Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed re job offer

Wikiposts

Advice needed re job offer

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:25 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed re job offer

ok cheers, I htink I will need to clarify this 2.5 hours thing. The company doesnt work 24 hours as far as I know but even if it does in the field, my job is office based so I will only be doing normal office hours.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

Two or three weeks annual leave seems to be pretty much the norm here, it may be worth checking out whether you get FHP days which are paid days off for sickness of you or a family member, I get five per year but the company doesn't care what you take them for and I am encouraged to take them as additional holiday.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:00 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
ok cheers, I htink I will need to clarify this 2.5 hours thing..
What is the normal weekly work load there then? Is it 40 hrs/wk, 37.5/wk? I think you should still be entitled to paid stats even if your job isn't classified as full time.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:18 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What is the normal weekly work load there then? Is it 40 hrs/wk, 37.5/wk? I think you should still be entitled to paid stats even if your job isn't classified as full time.
As far as I remember they said 40 hours per week plus the 2.5 hours extra. But I will ask the question specifically next time we chat. This thread has given me some really good pointers so I think the next call will be quite long when they phone me
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:35 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Edo
I will have to work 2.5 hours extra every week on top of the basic 40 hours to 'earn' the statutory days off.
Originally Posted by ann m
I've never heard of that and it sounds wrong..........Why would you need to work extra to earn Xmas day off?
I have received a formal job offer and the above seems to be the case. So they are asking for a total of 42.5 hours per week. Precisely from 7:30 am to 5 pm (although they also operate flex-time). Thats a lot, isnt it? How do I negotiate this to bring the working hours down and how likely will a giant multinational company make an exception to their rules on this.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:46 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I have received a formal job offer and the above seems to be the case. So they are asking for a total of 42.5 hours per week. Precisely from 7:30 am to 5 pm (although they also operate flex-time). Thats a lot, isnt it? How do I negotiate this to bring the working hours down and how likely will a giant multinational company make an exception to their rules on this.
That would include lunch time right? Seems like a reasonable deal to me.
Is this contract work or full-time permanent work? Contract work you often don't get paid for public holidays, but you still have to take the days off.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Advice needed re job offer

FWIW, in your position I'd grab the job with both hands. Yes, it's a few hrs a week more than the norm in a UK contract and yes, it's less leave - but it gets you over there and with the time limit before you lose PR rapidly approaching, I'd just take it and get out there. Particularly if they're offering to pay relocation, which is great.

You can then give it 6 months or a year to see if the job will work for you and if you can deal with the hrs/leave, but if not then at least you're there, maintaining your PR, plus you'd have some all important 'Canadian experience' on your resume.

JMO though, good luck.
Old Apr 11th 2013, 1:10 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
FWIW, in your position I'd grab the job with both hands. Yes, it's a few hrs a week more than the norm in a UK contract and yes, it's less leave - but it gets you over there and with the time limit before you lose PR rapidly approaching, I'd just take it and get out there. Particularly if they're offering to pay relocation, which is great.

You can then give it 6 months or a year to see if the job will work for you and if you can deal with the hrs/leave, but if not then at least you're there, maintaining your PR, plus you'd have some all important 'Canadian experience' on your resume.

JMO though, good luck.
Thanks a lot Christmas. Actually theres a 2 years bond associated with the relocation package. Which means it will have to be paid back if I decide to leave the company . Also might not look too good on my CV if I work with an employer only for a few months and then move on. But I appreciate your comments. I should feel really lucky that I have a job offer before I even stepped into Canada.