Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Affect on moving kids school within Canada

Wikiposts

Affect on moving kids school within Canada

Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough
Default Affect on moving kids school within Canada

Hi everyone,

Need some reassurance here

Hubby got offered two jobs which he is taking one in Mississauga and the other in Markham, we at the present time are in Ajax

Now the boys (14 & 5) have started school in Ajax in March and am worried how it will effect them if we move them half way to help with commuting for hubby.
I am nervous and worried how it will affect me so can only image what the boys might go through , as they have already started making friends in the area.

Am looking to move towards Markham or Thornhill area to cut down on the commute.

Thanks
Mhut

Last edited by Mhut; Apr 26th 2012 at 6:03 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26th 2012, 8:59 am
Just Joined

maybe_canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Affect on moving kids school within Canada

No experience of 14 year olds but my 5 year old can make friends within a few minutes at a playpark and has settled well into his new school here in Canada within a few days so I really wouldn't worry too much. Children at that age seem really keen to befriend the new guys!

Can you involve the 14 year old in the decision - maybe let him see a few schools in the right area for you as a family and commit to choosing a house within the correct catchment?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mhut
Hi everyone,

Hubby got offered two jobs which he is taking one in Mississauga and the other in Markham, we at the present time are in Ajax

Am looking to move towards Markham or Thornhill area to cut down on the commute.

Thanks
Mhut
Houses in both Markham and Thornhill are much more expensive than in Ajax (generalization I know), have you considered just biting the commute bullet? Ajax to Markham using the 407 is not that bad. Roughly 30 kms and 35 minutes. The 407 toll charges would be an issue, but get rid of the SUV (assumption) and get a fuel efficient small car and you're likely well ahead of relocating.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Apr 26th 2012 at 9:10 am.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Houses in both Markham and Thornhill are much more expensive than in Ajax (generalization I know), have you considered just biting the commute bullet? Ajax to Markham using the 407 is not that bad. Roughly 30 kms and 35 minutes. The 407 toll charges would be an issue, but get rid of the SUV (assumption) and get a fuel efficient small car and you're likely well ahead of relocating.
I read it as though he has a 2nd job in Mississauga too. Am I right? Ajax to Mississauga is a fair trek. Living in Markham or Thornhill....Hmmm
Old Apr 26th 2012, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
I read it as though he has a 2nd job in Mississauga too. Am I right? Ajax to Mississauga is a fair trek. Living in Markham or Thornhill....Hmmm
If so, that's different perhaps. I read it as two job offers of which one would be accepted (presumably the one in Markham).

Perhaps the OP would clarify?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys,

He is taking both the jobs, so please suggest

Mhut
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:48 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Mhut
Thanks guys,

He is taking both the jobs, so please suggest

Mhut
If he has to go to each location each day, he's screwed. If it's one or the other, then maybe around Rutherford or Steeles & Jane or Keele. He could use 7/407 for Markham and 400/401 for Mississauga.

Best of luck with that though. Is he nuts?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If he has to go to each location each day, he's screwed. If it's one or the other, then maybe around Rutherford or Steeles & Jane or Keele. He could use 7/407 for Markham and 400/401 for Mississauga.

Best of luck with that though. Is he nuts?

Thats what I said to him , it is 3 days in Markham and 3 days in Mississauga. He says a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do

The kids are the concern, hubby saying he don't mind commuting to the two locations if kids are going to get messed up, but I am thinking long term he is going to get messed up commuting everyday.

Thanks for that.

Mhut