Reload this Page >

Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:51 am
Just Joined

lon hooson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

Evening,
My husband, myself and our 12 year old son are thinking about moving to Canada. We have been to Nova scotia and thoroughtly enjoyed our experience there. We are aware we need to explore Canada more and are planning to return this year.
I'm a mental health nurse currently training as a CBT psychotherapist. I also have an interest in eating disorders.
From what I've read I know nursing is a priority occupation. However I've also read that there are job freezes.
I would like to hear from mental health nurses living in canada or any one who is able to advise about job opportunities in nursing or psychotherapy.
Thanks for your time
A
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on opportunities for mental health nurses/psychotherapists

A lot will depend on your training, mental health training is not accepted here in NS as far as I am aware and can tell on the NS college of RN website you need general. Think there are only a few provinces that accept RMN training so may have to do a search.

I am certainly seeing less and less jobs advertised for nurses in NS but a lot will depend on where you are looking at living.

I personally would recommend you get sorted with registration as a nurses before looking for work, as soon as you get eligibility to sit CRNE then you can look for a job and employers. Suggest a good read in wiki above on nursing in Canada
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lon hooson
Evening,
My husband, myself and our 12 year old son are thinking about moving to Canada. We have been to Nova scotia and thoroughtly enjoyed our experience there. We are aware we need to explore Canada more and are planning to return this year.
I'm a mental health nurse currently training as a CBT psychotherapist. I also have an interest in eating disorders.
From what I've read I know nursing is a priority occupation. However I've also read that there are job freezes.
I would like to hear from mental health nurses living in canada or any one who is able to advise about job opportunities in nursing or psychotherapy.
Thanks for your time
A
I work as a mental health nurse in BC and Silverdragon is right that most provinces don't recognise RMN training ,I think its only BC and Alberta that do. If you are thinking about BC you should contact the CRPNBC which is the registering body, it took me 10 months to be eligable to sit the exam although I did it the hard way and applied once I got here and it took ages to get the info over from the UK. Due to cut backs and ward closures there have been less jobs available of late but they are still out there.
How much longer do you have to finish your psychotherapy training as that would be your other option, unfortunately I can't be of any help with that.
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:52 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I work as a mental health nurse in BC and Silverdragon is right that most provinces don't recognise RMN training ,I think its only BC and Alberta that do. If you are thinking about BC you should contact the CRPNBC which is the registering body, it took me 10 months to be eligable to sit the exam although I did it the hard way and applied once I got here and it took ages to get the info over from the UK. Due to cut backs and ward closures there have been less jobs available of late but they are still out there.
How much longer do you have to finish your psychotherapy training as that would be your other option, unfortunately I can't be of any help with that.
...plus Mana. and Sask. I think?
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

san40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant futuresan40 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Can you PM me please, I am a mental health nurse from the UK
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by san40
Can you PM me please, I am a mental health nurse from the UK
You must have made at least 3 posts to send or receive PM.

Might I suggest the following text....?

"2"

"3"