Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on schools in Nova Scotia please.

Advice on schools in Nova Scotia please.

Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

martin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nice
Default Advice on schools in Nova Scotia please.

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on good schools in Nova Scotia. My daughter will be five when we move. I understand that you have to live in the catchment area of the school of we are trying to bear this in mind when we start looking for a house.

Many thanks
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:19 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on schools in Nova Scotia please.

Hi

We are trying to look at this at the moment, however it is difficult because as you say it is pretty much determined by where you end up living. We also have the difficulty that we will probably be renting for a while before buying, but want to try and avoid having to change school again 6 mths down the road!!

Here is a link that might be helpful

http://www.ednet.ns.ca/index.php?t=sub_pages&cat=9

you can click on the map on the above link and it will outline the different school boards for each area. There is also a link for School Boards, you can go the area you are interested in and you can then get a list of all the schools.

I have contacted a couple of principals direct and they have been really helpful, but as I said above we are a little stuck until we know where we are going to be living

Good luck, sure things will work out in the end(thats what I keep telling myself)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

martin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nicemartin_julie_mia is just really nice

Thanks very much for that. I will have a good read. It is difficult until we know where we are going but at least it will give me an idea.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 10:19 am

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

No Probs

Perhaps one of the mods may be able to move this into the main Canada forum, may get a few more people that can help, see it
Old Dec 10th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

There is not as much public data available on schools as in the UK, but check out this link http://www.aims.ca/issues.asp?cmPageID=445 for info on High Schools. As a rule if the High School is good the Primary Schools will be too.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Nova Scotia is a big place. What part are you looking in? I can give you advice on Halifax.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:31 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

We are trying to look at this at the moment, however it is difficult because as you say it is pretty much determined by where you end up living. We also have the difficulty that we will probably be renting for a while before buying, but want to try and avoid having to change school again 6 mths down the road!!

Here is a link that might be helpful

http://www.ednet.ns.ca/index.php?t=sub_pages&cat=9

you can click on the map on the above link and it will outline the different school boards for each area. There is also a link for School Boards, you can go the area you are interested in and you can then get a list of all the schools.

I have contacted a couple of principals direct and they have been really helpful, but as I said above we are a little stuck until we know where we are going to be living

Good luck, sure things will work out in the end(thats what I keep telling myself)
We were advised to approach a school where we wanted to go live.
Meaning, we moved to Truro and knew we wanted to live downtown West.
The nearest school was Willow Street.
However we were in digs in Bible Hill.
The school accepted our declared intention which was to live downtown and before too long thats where we ended up.
Its a common sense thing. Certainly in the case of Willow Street they understood the situation and were very helpful. School board too. Pity its closing down.

Yeah watch out for that. The trend seems to be to shut down the neighbourhood primaries and to ferry all the poor kids by bus to some huge mega-elementary. All the snazzy IT labs in the world will never pursuade me its a good idea to remove the community schools but there you go.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by wbexpat
We were advised to approach a school where we wanted to go live.
Meaning, we moved to Truro and knew we wanted to live downtown West.
The nearest school was Willow Street.
However we were in digs in Bible Hill.
The school accepted our declared intention which was to live downtown and before too long thats where we ended up.
Its a common sense thing. Certainly in the case of Willow Street they understood the situation and were very helpful. School board too. Pity its closing down.

Yeah watch out for that. The trend seems to be to shut down the neighbourhood primaries and to ferry all the poor kids by bus to some huge mega-elementary. All the snazzy IT labs in the world will never pursuade me its a good idea to remove the community schools but there you go.
Hi wbx

Yes agree with the above, they are merging 2 schools into one in Stewiacke from Jan next year I believe.

We are aiming to move in June which will at least give us the school summer break to sort out where we are going to live etc and then the school almost sorts itself

We are looking at Colchester area too
Old Dec 11th 2008, 5:50 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tantallon and Haliburton Hills schools are excellent, no complaints here!