Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

After LMO - what next for a work permit? (Ontario)

Wikiposts

After LMO - what next for a work permit? (Ontario)

Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After LMO - what next for a work permit? (Ontario)

Originally Posted by omro
Anyone know anywhere like that in southern Ontario?!
Niagara. See the Falls from both sides and pick up the TWP en passant.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

omro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Niagara. See the Falls from both sides and pick up the TWP en passant.
Sounds like a good idea.

Any other tips for making sure it happens smoothly, no chances of denial?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 9:15 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good idea.

Any other tips for making sure it happens smoothly, no chances of denial?
Don't p1ss off the immigration person. Smile, agree with everything they say and even if they are having a bad day and say something out of order (there was a thread not so long back about some of these people being not very nice) don't bite
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

I've been patient this long, I can deal with a slow process and rude person.

I just need the LMO now
Old Jun 13th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

I would check with the immigration web site for all the documents you may need, I applied to London ( I was living in Holland at the time) and had to send police checks from every country I had lived in, resume for myself and my wife, trade certificates and references to prove I was qualified for the job.

It would be better to have documents with you and not be asked for them, instead of not having all the required paperwork an risking being refused.

Im not trying to scare you, I have heard it is no problem to get the WP at port of entry, I think it makes sense to avoid any delays because you didn't have the correct paperwork.

Best of luck
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Will I need a police check for a work permit? I already did one and that was included with the PR visa application.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:12 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Will I need a police check for a work permit? I already did one and that was included with the PR visa application.
Nope - I don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting asked for them, even if most of us have them...just in case!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Nope - I don't think I have ever heard of anyone getting asked for them, even if most of us have them...just in case!
I think it depends what the job you will be doing is. I am in the construction industry and police checks were required for my WP.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

It will be an IT Sales and Support position.

I did have a police check done for the PR visa, but I didn't keep a copy of it.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:56 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

It will be an IT Sales and Support position.

I did have a police check done for the PR visa, but I didn't keep a copy of it.
I really wouldn't sweat it! As long as you have your LMO, Job Offer and Job Contract you will be fine...oh yes and $150!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 5:37 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I really wouldn't sweat it! As long as you have your LMO, Job Offer and Job Contract you will be fine...oh yes and $150!
Ditto - you'll be fine.

We didn't need a police check for our WPs.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone!

All of this information has been much appreciated!
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:15 am
Just Joined

janet1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

The company with the job that I was going for has decided to apply for an LMO. Their lawyer is dealing with it. Should it be successful, said lawyer wants to charge me £2,100 to do the work permit. I've seen that the fee for a work permit is only $150.

What can the lawyer possibly offer that will guarantee the work permit in such a way to make the more than 10 fold higher fee worthwhile?

Am I better off just applying for the work permit myself and if so, what is the general process for Ontario and what can I do to improve my chances of being approved?

Thanks!
we did everything ourselves, never used a lawyer at all, completed all the paperwork & medicals . been in Canada now 8 years & loving it.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

itpro is an unknown quantity at this point

Omro, wish you luck for getting successful WP.

Can anyone guide that what are the possible ways to find a company that would be willing to offer apply for a LMO in order to hire foreign professionals.

I have been trying hard but till now have not found something concrete.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itpro
Omro, wish you luck for getting successful WP.

Can anyone guide that what are the possible ways to find a company that would be willing to offer apply for a LMO in order to hire foreign professionals.

I have been trying hard but till now have not found something concrete.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Thanks.

The way I found my job was to visit the city that I wanted to move to and apply for jobs that I saw advertised. Being there allows you a greater chance of going to an interview. When I was applying back in the UK I heard no responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.