Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat resuming most flights late July

Air Transat resuming most flights late July

Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Transat resuming most flights late July

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin View Post
Air canada used to do decent food and free booze,.
Before my time, I guess. All I got was elderly ladies snapping at me and nothing to eat "because it's scheduled to be under four hours", though it never actually was. They're never early, they're always late, first thing you learn is you always gotta wait, as someone could have half sung about them.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Before my time, I guess. All I got was elderly ladies snapping at me and nothing to eat "because it's scheduled to be under four hours", though it never actually was. They're never early, they're always late, first thing you learn is you always gotta wait, as someone could have half sung about them.
Ah the its under X hours trick, sorry this flight is only scheduled for 3h and 59 minutes but we all know it will be 4hr 20 mins.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 10:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Ah the its under X hours trick, sorry this flight is only scheduled for 3h and 59 minutes but we all know it will be 4hr 20 mins.
Indeed. I guess I flew at least once a week for twenty years on all different air lines. AC were sometimes unavoidable and I just knew that there would either be "weather at destination" or "crew unavoidably delayed". People who had used them before would call the destination and ask about the weather which was as pointless as explaining that the passengers weren't stuck in traffic so the crew shouldn't be either. WebEx truly changed my life for the better.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 11:03 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Air canada used to do decent food and free booze, now in the name of corvid it's just a cold butty and water. Not pouring tea or coffee I get but why can't they handout tins of soda or beer alongside the water and why can't they serve a heated meall? Can't see what the difference is.
I remember flying with Qatar Airways and it was like that, you even got metal cutlery!!

Im not sure about Air Canada but I know AT are really in the doggie doo right now.

I wonder if they even get thIs bailout if they will even use the money to refund passengers or come up with another excuse as to why they can’t
Old Jun 13th 2020, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I've only flown with AC and WestJet, and the latter only on short haul flights in BC

I swore I would never take Transat after all the problems my relations had taking them from England to here, form poor food, wrong seats to broken seats on both legs of the journey.

Porter isn't over here, and we never do charter holidays.

AC used to be very good, back in the day, and the food was pretty good. There hasn't been food served from the Toronto or Ottawa to Vancouver routes for many years, and the schedules have long shown them to be around 5 hours ..... but still no food served!

None of the companies are much good on short haul flights, especially to the north!

The best company used to be CP (sometimes seen as CPAir) .......... like all airlines back in the day, they used to serve meals on china plates, with metal cutlery and glassware. That was always my preferred company. I have 3 or 4 little dishes that were sold off in an auction after CP went out of business.

I'm so very glad that we have the time to take the train across the country and avoid, especially, Toronto Airport, my most detested place! The cost isn't all that different from having to take business class or super economy (or whatever they call it!).

Last edited by scilly; Jun 13th 2020 at 3:25 am.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
I swore I would never take Transat after all the problems my relations had taking them from England to here, form poor food, wrong seats to broken seats on both legs of the journey.
I have no particular loyalty to them, especially after the 27-hour delay we experienced with them last year on our soft landing trip, when their communication was abysmal.

However, if Manchester is your nearest UK airport, as it is for us, you have very little choice of airline for direct flights to Canada.

We have the option of flying from London because my mum lives near Gatwick, but even then AT is significantly cheaper than AC, BA etc so we usually end up using them.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

It actually doesn't make any difference to you, any other Canadians or tourist wishing to come to Canada.Canadians can still come tourists can't.
The point was about the requirement to quarantine for 14 days, not about actually being able to enter Canada.

The quarantine requirement obviously applies to (almost) anyone entering, regardless of status, and for obvious reasons I’m hoping it’s lifted before we come but we are basing our preparations around it still being in place.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...ghts-july/amp/

looks like BA is also going to start flights inc. to Canada
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82 View Post
I have no particular loyalty to them, especially after the 27-hour delay we experienced with them last year on our soft landing trip, when their communication was abysmal.

However, if Manchester is your nearest UK airport, as it is for us, you have very little choice of airline for direct flights to Canada.

We have the option of flying from London because my mum lives near Gatwick, but even then AT is significantly cheaper than AC, BA etc so we usually end up using them.
As it happens, we're also from the north, .......... you have to be careful of what you say on line as you never where people are from!!

Manchester was our closest airport ........... that's possibly why my sis-i-l and nieces used Transat, and because it was CHEAP, skinflints (them not you!!). We've done M/c to New York, M/c to Toronto to Vancouver, etc etc

We also have friends who once lived near London now live in Devon. We stayed with them near London and went to Heathrow or Gatwick from there. After they moved to Devon, we stayed with them in Devon, drove or took the train to London and stayed near Heathrow.

On one trip we had to fly from Manchester to London to come home, may have been in late September 2001, when the whole trip had been disrupted and re-booked because of 9/11. It was chaos all the way round, especially with BA in M/c who seemed to have no records of any of their passengers, and extremely rude agents to boot.

I swore I would never take Transat, and there are other ways, even if it does cost more ......... although not necessarily that much more if you can get seat sales, fly out-of-season, plan ahead. I know that we have that freedom and you don't ......... but then I doubt we'll ever fly again, certainly not to the UK.

Flying is no longer the pleasure and fun it used to be. It's more like taking a full tube train just to get somewhere, and then you'll spend 2 or 3 days getting all the kinks out of your back!
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scilly View Post
Flying is no longer the pleasure and fun it used to be. It's more like taking a full tube train just to get somewhere, and then you'll spend 2 or 3 days getting all the kinks out of your back!
Very true. I’m hoping that once we get to Canada, apart from a trip back to the UK next year for a wedding at which I’m the best man, we won’t need to fly again for a while.

As it happens we’ve now booked to go from Gatwick so we can a) save money - £200 per ticket to be precise, and b) see my mum in Surrey before we go.

I used to love Manchester Airport because of going on beach holidays to Spain & Portugal as a kid, but as an adult there’s nothing like spending 27 hours in T1 to make you realise what a total dump the place is.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It actually doesn't make any difference to you, any other Canadians or tourist wishing to come to Canada.
I think that's unfair and a massive over-simplification really. As a newly landing or returning immigrant right now, there is a huge difference as most of the services that you would need within the first few days of settling are either unavailable or have been pushed online with massive backlogs. Wait times for PR cards are apparently insane atm and it's going to be trickier to get a SIN, bank account, mobile SIM and many of the other things a newcomer typically needs to do in their first few days than it is normally. That's not to mention the 2 weeks of self isolation which if you're someone with no local contacts and a limited budget isn't going to be a particularly fun time.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 12:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82 View Post
I used to love Manchester Airport because of going on beach holidays to Spain & Portugal as a kid, but as an adult there’s nothing like spending 27 hours in T1 to make you realise what a total dump the place is.
If you want some real fun then try Manchester T3. Fortunately the pubs in there are reasonably well priced and offer a decent pint because aside from a KFC with Soviet-style queuing, that terminal has sod all else to offer anyone.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
If you want some real fun then try Manchester T3. Fortunately the pubs in there are reasonably well priced and offer a decent pint because aside from a KFC with Soviet-style queuing, that terminal has sod all else to offer anyone.
T3 is hilarious. It’s just stuck on the end of T1 like a shed.

Pretty sure there’s just a curtain separating the two...
Old Jul 1st 2020, 6:04 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I think that's unfair and a massive over-simplification really. As a newly landing or returning immigrant right now, there is a huge difference as most of the services that you would need within the first few days of settling are either unavailable or have been pushed online with massive backlogs. Wait times for PR cards are apparently insane atm and it's going to be trickier to get a SIN, bank account, mobile SIM and many of the other things a newcomer typically needs to do in their first few days than it is normally. That's not to mention the 2 weeks of self isolation which if you're someone with no local contacts and a limited budget isn't going to be a particularly fun time.
You seem to be making this sound more complex that is necessary.

Wait times for a PR card have always been long and you don't actually need it for anything unless you are leaving the country! Your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (duly stamped and signed) is your legal proof of being a Permanent Resident. (don't lose it - you'll need it for your pension later in life).

You can apply for your SI Number online or by mail - you only need the number, they no longer issue a card. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...nts-guide.html You can even apply from overseas, in advance! https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...pply.html#otp2 - I appreciate it might take a little longer than it used to, but these are trying times for everyone.

You can apply for a bank account online in advance and finalise it once you have arrived by making an appointment at the nearest branch (in advance) - or you can open a digital bank account online - https://www.finder.com/ca/digital-banks-coronavirus

You can order a cell phone Sim card online and have it delivered by most of the providers.. and buy prepaid credit for the phone online as well.

I know it sounds harsh, but there's a simple solution - don't come until the quarantine requirements are lifted... and if you do come then expect to isolate for 14 days and have things take a little longer than they used - welcome to COVID19 life in Canada........

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 1st 2020 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:38 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post

You can apply for your SI Number online or by mail - you only need the number, they no longer issue a card. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...nts-guide.html You can even apply from overseas, in advance! https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...pply.html#otp2 - I appreciate it might take a little longer than it used to, but these are trying times for everyone.
Actually I need a PR card in hand before I can get a SIN as far as I know because I soft landed more than 12 months ago and they only accept the CoPR as proof of status for the first year. I know my situation is far from being unique but also isn't the most common scenario either.

Your advice regarding bank accounts is definitely useful though, thanks.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jul 1st 2020 at 7:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.