Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on where in Canada to move to please!

Advice on where in Canada to move to please!

Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on where in Canada to move to please!

I'd find out where you can work first and then see which of these locations has local ski resorts.

Nelson is close to nowhere and has a very small population. We live in Kelowna and my husband skis at big white. Some of the ski hills such as revelstoke really cater for the more advanced skier so it depends what level you are at.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Big White is often shrouded in Fog.... As much as I really enjoy Kelowna it's more of a shopping Mall culture than community.. Once you leave the OK you cater for the more advanced skier..
Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:07 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden-eye
Once you leave the OK you cater for the more advanced skier..
Do you move from the OK to Switzerland?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donnykins
Alberta...is sheltered from the bad weather that summer can bring, because of the Rockies.
'fraid not!

You're welcome to check out both my severely hail damaged vehicles and my buddies houses that were battered by severe winds/hail last week in Airdrie

Summer can be a right bastard at times...33 above can be nice if you're in a lovely airconditioned building but working in that sucks donkey baws!

give me skiing in the rockies at -20 any day of the week!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, big white does get foggy and there's very little to do if you're not skiing. The okanagan bakes in the summer and the hillsides are now brown and the skies are very smokey. It's lovely in the spring time and fall but I'm not a fan of the rest of it
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Calgaryscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Calgary all the way, soooo much sunshine, even in winter.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:43 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

BC and Alberta are both equally beautiful and great for skiing but I believe BC is more expensive to live.

My husband is also a Police Officer here and had previously been so in the UK also. As someone else I think mentioned earlier, some Police Services here (Calgary included) were previously recruiting from the UK but I'm not aware of any that are at present. Certainly, for Calgary now, I believe you have to have PR for 3 years before you can apply. I would also reiterate what someone else had said in that you have to have Citizenship before being able to join the RCMP.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
BC and Alberta are both equally beautiful and great for skiing but I believe BC is more expensive to live.

My husband is also a Police Officer here and had previously been so in the UK also. As someone else I think mentioned earlier, some Police Services here (Calgary included) were previously recruiting from the UK but I'm not aware of any that are at present. Certainly, for Calgary now, I believe you have to have PR for 3 years before you can apply. I would also reiterate what someone else had said in that you have to have Citizenship before being able to join the RCMP.
Plus, don't they have to live for six months in Regina while they do their training? That's got be enough to put anybody off.