British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Air freight - goods to follow (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/air-freight-goods-follow-908182/)

Shakyuk Jan 20th 2018 12:34 am

Air freight - goods to follow

I would like to air freight my computer so I have it a couple of days after landing.

I'm not sure how to do this without getting charged duty. I have completed a B4 goods to follow list and my computer is on it along with the items that I'm shipping. Is there something I need to alert Canadian Customs that the package is part of my goods to follow list?

Also, I understand I am required to have a list of goods accompanying, I assume this is a list of every single item that I've packed down to every t shirt etc?

Thank you in advance.

Siouxie Jan 20th 2018 3:46 am

Re: Air freight - goods to follow

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12422976)
I would like to air freight my computer so I have it a couple of days after landing.

I'm not sure how to do this without getting charged duty. I have completed a B4 goods to follow list and my computer is on it along with the items that I'm shipping. Is there something I need to alert Canadian Customs that the package is part of my goods to follow list?

Also, I understand I am required to have a list of goods accompanying, I assume this is a list of every single item that I've packed down to every t shirt etc?

Thank you in advance.

Good accompanying is a basic list 'suitcase containing used clothing, assorted' - the only things you need to be detailed about are electronics, jewellery etc.

When my son air freighted some items over (including a computer) he had to take his goods to follow list with him to the customs (freight) department and get it stamped before returning to collect said items.

:)

Yorkiechef Jan 20th 2018 6:57 am

My desk top would not work on 110v. It could have been broken in moving I suppose, tried a 110 two pin lead, didn't work. Bought a laptop, eventually.

Luminous Jan 20th 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef (Post 12423068)
My desk top would not work on 110v. It could have been broken in moving I suppose, tried a 110 two pin lead, didn't work. Bought a laptop, eventually.

Probably just your PSU wasn't compatible, all the internal components should handle 110v fine.

Siouxie Jan 20th 2018 4:33 pm

Does it have a switch on the back to change the voltage? Most desktops do..

Vulcanoid Jan 20th 2018 4:44 pm

Whenever you're picking up something with the goods to follow list you'll need to present the stamped list to customs.

My partner and I just brought our desktops disassembled, mostly in hand baggage. Security was fun at the "any computers? unpack them first" stage :D

Hurlabrick Jan 20th 2018 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 12422976)

Thank you in advance.

Have you spotted the wiki article on this subject and had a read yet?

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki

RGH80 Jan 20th 2018 11:13 pm

Can you check it?

I checked my iMac when I moved for the same reasons as you. Was in its retail box, a layer of bubble wrap, and then inside a suitcase.

Yorkiechef Jan 21st 2018 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12423304)
Does it have a switch on the back to change the voltage? Most desktops do..

Went in the dumpster, it was old and I was looking for a new one anyway.

Gorbzilla Jan 21st 2018 4:40 am

I did this only a couple of weeks ago, I had few enough belongings that sending everything by fedex* was cheaper than shipping by boat and waiting many weeks.

However, once the items arrived at the hub in Toronto they were held, as you have to deal with customs. Two options, 1) pay a broker to deal with it for a considerable fee, or 2) deal with it yourself.

I did it myself, was straightforward, just had to take the shioping paperwork and goods to follow list to freight customs, get it stamped, then back to the fedex hub with the stamped paperwork.

Customs had me highlight anything that wasnt arriving yet, no questions beyond that.

As for your computer, is it expensive? I pulled my pcs apart and carefully packed each component due to value.
As for the power supply,check with the manufacturer - you may just need to swap the cable, or get plug adapters which is what ive done for now.

*I used Parcel Monkey, much cheaper than going through fedex direct

Shakyuk Jan 21st 2018 10:15 pm

Thank you all for your replies!

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12423033)
Good accompanying is a basic list 'suitcase containing used clothing, assorted' - the only things you need to be detailed about are electronics, jewellery etc.

When my son air freighted some items over (including a computer) he had to take his goods to follow list with him to the customs (freight) department and get it stamped before returning to collect said items.

:)

Good to know about the goods accompanying, I thought I'd need a detailed list.

My desktop has a high end Corsair PSU, it auto detects the voltage input. I'll just need a plug converter.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12423319)
Have you spotted the wiki article on this subject and had a read yet?

Goods To Follow-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Ah thanks mate, I've been on the site for year but I always forget about the wiki!

Originally Posted by Gorbzilla (Post 12423616)
I did this only a couple of weeks ago, I had few enough belongings that sending everything by fedex* was cheaper than shipping by boat and waiting many weeks.

However, once the items arrived at the hub in Toronto they were held, as you have to deal with customs. Two options, 1) pay a broker to deal with it for a considerable fee, or 2) deal with it yourself.

I did it myself, was straightforward, just had to take the shioping paperwork and goods to follow list to freight customs, get it stamped, then back to the fedex hub with the stamped paperwork.

Customs had me highlight anything that wasnt arriving yet, no questions beyond that.

As for your computer, is it expensive? I pulled my pcs apart and carefully packed each component due to value.
As for the power supply,check with the manufacturer - you may just need to swap the cable, or get plug adapters which is what ive done for now.

*I used Parcel Monkey, much cheaper than going through fedex direct

My computer is very expensive, I'm taking off the GPU and wrapping it up but leaving it inside the case. I'm going to stuff the interior of the case with bubble wrap and luckily I still have the packaging that the PC case came in so I'm going to ship it all inside that box.

Thank you for the heads up on Parcel Monkey, I'll check them out :thumbup:

Yorkiechef Jan 22nd 2018 2:07 am

Converters....buy them in uk from eBay or wherever, they are ridiculously expensive by comparison. You will notice once you are here that the little bits of stuff you need that cost 99p off eBay will be $10 here. iPhone charge leads, light bulbs, ear buds for your music...the list is quite lengthy.

Shakyuk Jan 22nd 2018 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef (Post 12424207)
Converters....buy them in uk from eBay or wherever, they are ridiculously expensive by comparison. You will notice once you are here that the little bits of stuff you need that cost 99p off eBay will be $10 here. iPhone charge leads, light bulbs, ear buds for your music...the list is quite lengthy.

Thanks mate, good to know!