Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:51 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
lon hooson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Evening,
My husband, myself and our 12 year old son are thinking about moving to Canada. We have been to Nova scotia and thoroughtly enjoyed our experience there. We are aware we need to explore Canada more and are planning to return this year.
I'm a mental health nurse currently training as a CBT psychotherapist. I also have an interest in eating disorders.
From what I've read I know nursing is a priority occupation. However I've also read that there are job freezes.
I would like to hear from mental health nurses living in canada or any one who is able to advise about job opportunities in nursing or psychotherapy.
Thanks for your time
A
lon hooson is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:52 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,935
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

A lot will depend on your training, mental health training is not accepted here in NS as far as I am aware and can tell on the NS college of RN website you need general. Think there are only a few provinces that accept RMN training so may have to do a search.

I am certainly seeing less and less jobs advertised for nurses in NS but a lot will depend on where you are looking at living.

I personally would recommend you get sorted with registration as a nurses before looking for work, as soon as you get eligibility to sit CRNE then you can look for a job and employers. Suggest a good read in wiki above on nursing in Canada
Silverdragon102 is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:26 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 120
bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Originally Posted by lon hooson
Evening,
My husband, myself and our 12 year old son are thinking about moving to Canada. We have been to Nova scotia and thoroughtly enjoyed our experience there. We are aware we need to explore Canada more and are planning to return this year.
I'm a mental health nurse currently training as a CBT psychotherapist. I also have an interest in eating disorders.
From what I've read I know nursing is a priority occupation. However I've also read that there are job freezes.
I would like to hear from mental health nurses living in canada or any one who is able to advise about job opportunities in nursing or psychotherapy.
Thanks for your time
A
I work as a mental health nurse in BC and Silverdragon is right that most provinces don't recognise RMN training ,I think its only BC and Alberta that do. If you are thinking about BC you should contact the CRPNBC which is the registering body, it took me 10 months to be eligable to sit the exam although I did it the hard way and applied once I got here and it took ages to get the info over from the UK. Due to cut backs and ward closures there have been less jobs available of late but they are still out there.
How much longer do you have to finish your psychotherapy training as that would be your other option, unfortunately I can't be of any help with that.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
bettyboo67 is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:52 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: The City by the Mall
Posts: 862
bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I work as a mental health nurse in BC and Silverdragon is right that most provinces don't recognise RMN training ,I think its only BC and Alberta that do. If you are thinking about BC you should contact the CRPNBC which is the registering body, it took me 10 months to be eligable to sit the exam although I did it the hard way and applied once I got here and it took ages to get the info over from the UK. Due to cut backs and ward closures there have been less jobs available of late but they are still out there.
How much longer do you have to finish your psychotherapy training as that would be your other option, unfortunately I can't be of any help with that.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
...plus Mana. and Sask. I think?
bsmith is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:04 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
san40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I work as a mental health nurse in BC and Silverdragon is right that most provinces don't recognise RMN training ,I think its only BC and Alberta that do. If you are thinking about BC you should contact the CRPNBC which is the registering body, it took me 10 months to be eligable to sit the exam although I did it the hard way and applied once I got here and it took ages to get the info over from the UK. Due to cut backs and ward closures there have been less jobs available of late but they are still out there.
How much longer do you have to finish your psychotherapy training as that would be your other option, unfortunately I can't be of any help with that.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Can you PM me please, I am a mental health nurse from the UK
san40 is offline  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:06 pm
  #6  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Originally Posted by san40
Can you PM me please, I am a mental health nurse from the UK
You must have made at least 3 posts to send or receive PM.

Might I suggest the following text....?

"2"

"3"
Novocastrian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.