Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Agencies for Foreign Workers

Wikiposts

Agencies for Foreign Workers

Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:14 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Agencies for Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Please re-read my post - my exact quote was "I'm sure you know that using a recruitment agency is highly unlikely to result in any job offers" - meaning I was referring only to the OP, hence the word 'you'!! If I'd meant it more generally I would have said 'everyone' instead of 'you'.

There may be a minority that are able to use a recruitment agency, but it's certainly not the norm. Even my husband, who is headhunted from Canada regularly and who has had several recruitment agencies contact him with regards to a specific role they've been asked to recruit him for by the company, has been told by all of them that if he'd gone to them directly they wouldn't have bothered taking him on!

Just one of the problems of forums, tone cannot always be detected, I sure you agree that your statement can be read both ways. As you didn't mean it sweepingly I apologise for my grumpy response but I get fed up with people looking down upon my profession. Yes there are shysters around but there are agencies out there who are professional and work for their canddiates/clients benefit and not just for their pockets.

It is hard to get local agencies that aren't used to bringing in foreign workers for contract positions as they are scared by the paperwork but generally if they are recruiting for a staff position then it is the client that had told them they are not to present non-Canadian candidates. TO an agency if they are recruiting for a staff position and the client has not placed any restrictions on geographic location of candidates then the agency wouldn't care because they do not get involved in the LMO/TWP paperwork, its the client/candidate that would be doing that.

For any Brit that is looking for a good resource of expat jobs and/or agencies try Expat Network
Old Mar 20th 2009, 4:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
There is more to it than say an Estate Agent.
Originally Posted by Alan2005
sometimes a necessary evil, but you don't have to like them.
Still stands
Old Mar 20th 2009, 5:35 am
Just Joined

MIB TEW is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I spend a lot of time on the phone to Canada speaking with both agencies and employers. The main thing that I am told is that they don't employ foreign workers due to the LMO procedure (obviously Secretaries and Administration staff from abroad aren't as important as other professions).

My aim is to have a job to go to on arrival in Calgary, as my husband will have his job, and I didn't want to be 'home alone' for six months with thinking time. Alternatively I will go self employed (sausage production - I am also an ex butcheress), as I am in the process of licence, equipment and ingredients exploring. Voluntary work is also a major consideration.

Thanks.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:32 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MIB TEW

My aim is to have a job to go to on arrival in Calgary, as my husband will have his job, and I didn't want to be 'home alone' for six months with thinking time. Alternatively I will go self employed (sausage production - I am also an ex butcheress), as I am in the process of licence, equipment and ingredients exploring. Voluntary work is also a major consideration.

Thanks.
If your husband has a job you'll be able to get an open work permit and so won't need to go down the LMO route, you will be able to work for any employer in any type role
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:58 am
Just Joined

MIB TEW is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if he is classed as a skilled worker. Semi skilled (truck driving) means I can't work on his permit for 6 months. Hence I would like my own.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 5:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MIB TEW
Only if he is classed as a skilled worker. Semi skilled (truck driving) means I can't work on his permit for 6 months. Hence I would like my own.
You could always do volunteer work if you are unable to get a TWP.