exact same thing. I actually phoned to complain last time because a return flight was $1300 yet a one-way flight was $1700. I said that if they could afford a return flight at $1300 then they could afford a one way at $650. I was told it was to encourage people 'to use the same airline.' That sucks for people who only want a one-way flight (as was my situation). I've also noticed that a lot of the companies seem to charge roughly the same to the point where I think it'll come out that there was illegal price fixing...
Old Mar 26th 2014, 2:25 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at my last one way flight here in June 2012. £192.

It was booked a few weeks in advance.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 7:54 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Book a return flight then and cancel your return leg when you get there.

Some people say you will be blacklisted? Maybe you will but I wasn't, told them I had to work and would miss the flight. None of their business anyway imo!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 8:01 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Book a return flight then and cancel your return leg when you get there.

Some people say you will be blacklisted? Maybe you will but I wasn't, told them I had to work and would miss the flight. None of their business anyway imo!
Skipping the return is usually not an issue. They *do* get grumpy if you book a flight with a connection and then bin the second part of the leg - THAT can get you in trouble. If you miss the outgoing part of your trip then they assume you don't need the return ticket, so they cancel it. But usually just missing the return ticket doesn't get them worked up.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:24 am
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

I've just booked to go back home at Christmas and Air Transat was the dearest by far and not even the dates I wanted. I think even BA is cheaper at the moment which is surprising.

Kinda sucks as I like them, never had any problems what so ever and have always been so helpful with my enquiries.

Flying with Air Canada for the first time (booked with Luftansa as it's a flight share and was cheaper on their website).

When my parents last came over in Sept 2012 the chap next to my Mum claimed he paid 170 odd pounds for the seat that my Dad didn't use (he flew out a week later instead), not seen any cheap ones like that in a while.

Last edited by jennellapea; Mar 27th 2014 at 6:28 am.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:36 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Booked a round trip today - Vancouver to Heathrow next month, then return 6 weeks later from Milan (via Heathrow). British Airways $734
Old Mar 27th 2014, 6:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Booked a round trip today - Vancouver to Heathrow next month, then return 6 weeks later from Milan (via Heathrow). British Airways $734
Cooo! that's good value.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

miffy85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Booked Gatwick to Montreal one way in mid May for 220 pounds per person. Very pleased with that price!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.