Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

After school clubs

Wikiposts

After school clubs

Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:03 am
Just Joined

gules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nicegules is just really nice
Default After school clubs

Hi,

I am hoping to emigrate to montreal from London, this summer. One of my sons will be starting high school, he is 11 yrs old. I wanted to know if there is anything like afterschool clubs for his age group at high schools. I know they are activities after school, but they are not everyday and I need something that runs till 6pm week days. Can anyone pls tell me what my options are for after school care. Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 7:17 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After school clubs

Originally Posted by gules
Hi,

I am hoping to emigrate to montreal from London, this summer. One of my sons will be starting high school, he is 11 yrs old. I wanted to know if there is anything like afterschool clubs for his age group at high schools. I know they are activities after school, but they are not everyday and I need something that runs till 6pm week days. Can anyone pls tell me what my options are for after school care. Thanks.
He will be teased mercilessly if you put him an after school club at his age...they tend to be only up to age 11 anyway (Grade 6) Try to think of something else...maybe a karate club or a sporting club he can get to on his own steam once settled. If I put my 11 year old in something like that he would be mortified. Kids are cruel.....
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:36 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Don't now about montreal but here there is a couple of Martial Arts schools the operate just like a before and after Club.

Picks kids up gets report from teacher extra pressups work out if any trouble, then the kids have to do that nights home work and then the get to do the Martial Stuff.

Some kids accept some don't but it was quite good at turning around a couple of kids for parents we know.

Also a monthly membership to the LOCAL (if your lucky ) YMCA

YMCA

As someone mentioned most are on until 12 - age/cost
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Canada is the King of children`s activities - any weather, day and time.

You and your family will be invited out to many venues by your new friends.

PS - Montreal - 100% French.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:31 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You might try contacting possible schools and asking them, as Canada is a big country and facilities obviously vary from town to town, province to province.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

offwego is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about Montreal but he will be in Junior High and if he is into sports he should be ok. Most of the extra curricular hours are filled with sports.
Football (US), Soccer, baseball, hockey in the winter ...the list is endless.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:27 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by offwego
Not sure about Montreal but he will be in Junior High and if he is into sports he should be ok. Most of the extra curricular hours are filled with sports.
Football (US), Soccer, baseball, hockey in the winter ...the list is endless.
... but not until 6 pm-ish. My lad finishes school at 2.40pm, gets the school bus and is normally home at 3.

On Fridays at his last school they finished at mid-day, and in this one they go in later on a Friday and finish normal time.

He is 14, and I am not working yet, so not a problem. Also my elder son is at home most days. However, if he were younger, and when I get work, and when elder goes off to uni (next year) it could be more of an issue.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 28th 2006 at 5:30 am.