Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice please, daughter going to Canada on a yrs working visa!

Advice please, daughter going to Canada on a yrs working visa!

Old Feb 1st 2014, 1:24 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please, daughter going to Canada on a yrs working visa!

Originally Posted by Barbara2014
In fact, you can walk across the bridge from Niagara Falls right into New York State. Not much there though, except to see the Falls from a different (and not such a good) angle. But the train runs from Niagara Falls to New York.
Yup I did the train TO to NY when I was a visiting teen .
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

alicemilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I also got a place in the IEC program like your daughter I'm also going after I've finished university this year. My plan is to try and secure casual retail/bar work to begin with and travel lots! I'm flying out in August and going to Halifax initially but possibly PEI or other NS locations if theres work there!
There are quite a few groups on Facebook which I've found really useful during the application and after. All are called along the lines of IEC 2013/2014, IEC work Canada etc. Theres also Canada IEC meet ups, a few meet ups have been organised in the UK before people fly out, its also full of people organising meet ups once they're in Canada. I'd suggest they join that group if they're on Facebook, I know others have found housemates/job openings on there. Its also really reassuring to know theres a big community out there if anything happens! Have you also looked at the website moving2canada, it has advice/general information on it, mainly for the IEC hotspots, especially Toronto and Vancouver.
I think my mam has the same feeling as yourself, but I'm pretty set on the Maritimes. The best thing to do is plenty of research on expat/immigration sites and like I said, I've found the Facebook groups to be really useful.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 10:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicemilly
Hello, I also got a place in the IEC program like your daughter I'm also going after I've finished university this year. My plan is to try and secure casual retail/bar work to begin with and travel lots! I'm flying out in August and going to Halifax initially but possibly PEI or other NS locations if theres work there!
There are quite a few groups on Facebook which I've found really useful during the application and after. All are called along the lines of IEC 2013/2014, IEC work Canada etc. Theres also Canada IEC meet ups, a few meet ups have been organised in the UK before people fly out, its also full of people organising meet ups once they're in Canada. I'd suggest they join that group if they're on Facebook, I know others have found housemates/job openings on there. Its also really reassuring to know theres a big community out there if anything happens! Have you also looked at the website moving2canada, it has advice/general information on it, mainly for the IEC hotspots, especially Toronto and Vancouver.
I think my mam has the same feeling as yourself, but I'm pretty set on the Maritimes. The best thing to do is plenty of research on expat/immigration sites and like I said, I've found the Facebook groups to be really useful.
If you are hoping to work serving liqueur, don't forget you will need to get a Provincial certification to do so. It's not difficult, nor expensive - you can do it online and have your certificate with you. Most will accept other Provincial certification too.

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you are hoping to work serving liqueur, don't forget you will need to get a Provincial certification to do so. It's not difficult, nor expensive - you can do it online and have your certificate with you. Most will accept other Provincial certification too.

I didn't even study for it when an employer made me do it, didn't serve booze but booze was sold on the premises, but I got a 100% on it. Its 100% common sense test.