Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice re dog Manchester - toronto please?

Advice re dog Manchester - toronto please?

Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice re dog Manchester - toronto please?

I've looked into this and as I detest CA i will be driving from Manchester to Heathrow (as CA/TC are the only operator from Man) and flying AC when it's time to take the dog to AB, I couldn't possibly go on a different flight to her, the stress would be too much for me, but im a softie with her.

Oh and remenber re CA the seat pitch has now been reduced to 32 inches so if your tall it will be an uncomfoprtable journey!

There are a number of threads about AC Cargo, some chap called steve deals with pets and they will deal direct with the public unlike CA.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We have looked into this and Canadian Affair fly Air Transat flights ex Heathrow....at a similar time to Air Canada. We are going to put the dog on AC and then jump on the CA flight leaving at broadly the same time...then we should all land at the same time....fingers crossed
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by blue monday
I've looked into this and as I detest CA i will be driving from Manchester to Heathrow (as CA/TC are the only operator from Man) and flying AC when it's time to take the dog to AB, I couldn't possibly go on a different flight to her, the stress would be too much for me, but im a softie with her.

Oh and remenber re CA the seat pitch has now been reduced to 32 inches so if your tall it will be an uncomfoprtable journey!

There are a number of threads about AC Cargo, some chap called steve deals with pets and they will deal direct with the public unlike CA.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:09 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I have the AT/TC cargo info - will look it up for you - we brought 2 dogs in Dec 08 to Vancouver

Me and friend took the dogs to LGW cargo - other friends took kids and my parents to main check in

Hubby met us in Van with a big truck he rented to put us and dogs in !
Old Apr 1st 2010, 4:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

dogs -well

they both had a rabies shot (well 2 as our vets view is that 1 should work but just in case it doesn't its best to have the 2nd a few weeks later to ensure they are covered - also charge you 2 x as much)

each shot was 25 squid per dog. . .
cages / travel crate thing - one I got off ebay, the other via a pet place again on line.

You put them together . . .v simple - I could do it alone!

One of the ebay sellers, plus also BA i think have bits on their web sites that shows you how big the cage needs to be - basically it needs to be taller than them standing up nad they need to be aboe to turn round - scoobs ended up with a "Giant" one.

Air Transat were the cheapest by far and it was all v simple.

I got the dogs checked by our vet on the Tuesday before we flew on the wed and got a "fit to fly" letter for both - again more money - 30 squid each.

Air T charged 695 for BOTH dogs - had to get to cargo - they told me where . 4 hrs before flight - had to write the air freight number etc on the crates, towels and newspaper inside etc. . .

went to cargo, signed and paid and left them . . .

at other end. . . got the paper work stamped by customs etc and some other bits and paid them$30 ish. Then drove to cargo and collected the dogs who were v v v pleased to see us - paid then $60 and that was it . . .

chap was Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name

oh yes what i did was look what flight we were interested in then rang cargo and made sure I could book them on that flight . . then booked the flights for us and then rang cargo back to confirm we were all on . . . .

David:

[email protected]

01784 431831
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

jomill1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyn_and_John
HI everyone

I know info has probably been posted before but i was looking for up to date info really. Hubby and i (and 2 kids) are landing in toronto hopefully june. We have a much loved family dog (collie x) and need advice/recommendations for transporting him. In an ideal world we need him picking up fom home (45 mins from manchester) and taking to the airport etc while we sort ourselves out with the kids. Then at toronto we would ideally like him to be picked up and delivered to cambridge - about 45 mins away - the humans are planning on taking a taxi as neither me nor hubby want to risk the lives of all of us by driving an unfamiliar automatic on the wrong side of the road and in busy traffic after a long flight! BUT the ideal world never happens! What experiences has anyone had of taking pets and how did they do it - can anyone recommend a co that would do this or give any advice? I did think that maybe we could pick him up from cargo at toronto but then what happens with the taxi situation - do they take dogs? So many questions sorry!

If anyone can come up with some useful advice etc i would certainly appreciate it - just thinking about sorting this is giving me more of a headache than the rest of the move put together!

thanks in advance

Lyn

Hi Lyn

We did this with our beloved border collie, Ruff, in November last year. We flew him on the same flight as us from Manchester to Toronto with Air Transat and we used Dave at Petsaway to make the arrangements for Ruff.

I found Dave very helpful and had my mind put at ease by him when I had lots of questions. He was great for the UK side of things and dropping Ruff off at Manchester went without a hitch. However some of Dave's advice as to what would happen at Toronto was incorrect (maybe he's just out of date), but we had a hard job finding out what to do when we arrived and this added to the stress of arriving in a new country - we were landing as temporary residents, so had to go through immigration for ourselves, and we have three kids, two of which were under 5, and we also had to go to customs to sort out our goods to follow being delivered the next day, so to find that Ruff wasn't where we expected him to be wasn't good news.

Dave had told us to collect Ruff at the airport, in the same place as our baggage - he even made the joke about him going round on the carousel, but in fact we had to get in our hire car and drive a mile or so to get him from the Air Transat cargo warehouse. The lady in the airport wrote down the wrong address so our sat nav had us going round in circles trying to find the place. After an hour of driving up and down the same road, we found the right building. The Air Transat cargo people didn't speak a lot of English and kept asking for more cash from us for various charges that we weren't expecting. We had no option other than to pay them, and then once it was sorted out they stamped all the documents and gave them all back to us but didn't mention Ruff. We then had to ask them what to do next, and it turned out we had to drive back to the customs place that we'd just come from to declare that we'd bought the dog with us. Once we'd done that we went back to Air Transat and presented our documents and they led us through to the warehouse where Ruff was unceremoniously brought over on a forklift truck, falling over in his crate with every turn. He was soaking wet and scared but perked up when he saw us. Air Transat told us to take the crate with us, but we had no means of even lifting it, so we ignored their shouts and just got out quick.

It sounds like a nightmare, I know, but please don't be put off by it - a lot of the stress of it wouldn't have happened if we'd known in advance where to go, what to do and what order to do it in. I'm not sure Ruff enjoyed his flight very much, but there's not much you can do about that, and he arrived in one piece and within 24 hours was back to normal.

In terms of taxis I'm not sure any would take him, but you could phone round a few and ask. On the UK side we hired a car and didn't tell them Ruff was coming with us and took him to Manchester with us, dropping him off (and wiping up his sick!) before we dropped off the hire car. In Toronto I drove the hire car and found it surprisingly easy even on unfamiliar roads. With your passenger helping out with directions then it does become familiar quite quickly, and to be honest, coming out of Toronto Pearson, you're straight onto motorways and can tootle along quite slowly for a while until you're used to it.

If you need any more advice, please let me know. I can be more specific about directions and other things to do, and costs etc, if you're interested.

Cheers

Jo
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

ftdsunburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice re dog Manchester - toronto please?

Hi, We used www.petsaway.co.uk. Dave was very helpful. Our cat and hamster (in seperate boxes!) landed in calgary in Feb '10. Both flew from Manchester on our thomas cook flights. Both animal cargo areas went smoothly. Paid 580 pounds. Gained two well made boxes. Happly settled in Calgary.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Lyn_and_John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jomill1967
Hi Lyn

We did this with our beloved border collie, Ruff, in November last year. We flew him on the same flight as us from Manchester to Toronto with Air Transat and we used Dave at Petsaway to make the arrangements for Ruff.

I found Dave very helpful and had my mind put at ease by him when I had lots of questions. He was great for the UK side of things and dropping Ruff off at Manchester went without a hitch. However some of Dave's advice as to what would happen at Toronto was incorrect (maybe he's just out of date), but we had a hard job finding out what to do when we arrived and this added to the stress of arriving in a new country - we were landing as temporary residents, so had to go through immigration for ourselves, and we have three kids, two of which were under 5, and we also had to go to customs to sort out our goods to follow being delivered the next day, so to find that Ruff wasn't where we expected him to be wasn't good news.

Dave had told us to collect Ruff at the airport, in the same place as our baggage - he even made the joke about him going round on the carousel, but in fact we had to get in our hire car and drive a mile or so to get him from the Air Transat cargo warehouse. The lady in the airport wrote down the wrong address so our sat nav had us going round in circles trying to find the place. After an hour of driving up and down the same road, we found the right building. The Air Transat cargo people didn't speak a lot of English and kept asking for more cash from us for various charges that we weren't expecting. We had no option other than to pay them, and then once it was sorted out they stamped all the documents and gave them all back to us but didn't mention Ruff. We then had to ask them what to do next, and it turned out we had to drive back to the customs place that we'd just come from to declare that we'd bought the dog with us. Once we'd done that we went back to Air Transat and presented our documents and they led us through to the warehouse where Ruff was unceremoniously brought over on a forklift truck, falling over in his crate with every turn. He was soaking wet and scared but perked up when he saw us. Air Transat told us to take the crate with us, but we had no means of even lifting it, so we ignored their shouts and just got out quick.

It sounds like a nightmare, I know, but please don't be put off by it - a lot of the stress of it wouldn't have happened if we'd known in advance where to go, what to do and what order to do it in. I'm not sure Ruff enjoyed his flight very much, but there's not much you can do about that, and he arrived in one piece and within 24 hours was back to normal.

In terms of taxis I'm not sure any would take him, but you could phone round a few and ask. On the UK side we hired a car and didn't tell them Ruff was coming with us and took him to Manchester with us, dropping him off (and wiping up his sick!) before we dropped off the hire car. In Toronto I drove the hire car and found it surprisingly easy even on unfamiliar roads. With your passenger helping out with directions then it does become familiar quite quickly, and to be honest, coming out of Toronto Pearson, you're straight onto motorways and can tootle along quite slowly for a while until you're used to it.

If you need any more advice, please let me know. I can be more specific about directions and other things to do, and costs etc, if you're interested.

Cheers

Jo
HI - thanks for that! I would be interested to know how you went about getting a hire car at toronto - i was planning on having the dog picked up etc but you said it wasnt bad driving from the airport? We will be going to cambridge and we both have full uk driving licenses - and today im going out in my mother in laws car to learn to drive an automatic - thought it was sensible!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:51 am
Just Joined

jomill1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI - thanks for that! I would be interested to know how you went about getting a hire car at toronto - i was planning on having the dog picked up etc but you said it wasnt bad driving from the airport? We will be going to cambridge and we both have full uk driving licenses - and today im going out in my mother in laws car to learn to drive an automatic - thought it was sensible!

Hello
I booked the Toronto hire car online from the UK and printed the booking form out and carried it with me in my hand luggage. I chose a firm that was international, think it was Avis, and arranged to collect the car from the airport and use it for a few days, then drop it back to an office local to where we were living. I think it cost a bit more to arrange a different drop off, but I didn't want to have to drive back to the airport when we were living half an hour away. It was very easy to do, we paid by credit card and the rental car place is a short walk from baggage claim at the airport.

We organised our sat nav from the UK too in advance and bought additional up to date maps for Canada. From the airport you do generally come straight out onto motorways, unless you're staying in and around the airport perimeter road, (which you may have to do depending on where you collect the dog from) but you could always work out in advance which roads you're heading for and have them in your sat nav.

The day we landed was my first time driving an automatic, but as long as you can get over the fact of not using your left foot then I think you'll find it easier than a manual car. I was given the advice to tuck my left foot behind my right ankle the first few times which stops you inadvertantly moving it - not sure how safe this is, but it worked for me!

Good luck with it all

Jo
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jomill1967
Hello
I booked the Toronto hire car online from the UK and printed the booking form out and carried it with me in my hand luggage. I chose a firm that was international, think it was Avis, and arranged to collect the car from the airport and use it for a few days, then drop it back to an office local to where we were living. I think it cost a bit more to arrange a different drop off, but I didn't want to have to drive back to the airport when we were living half an hour away. It was very easy to do, we paid by credit card and the rental car place is a short walk from baggage claim at the airport.

We organised our sat nav from the UK too in advance and bought additional up to date maps for Canada. From the airport you do generally come straight out onto motorways, unless you're staying in and around the airport perimeter road, (which you may have to do depending on where you collect the dog from) but you could always work out in advance which roads you're heading for and have them in your sat nav.

The day we landed was my first time driving an automatic, but as long as you can get over the fact of not using your left foot then I think you'll find it easier than a manual car. I was given the advice to tuck my left foot behind my right ankle the first few times which stops you inadvertantly moving it - not sure how safe this is, but it worked for me!

Good luck with it all

Jo
lol excellent tips there - thanks! i suspect i will be driving with one foot tucked behind the other, sat on the 'wrong' side of the car and winding the window down everytime i forget its automatic and try and change gear
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ftdsunburst
Hi, We used www.petsaway.co.uk. Dave was very helpful. Our cat and hamster (in seperate boxes!) landed in calgary in Feb '10. Both flew from Manchester on our thomas cook flights. Both animal cargo areas went smoothly. Paid 580 pounds. Gained two well made boxes. Happly settled in Calgary.
Thanks for yet another thumbs up on petsaway. I contacted Dave from petsaway and have had several conversations with him regarding the transportation of 'fat boy' to Canada (had him weighed (the dog - not dave) - 38.5 kg - who ate all the pies!) - anyway, David was extremely nice man and plans are now underway and i feel so much more reassured that at least part of our trip is in hand! Thank you to everyone for your great advice and ideas - i now dont feel the need to breath into a paper bag the minute i think about how we are going to get the dog to canada!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 8:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Wow things have gone up. We used a company 2 1/2 years ago based at Manchester airport to transport a springer spaniel from Man to Toronto and onward to Halifax NS and that cost £975 including crate.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point

hi - maybe i should send hubby cargo and let hte dog have his seat

- just to clarify in case anyone else reads this - actually canadian affair/thomas cook DO fly pets from manchester - at all times of year according to the men in cargo (cant remember the telephone number - found it on here once)
Yes they do fly pets, but they will only take bookings from companies who specialise in flying pets, I know because we had the problem, we have landed in Toronto at the moment but returning to U.K. 18 April then returning for good 22 July with our Yorkshire terrier. Booked through Animal Airlines, cost 450.00 GBP, we have to take her to airport & collect her at Toronto, but on the same flight.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:54 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by peter-g
Yes they do fly pets, but they will only take bookings from companies who specialise in flying pets, I know because we had the problem, we have landed in Toronto at the moment but returning to U.K. 18 April then returning for good 22 July with our Yorkshire terrier. Booked through Animal Airlines, cost 450.00 GBP, we have to take her to airport & collect her at Toronto, but on the same flight.
I used Thomas Cook cargo and did the dogs myself - didnt use a company!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Yes you can call Thomas Cook Airlines cargo team on 0161 498 4731. You will need to find out your type of aircraft before you call them....CA should be able to tell you that.

They are cool and should be able to help you as it is Thomas Cook Airlines that CA mostly use!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

We moved last year from Chester UK to Kitchener-Waterloo, close to Cambridge. We were lucky in that the company paid for our dog's relocation. It may have been on the pricier side, but wanted to let you know that I dealt with a woman called Andrea of Best Boarding Kennels in Derry Rd, Missisauga, close by the airport. She organised everything including customs paperwork and Ladyhaye pick-up in the UK.
Ella flew out direct Man-Toronto with Thomas Cook June 17th. All good. And only a seven hour flight. Only Transat or TC fly direct from Manchester.
Ella was collected by Best Boarding Kennels from the airport and delivered to my hubby in Waterloo. She could have stayed in kennels there for a time if there was a need.

Just wanted to let you know the contact this end should you need it.

Best of luck with the move.

Lynsey

PS LOVE it here