Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Air Transat.........Good or Bad?

Wikiposts

Air Transat.........Good or Bad?

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:09 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all
Default Re: Air Transat.........Good or Bad?

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
I am 6'2" and I have flown club/exec with BA,lufthansa,Iberia,Air France and cattle class with many other airlines.
True you get what you pay for, but I never get comfortable in any seat with any airline, you might get extra legroom but guarantee the person in the seat in front will recline it and it's just as uncomfortable.
We went air transat and will again, it's a fair price for a good service,and they were excellent with the dog.
I have had much worse with air france and BA (Bloody Awful not nicknamed that for no reason ) travelling exec/club .
We are recommending air transat to those visiting us next year.
good luck to all.
Cheers
Jerry (still enjoying sunny North Van )
Thanks for all your replies.

Jerry..........Weren't you one of us going through the mill this time last year in the Mississauga thread?

Drew
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to add something about Air Transat, When we flew in May we knew the leg room was terrible so we booked a bulk head seat, the ones right next to club class, sitting in the departures lounge i was all full of myself thinking all you suckers are going to be cramped in and im going to be swinging my legs with plenty of room!

We we got onto the plane and well LOL we had an extra 5 inches LOL I was not impressed as i cramped myself into the tiny seat.

So if your going to book extra leg room seats DONT book the bulk head seat at the front of the plane.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Barmyarmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyc
We flew transat a couple of years ago when on vacation,flew over for good this summer,and I took my son back to uni in UK last month.I have had no complaints with them at all,packed like sardines?. sure you do not get the legroom of zoom etc,but as you say it's only for seven hours isn't it.I would certainly use them again

John
Thomas cook or My Travel booked thru Canadian Affairs is by far the best airline around at the moment. The seats all have extra legroom as standard and have great offers. Currently £44.50 + tax one way. However canadian affair start using Air Transat on Nov. 1st for most of the winter flights.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kellydrew
We have recently received an offer on our house and are hoping to move to Barrie in January.
After a short search Air Transat are the cheapest option............Manchester to YYZ for £395. That's two adults and an 11 year old.
Air Canada want over £1700 and Zoom are coming in at £625. With AT you have 3kg extra baggage allowance in Economy as opposed to Zoom. AC can f..k off at those prices :scared:
OH is a bit sceptical of the price. You know? Sardines packed in etc, but for me if it means saving over £200 for an inch extra legroom, then thats fine by me. I mean it's only seven hours ffs and it's not like we're giants.

Anyway I'm sure lots have flown economy on Air Transat so we'd be happy to hear your opinions
Cheers

Drew n Kell

Hmmmm How many Sleemans Honey Brown can £200 buy?
We always fly Air Transat, at 5'11" I always struggle in economy class but not Air Transat. We have flown club class a few times which was great but the last time I went home we went economy and it was fine.

from Toronto to Newcastle it took less than 6 hours which was great and coming back we were early too.

Jo x
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A bad feature of charters is that they're not very reliable as far as timing; this matters where there's a connection involved. Last summer one of daughters took Transat to London and had a flight out to Switzerland, the Transat flight was fifteen hours late and the connection missed; she (I!) then had to buy a new ticket to Switzerland at the same-day price. AC are only slightly more likely to be on time but do ticket passengers to the final destination meaning no charge for catching a later connection.

I find AT jam passengers in like sardines. Since it's a short flight, I'm willing to be squashed to save $200 but I usually find that USAir are as cheap or cheaper and so I haven't flown AT for a couple of years.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've never flown with them, was very tempted when they offered a cheap flight and could take my dog straight from Edinburgh to Toronto for peantus, but I just couldn't get over their little incident and resulting fine for crap maintenance. I'm sure things have improved since then though.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've never flown with them, was very tempted when they offered a cheap flight and could take my dog straight from Edinburgh to Toronto for peantus, but I just couldn't get over their little incident and resulting fine for crap maintenance. I'm sure things have improved since then though.
Yeah - the maintenance "thing"...

See here for details

Hmmm... We flew with them a couple of years back and they had problems with the aircraft at Toronto on the way back (luggage hold doors wouldn't shut) which meant being cramped into those tiny seats going nowhere with no aircon (in June!!) for 2 hours.

I personally wouldn't fly with them again. I thought the service was crap and for a longish flight the planes were too cramped for anyone who's not "petite".

I thought Zoom were great and when we emigrated we came with Air Canada who were faultless.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

As a transatlantic quasi-scheduled airline, they are OK.... when you compare them with the UK charter operators to their carribean destinations, things start to look decidedly poor.

The A310 stabilizer incident aside, their planes are actually quite comfortable and their on-board service compares well to other US/Canadian airlines, even the scheduled ones.

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
The A310 stabilizer incident aside,
You mean there was another incident?!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

An A310 lost part of it's vertical tail (stabilizer) on a flight from Varadero to Quebec last year.... they did their best to play it down, but it's very serious as the plane simply cannot stay airborne if the whole stabilizer had fallen off.

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
You mean there was another incident?!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:01 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Drew...still planning the recce in early December?

When we have the kids along (ie 4 tickets in total) we use Air Transat so long as we can get a direct flight. Some of them stopover in Montreal or somewhere else in the UK if going in that direction. Avoid these flights like the plague. But as said, if its direct, the savings are worth it for 4 people.

If I'm flying alone, its most often on business, so someone else is paying. Then I fly BA to UK and either KLM or LH to Europe, via Amsterdam or Frankfurt.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:06 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i was a little dubious, " air who?", however very good, very nice staff, on time, good food and service, better in fact in my opinion than virgin who i flew out on, thats virgin airlines, i didn't get lucky.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Thanks for all your replies.

Jerry..........Weren't you one of us going through the mill this time last year in the Mississauga thread?

Drew
Hi
Yep, thats us.
An interesting & enjoyable time so far,settling into the rental house in north vancouver, kids are settling into school well and I am now waiting to take my IP/TQ exam so I can work as an electrician, In between, doing temp work, 6 weeks on installing conduit & cables, now 6 weeks on factory maintenance, my wife is probably having time off until christmas, starting job hunting next year.weather has been fantastic since landing in july, we had about three or four days of rain so far.
Slightly O/T, It is interesting watching the start of the housing market slow down here, we heard rumours about it just after we landed, and are now starting to see in the local papers 'new price, reduced' , and lowered prices, hopefully they will continue the trend until we can buy, maybe it was to much olympics hype..
Hope all goes well for all, moved / moving / or in the queue.
cheers
Jerry
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:22 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hi Drew...still planning the recce in early December?

When we have the kids along (ie 4 tickets in total) we use Air Transat so long as we can get a direct flight. Some of them stopover in Montreal or somewhere else in the UK if going in that direction. Avoid these flights like the plague. But as said, if its direct, the savings are worth it for 4 people.

If I'm flying alone, its most often on business, so someone else is paying. Then I fly BA to UK and either KLM or LH to Europe, via Amsterdam or Frankfurt.
Hey Bud

Yes we're flying over with Zoom on the 1st. Kell's Bro and family are up from Michigan until the 5th so after that we're free.

I have to say as not one of the worlds best flyers the incidents on AT have made me think a little. Have flown with Zoom a couple of times and have had great flights, although it's Globespan who are providing the service from M/cr to YYZ during the winter for Zoom. Anybody used them?
Can't contemplate using AC at over £1500 that's just plain extortionate :scared: Haven't tried BA as I'm sure they'll be a similar price.

Take it easy mate

PS I'll PM you soon and hopefully we can hook up when we're over.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:51 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Here's the website of the Air Transat captain who rescued the plane when it ran out of fuel:

http://www.robertpiche.com/en/

And here's what happened:

http://www.answers.com/topic/air-transat-flight-236

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.