Reload this Page >

Advice required, Skilled Worker Immigration from UK

Advice required, Skilled Worker Immigration from UK

Old Jul 25th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mayur Patel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required, Skilled Worker Immigration from UK

Hi everyone,

I am a IT consultant living and working in the UK for the last 21yrs.

Work is plentiful in the UK and in Europe, Its just that I was on a visit to Canada on business while working for a Canadian company two years ago and I almost fell in love with the quality of life and the laid back nature of the people, the scenary, lots to do and go places (at least in Vancouver BC).

At the time I had a score of 73 under the Skilled Worker points requirements which was enough on the previous law, I kept on saying I will apply and never decided.

Lately I have been thinking again because my career has not been progressing as well as I wish due to limitations in the uptake of technology in the UK compared to the US/Canada.

Therefore been thinking of immigrating to Canada on their Skilled worker system as this is the most appropriate way I feel

Under the new system, since I do not have the minimum 75 points do you think I should still attempt applying. What would be my chances of passing the test?

Or I should not apply altogther because they will reject my application and therefore be a waste of money.

Would it be helpful if I took the challenge of doing French language course and attain the basic level of speaking and listening which may give me the two points, that is if the Visa officer thinks I have basic ability to speak and listen in French with what I may learn in say 6 months time before the interview.

Has anyone managed to obtain the Visa's when applying from the UK under the new points system?, especially someone who had 2-3 points less of the 75 pass mark.

Also considering there is a IT recession has anyone in the IT industry managed to pass and obtain their PR permits?

I will be very grateful to receive any valuable advice and comments to my questions.

Thanking you all in advance.
Old Jul 25th 2003, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

bosvrucht is an unknown quantity at this point

hi.

My question is fairly similar and hope that someone can give me some advice.

I'm let down with the section "education" - although I attended university full-time for three years I did not get the actual degree. I did 1 year of a biology degree then changed to software engineering and did 2 years. Now, if I don't count these I come out at around 72 I believe, if I do I scrape 76. Does anyone know whether I can count these years of education?

What else could I do? Is it really so that simply by having a husband I'd earn an extra 5 points? Do they not want me messing with the local boys or something?

Thanks

F
Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:50 pm
english speakin

Don't come the IT industry is extremely bad- over 20,000 unemployed in Ottawa alone!! PLease take my word for it things are really bad here!!!

Old Jul 26th 2003, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mayur Patel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advice, I have been told the same by people working in the Canadian company I used to work for over here in UK, one person had come over to UK as a project manager and was told to remain in the UK office, if was to return to BC where he is from than there would not be a job for him.

What type professions are in demand in the current downturn? any one wish to comment?

Thanks.