Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

agents/ employment agencies... anyone

agents/ employment agencies... anyone

Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:19 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default agents/ employment agencies... anyone

i know i know i can do the visa paperwork myself. i have done the research sure enough ( with all your help) but 6 months on and still no job offers, we are wavering about maybe using an agent to get dh a job and get the visa off the back of that.

can anyone recommend an agent, we have tried the recce and knocking on doors and emails and calls till we are blue in the face! dh is a crane driver and what we need is a job. help anyone?

at this point we are just so despondant. dh is very good at his job and highly qualified, but building is hit hard in a recession and there are supposedly no jobs about. he will even work oil fields sites. we have also widened our scope to include BC and alberta. anythin for a visa now. this is the year we really want to just get out there and start living the rest if our lives.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: agents/ employment agencies... anyone

Originally Posted by __TJ__
we are wavering about maybe using an agent to get dh a job and get the visa off the back of that.
Just to point out that in both Alberta and BC, it's illegal for anybody to charge you anything for helping you to find a job. So sign up with recruitment agencies but steer clear of dodgy 'immigration consultants' that promise you a job for a fee. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employ...27_Fees-Canada

I'm sure this has already been suggested to you and discounted for a very good reason, but if your OH is a crane operator, why can't you apply for PR as a Skilled Worker?

Good luck, fingers crossed you find something soon.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:16 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

need a job to get pr as skilled worker or we dont have enough points even with my 2/5 year degree adding to my schooling, his 13 years experience in the trade we are about 2 points short. did think about learning french but as it has to be degree level and so far he knows none at all, it seemed a long shot way in.

can anyone recommend an employment agency? im wary of them given everything i have read on here.

ETA thanks for the link, have printed that out for when i speak to the agencies and can quote then chapter and verse if they start being naughty LOL

Last edited by __TJ__; Jan 28th 2010 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
need a job to get pr as skilled worker or we dont have enough points even with my 2/5 year degree adding to my schooling, his 13 years experience in the trade we are about 2 points short. did think about learning french but as it has to be degree level and so far he knows none at all, it seemed a long shot way in.
Does it have to be degree level? Thought he'd get 2 points for basic French, which is said to be equivalent to A level French. One of those residential immersion courses in France would soon sort that out! I'm sure I've seen one recommended on here before so it might be worth doing a search.

Or further education for him to get some extra points? What education points would he get at the mo?

Maybe something to look in to anyway? He could always give it a go, and keep job hunting in the interim.

Good luck.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:39 pm
finally together...

thanks chris. we are plugging away in the meantime. basically he gets points for finisheing school and then one year NVQ.

i may be mistaken in the degree level french i understood it had to be really good to pass the test they give you. if there is a school recommended ill have a search thanks.