affording a car in Toronto?

Wikiposts

affording a car in Toronto?

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default affording a car in Toronto?

Hi

I am about to fly out to Toronto on a work permit, my job requires me to have a car. Whilst it is the same company I have worked for in the UK, they do not go for company cars. So I need to run my own.

I have looked at car prices and can see they are cheaper than the UK, but the insurance quotes have been up in the $6000. The car I was looking for was an Audi A4, am I getting high premiums for a foreign car? I am not too familiar with the Canadian cars.

I have a letter coming from Direct line to say I have 4 years claim free motoring ( it is more like 12 years claim free but most was done with company cars) will this count?

Are Canadians bad drivers? Or are they insurance companies just greedy?

Iain
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

try getting a quote for various types of car but no matter what you do as a new driver in Canada from another country with a foreign licence you are going to get hammered for insurance, even Canadians who have been here all their life can only bank on low rates from long term insurers, if they change policies etc they also get hammered with new high rates.

The reason the insurance companies give for the rise in rates is the cost associated with minor claims. The people who no matter how small the accident get a "no win no fee" lawyer and sue for damages. Of course they say this at the same time as posting record profits.

You might get a better rate on a domestic car but even still the bulk of your premium is because you are a new driver not because of the car. In fact you will find some insurance companies like state farm might not even write you a policy at all.

In the end you just have to accept that initial insurance is high in Canada, especially in Ontario and the maratimes and just factor it into costs like you would with high Gas prices in the UK. The car is cheaper but insurance is more expensive and Gas is cheaper etc. It's all a balancing act. In the end if you need a car you need a car.

You will be lucky to find anywhere that will give you much of a discount for your UK history, but try arguing and batering. I recall someone eventually getting some credit from TD Canada Trust bank's car insurance after lots of protesting and speaking to supervisors etc.

Drew
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

Try getting a series of quotes from a Broker (there's plenty of 'em) .Ask them if getting a less flashy vehicle (if that is feasible for you - I know some jobs require you to 'look the part' with the car) will reduce your rates. It should.

An Audi A4 may be viewed as a 'high performance' vehicle (depending on which insurance co you go to) and you as an 'unknown quantity' in Canada may be lucky to be getting a $6000 quote.
Make sure you are not getting a 'target' vehicle for thieves etc. Again, this is something the Broker can help with.

If you can cope with something a bit more bland (e.g. a Cavalier) with no modifications (no sports rims, no spoiler etc) and up your deductibles to $1000 a piece for Comp and Collision (or higher) you may save a few bucks.

Also, if you don't mind getting a used vehicle, some companies allow you to get a 'damage payout limitation' e.g if your car is only worth $5000 then you can get an endorsement which limits the insurance company's payout on the vehicle and can reduce the rate you pay. Worth a shot, anyway.

Go to www.autotrader.ca and have a browse to get more familiar with North American vehicles (but German and Japanese are usually better quality).

Good luck!
Old Jul 4th 2004, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Iain, cars are rated on the "CLEAR" system here (some insurance jargon) which bases rating around, type of car, cost to replace parts, past insurance claims, survivability in accidents etc. Your "cheapest" car to insure will be a domestic 4 door mid size brand something like an Chevrolet Cavalier - however if I was starting out and wanted a decent - cheap car for the first few years which was reasonably inexpensive to insure I would go for Toyota Corrola or Honda Civic - both have excellant reliability reputations, parts are cheaper then German cars - though they are NOT very exciting. Take Drivers ed here and get 3 star rating which may cut your insurance bill in half.
Royal Bank may be a good place to get a quote and also try www.pcfinancial.ca

Also watch the jargo a fully insured car here needs COLLISION and COMPREHENSIVE - comprehensive alone will not cover YOUR car if YOU are at fault.

All the best

Ray
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:43 am
Glaswegian

When we were new here we went into the AMA and asked about drivers ed. The AMA man was very helpful and explained all the courses and the potential discounts available on insurance.

When we reached the point of asking to book a particular course for ourselves he looked very surprised and asked why we would want to do that. On explaining that we needed the insurance deduction he informed us that we wouldnt get it anyway as we were not "new drivers". So in the end we didnt book the course. Instead we had a few lessons with one of the instructors.

So I suppose he was telling us we looked old enough to have a 14year old new driver!

Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice ... Appreciated very much

Iain