Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on Winnipeg

Advice on Winnipeg

Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:17 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Winnipeg

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Well that was fun everyone turned up, we had a great meal at the Keg.. Loads of silly Brit like chit chat and a giggle... Hope we can manage to do this again and may be get a few more Britpegs out of the closset.
Yes it was a nice night out and i enjoyed myself very much. I would love to do it again sometime.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:37 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Its good to put a face to a name, a fun night out. Thanks All.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was fun everyone turned up, we had a great meal at the Keg.. Loads of silly Brit like chit chat and a giggle... Hope we can manage to do this again and may be get a few more Britpegs out of the closset.
Yep = A good night had by all........ I think a new posting, inviting everyone for a beer or a coffee on some sort of Bi Monthly basis would be good for many. Gets us out the house n all that.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Yep = A good night had by all........ I think a new posting, inviting everyone for a beer or a coffee on some sort of Bi Monthly basis would be good for many. Gets us out the house n all that.
Im up for that,,,especially as the girls got up on the tables and danced,that really got things going
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Good idea. I think there's a meet-up calendar somewhere on this website.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Well sounds like you all had a blast - whose wives were dancing on the tables again??!

Maybe this time next year we'll be able to join you guys

Anita
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
Well sounds like you all had a blast - whose wives were dancing on the tables again??!

Maybe this time next year we'll be able to join you guys

Anita
Are you offering your services aswell
i cant name the two gals that got up and strutted their stuff mainly because i cant remember their names,but it all went a bit pear shaped when Stuart ( MB Realtor)decided to join in not a pretty sight believe me

So if their are any other Britpegs out their call in and come along,,we promise to restrain Stu
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Are you offering your services aswell
He he maybe without this baby bump I would! I certainly hope we'll be seeing some pictures of Stuart dancing...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:17 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Hello All,

We managed to get home on Sunday without missing any flights! Went to sleep last night at 9pm after having stayed awake for 30hrs. Needless to say my eyes didn't open until the alarm went off for work today, brings a whole new meaning to the words Monday blues!

Raj and I really enjoyed our night out on Thursday, we were surprised you don't do it more often. It appears that Winnipeg has attracted the right sort of BritPeg.

As you may remember, we were due to fly out to Toronto the next day. Landed without a hitch and hired a car straightaway. Toronto has changed a helluva a lot since i was there last which was about 18years ago.

I couldn't believe how busy it was! The motorway was horrendous!
Worse than London i reckon. It has grown so much and at such a fast pace with construction going on everywhere. Hate to see what it will be like in 5years. Some of the new houses were bunched up, very similar to the UK. Can only see it getting worse. Met an older couple in Oakville who had moved over from Vancouver 5 years ago and they said the same had happened there.

No place is perfect, but you've got to see what suits you and having the space to breathe is big tick for us. There's a world of difference between Winni and Toronto, and for us, Winni offers a lot more, our research paid off.

Had a meal on Saturday in the CN Tower revolving restaurant, not cheap but worth it for the food and views, nice finish to our holiday/reccie.

Must thank you all for the Tips on what to and what not to do when trying to emigrate to Canada. Wealth of information you lot, and i'm sure we'll be calling on you again when we get the immigration process going.

BTW, received confirmation email today stating that I've been accepted into the Canadian CGA Accountancy body.

Anita, thanks for telling us about the SRI MPNP route. Our meeting with immigration went very well and we were given an 'Invitation To Apply'.

Just out of interest, the B&B couple we stayed with in Toronto said that most Canadians think that Toronto is the centre of the Universe!

It made me laugh because i think another forum member mentioned it before but i never thought that it was really how they actually think! Definitely an eye opener.

Regards to all,

Hubsand and Wifey

Last edited by Dis-Illusionist; Nov 3rd 2008 at 9:12 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:10 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Just out of interest, the B&B couple we stayed with in Toronto said that most natives of Toronto think that Toronto is the centre of the Universe!
Edited for accuracy - out west most Canadian's barely give Toronto a passing thought.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Edited for accuracy - out west most Canadian's barely give Toronto a passing thought.
Which is what I thought, but the chap was quite elderly and i didn't want to give him a heart attack!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad you enjoyed your trip - what was the weather like? Did you get the chance to visit any places outside of the city, like the beach or some of the towns in the suburbs? What did you think of the houses Stuart showed you?

Anita
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:22 pm
RETIRED Realtor

As to the Weather; yesterday it was +18c & Sunny (broke a 105 year record) and I managed a round of golf, the course was packed.

And today its 11c and Sunny but its going to change tomorrow with rain, and snow flurries for the end of the week.

The weather this autumn has been absolutely fabulous.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Overcast on the Sunday. Clear for the rest of the week with temperatures getting warmer as the week progressed.

Went to see Grand Beach and also Patricia Beach (John's recommendation).

Unusually, both beaches were empty but they did have excellent views with white sands! Managed to get a speeding ticket on the way there, $278 ouch!

Went through Selkirk on the way back but didn't really see much as we stuck to Main Street (High Street) and didn't venture out to the side roads.

Stewart showed us a few houses which gave us a good idea of what we want.

Went to see three elementary schools. The Royal, Chapman and Pacific Junction which all fall in the Charleswood area. Raj and I were both impressed with all three schools in terms of size, facilities and the way the kids were treated. Thumbs up from us two.

We drove around areas like Lindenwoods, Richmond, Tuxedo, Wolsley, River Heights, Osbourne and Charleswood, so pretty much everywhere.

I liked Charleswood and Tuxedo the most. The newer properties in Lindenwood seem to have smaller gardens. Tuxedo was nice but I think the schools in Charleswood have a better mix of kids in terms of socio-economic backgrounds. I think we'd pick Charleswood if we had to decide today.

Overall i was quite impressed. I think Winnipeg will grow quite quickly. Lot of construction going on within Winnipeg and also on the outskirts. Saw a few nice houses on the drive back to Winni from Selkirk but commuting is something i'd like to avoid doing if at all possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.