Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada

Originally Posted by thedaviscrew
hi!
thanks for that, we have very little 'spare' money so we are trying to cut costs as much as possible to be perfectly honest the speed everything has taken off has really suprised us and caught us a little off guard, we where expecting it to take years and its been months, my oh has been to Canada a few times and loves the life, he's a HGV driver, he's already had some interest shown in him by 2 companies! we can't believe it! im just not sure we will be able to afford to ship everything!! its such a difficult choice! we have some nice furniture but a lot is hand me downs from family. aargh!!! decisions decisions decisions!!!! thanks for your help!!!
It's not cheap this emigration malarkey is it?! I'd do a search of the forums for previous threads about the cost of furniture and that should give you some info. Cost of buying enough stuff to fill a new house is generally said to be about twice the price of shipping it over.

Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd double check that if I were you - good furniture is very expensive in Canada apparently! We're shipping the contents of our 4 bed house over and even though that's going to cost approx £6k, that's a lot cheaper than buying everything new when we get there. You've got to remember that it's not just the furniture you'd have to replace, but also the little things even down to loo roll holders, potato peeler or cheese grater! Buying all that new will cost a lot.

Plus of course, having familiar belongings around you in a strange country should help you settle much easier.

Obviously your choice, but I'd just look in to the cost of furniture in Canada before you assume it'll be cheaper.

I think this is very true. Plus all that buying and looking and unpacking soon loses the fun element. You buy stuff because you have to, you may not have found the best deal, or what you really want.

Another important point is that most Canadian houses have basements where you can use your old UK stuff once you get round to buying the fancy new stuff that you really want.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps one thing that needs to be brought from the UK to Canada is a sense of humour...............
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE gremlin

T-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of lightT-Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Perhaps a sense of humour?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an echo in here?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE gremlin

No, I just like the sound of my own voice
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

I have been in NB for 3 months now and in my humble opinion, as have just set up home;

1. Furniture - depends upon where you live as to costs incurred - Fredericton has few furniture stores and the items I like ( contemporary style sofas etc) are quite expensive to buy. Delivery costs are quite high here from elsewhere in the country. I went to the various sales and bought ex display and discounted items from the UK before I left. Big but follows though: husband's company paying for our shipment so did not have to worry about shipment. Have found shops here like The Brick and Ikea do ship to NB and they sell reasonably priced tasteful sofas etc but again I refer you to the shipping costs noted above.

2. Bathroom suites - expensive, expect shipping time from manufacturer to be about 3-4 weeks on ordered items. Some items in stock at Home Depot/Kent etc. OH had to drive 2 hours to St John to buy apron for bathtub for bathroom reno! July sales are still in July in Canada!

3. Food etc. We have found Marmite, Weetabix, mustard powder, HP sauce, horlicks/ovaltine, unsalted and spreadable butter, choc digestives and Ribena in Loblaws (Atlantic Superstore).
Cadbury's dairy milk bars in local convenience store.
Self-raising flour - Walmart.

What do I miss after 3 months -
Bisto Gravy Granules - homemade novelty has worn off.
DOUBLE CREAM - recent attempted banoffie pie ruined by whipped!
Back bacon - wish they did not smoke/cook it but left you to cook it.
Fruit in juice(in tin) - most here have fruit in syrup -yuk!
Supermarket pre-made foods like chicken kievs - most foods like that here have tons of salt in them - so lots of recipe ideas to come up with week by week.

The novelty of buying appliances/tvs/furniture/curtain rails/lighting etc really wears off after a while and gets tedious. Also we had bathrooms and kitchen renos done do add to that, tiles, bathroom suites and cabinetry and I am shopped out for the next year ( well until I hit H&M and Gapin Moncton next week!).

Dont forget good old 'The shopping Channel', because of their bulk buying power you can get the odd bargain - I got my Kitchenaid mixer for 2/3 price of 10% off 'bargain' in future shop and they have spreadable payment plans - avid exQVCers enjoy ;-). Check out their Acer laptops too.

Oh and nobody told me how difficult it was to get curtain rails with hoops/holes on them - lots of rails here are either posts or have clips at the bottom. Found the rails with holes/hoops in a shop called Fabricville. Now can at last hang my curtains from home.

To finish rambling ( hoorah?) dont forget good ole canada does get easy shipments from the US ( if you're not visiting) I got a plug in towel warmer ( contemporary wall mounted one) from the US, cost about US$370 and arrived in 10 days. Think website was www.vintagetub.com could not even get one locally.

HTH
Kathy
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:16 am
Just Joined

essexgirlno1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angie123
well, house is on the market, and getting in gear to move back to Canada - racking my brain what to buy that I know I will regret, if i dont, to bring back to canada.

I am going there this week and will be looking at stuff adn prices so i can come back and see what i need to ship over.

any ideas for me on that score? Can you use UK toilet seats in Canada? i know the lightbulbs are different, so no point in bringing my light fixtures.

what would a nice 1930's wooden side cabinet cost? i can get them here for next to nothing but it will cost to ship.

by the way, good deals on canadian affair at the moment, crappy airline (from memory) but cheap.
Twiglets - decent chocolate - M & S knickers (sorry guys) - and a francise for Next!
That would be a start....
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie123
well, house is on the market, and getting in gear to move back to Canada - racking my brain what to buy that I know I will regret, if i dont, to bring back to canada.

I am going there this week and will be looking at stuff adn prices so i can come back and see what i need to ship over.

any ideas for me on that score? Can you use UK toilet seats in Canada? i know the lightbulbs are different, so no point in bringing my light fixtures.

what would a nice 1930's wooden side cabinet cost? i can get them here for next to nothing but it will cost to ship.

by the way, good deals on canadian affair at the moment, crappy airline (from memory) but cheap.
Got toilet seats in Canada but no floor so bring one with you!
Attached Thumbnails Advice for what to buy in UK to bring to Canada-cid_7db32f194e224e5a987e152710c33d66%40paulpc.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

dudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant futuredudlek has a brilliant future

PS

M&S Delivers to Canada now - £20 delivery and of course the duties on import. Just placed an order as bra size diff to get here.

Spoke with Next re delivery and they are looking to deliver to Canada very soon as part of their international delivery plans.

Basically I have been thinking along the lines of the previous posters!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:19 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dudlek
PS

M&S Delivers to Canada now - £20 delivery and of course the duties on import. Just placed an order as bra size diff to get here.

Spoke with Next re delivery and they are looking to deliver to Canada very soon as part of their international delivery plans.
Basically I have been thinking along the lines of the previous posters!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS..............