Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat...the good and the bad...

Air Transat...the good and the bad...

Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Transat...the good and the bad...

I am flying with them on Monday and just interested in others experiences with flying with them as this is my first time. I am going with a 1 year old on my own, so if anyone has done something similar I would be particularly interested.

Also how does it rate compared to Zoom? My Travel? Thomas Cook? For me out of those 3 airlines Thomas Cook is far, far better.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Air Transat...the good and the bad...

Originally Posted by babsi
I am flying with them on Monday and just interested in others experiences with flying with them as this is my first time. I am going with a 1 year old on my own, so if anyone has done something similar I would be particularly interested.

Also how does it rate compared to Zoom? My Travel? Thomas Cook? For me out of those 3 airlines Thomas Cook is far, far better.
Hi
Flew with them last summer once over the check in formalities where the check in queue was horrendous the flight was good and on time the staff were efficent and polite I would have no qualms about travelling with them again
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Nevercomingback is an unknown quantity at this point

Traveled with Transat twice and the 3rd time will be on tues. Absolutely no problems to report.Good prices, friendly staff, and well cheap when it comes to transporting cats and dogs..
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

There used to be a difference between the charter brigade, but they're all about the same now. Cheap meal and pay for pop.

I first flew on Transat back in '98 and they've changed a lot for the worse since those heady days.

Next time out, have a look around some of the websites. Three of my last four transatlantic trips have been on scheduled "big" airlines - Delta, BA and Air France.

Delta and AF required a transit... and if you're going through the US this can be a pain with all the security. AF was brilliant though.

The good thing is that these airlines give you better seat pitch, food and more importantly baggage allowance.

Not only was the price better on Delta last time out than all of the charter airlines you mention - but the flights are daily so I could work it into my schedule better. This is a bonus if you are a victim of the North American tight vacation allowance regime

Try expedia.ca, opodo.com and airlinenetwork.co.uk and see what comes up...

Last edited by Lionel_in_Ontario; Feb 8th 2007 at 3:43 pm. Reason: I f**ked something up
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:00 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience (flying gatwick to Calgary) Transat was superior to all of the others.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Good ... Transatlantic, due to competition
Bad ... carribean .... due to lack of competition
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Tiny seat pitch, worrying safety record.

If you're over 5'10" and claustrophobic with a fear of flying, avoid.

Seriously - it was amongst the worst 9 hours of my life (the plane was stuck on the ground for 2 hours before we finally took off).
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Came over with them in sept 06 and they were great. We didnt have to wait in any queues as we had a cat with us so went through seperate check in desk. We took extra food with us and brought drinks as we feared that food etc would not be great but all was fine. We booked seats at the back that are in 2's rather than 3's and this was much better for us. When we went back to UK in Jan for a week we travelled by Air canada as it was cheaper. Comparing the 2 i would go with Air Transat rather than Air Canada. Movies are not the best on AC! AT had 3 up to date films.