Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed please, how easy is it to set up a new business?

Advice needed please, how easy is it to set up a new business?

Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tribleedinumph is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice needed please, how easy is it to set up a new business?

Hello all, My partner has a job offer in Burlington Ontario, so we are looking to emigrate some time this year...still at very beginning of process at the moment (and still possibly deciding!). The million dollar question of, can we live on the salary offer etc...is pressing. We have two children aged 10 and 5 so feel this is the right time to do this for them.

I realise the job market in Canada can be a little difficult to get into as a immigrant. I am toying with a couple of idea's for self employment and wondered if anyone could give me any advice on how hard this would be? One I would need a premises, the other would be working from home with needing outlets to sell from?
Thanks in advance

Yvette.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed please, how easy is it to set up a new business?

Hi Yvette, and welcome to BE.

What visa would you be on, is it definitely one that you can work on?

Best of luck with the move.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, feel a bit silly now!! I am not sure as we are right at the beginning of the process so really don't know. What are the different visa's? I would be moving out there as a sponsored, as I assume my other half is the sponsor having the job offer?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tribleedinumph
Hi there, feel a bit silly now!! I am not sure as we are right at the beginning of the process so really don't know. What are the different visa's? I would be moving out there as a sponsored, as I assume my other half is the sponsor having the job offer?
In which case, I'd check that first. I'm guessing that your husband would be going over on a Temp Work Permit, and it's not automatic that you'd be able to work. What is the job? Put simply, if it's classed as a 'skilled' job (or to put it less simply, if it's Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix), you'd be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit. But if it's not classed as 'skilled', then you wouldn't be able to work without getting a working visa in your own right, or until you got Permanent Residency.

Sorry to confuse you straight away, but if you are planning on working, I'd check that out asap just so you know if the move is viable for you or not.

Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In which case, I'd check that first. I'm guessing that your husband would be going over on a Temp Work Permit, and it's not automatic that you'd be able to work. What is the job? Put simply, if it's classed as a 'skilled' job (or to put it less simply, if it's Skill Level A, O or B on the NOC Matrix), you'd be eligible for a Spousal Open Work Permit. But if it's not classed as 'skilled', then you wouldn't be able to work without getting a working visa in your own right, or until you got Permanent Residency.

Sorry to confuse you straight away, but if you are planning on working, I'd check that out asap just so you know if the move is viable for you or not.

Yes I think the visa forms he has been requested to complete are classed as 'temporay worker application', the job itself is skilled and and is at senior level, have not heard of this NOC matrix. So I will probably qualify for the Spousal open work permit.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I think the visa forms he has been requested to complete are classed as 'temporay worker application', the job itself is skilled and and is at senior level, have not heard of this NOC matrix. So I will probably qualify for the Spousal open work permit.
Sounds like you will qualify for it then, it will be for the same duration as his TWP (i.e. if he gets a year's work permit, you'd get the same but an open one, so yours won't be tied to any employer like his). Best thing to do to double check is just find out his NOC code, which will have been on the LMO application. Do you have a positive LMO yet? I assume so if he's been asked to complete the TWP forms, so that should tell you the NOC code for the job so you can be sure it's 'skilled'.

Hopefully others will be along with more practical starting up your own business type advice soon too.

Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like you will qualify for it then, it will be for the same duration as his TWP (i.e. if he gets a year's work permit, you'd get the same but an open one, so yours won't be tied to any employer like his). Best thing to do to double check is just find out his NOC code, which will have been on the LMO application. Do you have a positive LMO yet? I assume so if he's been asked to complete the TWP forms, so that should tell you the NOC code for the job so you can be sure it's 'skilled'.

Hopefully others will be along with more practical starting up your own business type advice soon too.

All we have been sent so far is the TWP and he has been asked to complete a national basic disclosure form. We are still waiting for the formal offer, but, I am assuming they have to get his NATO clearance before they will do this (the job has to have Canadian security clearance) which they are sorting at the mo'. So all being well this process should all be done and dusted by the mid summer...I am hoping
Thanks for you help as I was unclear on Sooo many levels
Old Feb 16th 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It is very easy to start up a business but it is more difficult to obtain business loans than you are probably used to in the UK. Credit cards rates are very high here and it seems to be that banks would rather extend credit to individuals on their cards that lend to businesses.

When you are here, it may be easier to obtian a line of credit against your house and use that to fund the new enterprise than hope to obtain a business loan.

My advice would be to ensure that your initial overheads are kept as low as possible. If you wish to, you can then increase them as your receipts increase.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked about this and inquired a while ago, about having your own business.

It turned out that it wasn't classed as employment, and didn't require a work permit.

You still need to pay taxes and adhere to any local zoning rules etc, but the point is you are not taking a job from a Canadian, and indeed may be offering one to a Canadian.

That's what I will be doing when we move to Ontario, and my partner starts working in Burlington.... hey, wait a minute...... are you... ME?

Last edited by Dave n Ailsa; Feb 16th 2012 at 3:16 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am toying with a couple of idea's for self employment and wondered if anyone could give me any advice on how hard this would be? One I would need a premises, the other would be working from home with needing outlets to sell from?
Thanks in advance

Yvette.
It is not possible to give any meaningful advice unless you tell us what sort of businesses you are thinking of.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It is very easy to start up a business but it is more difficult to obtain business loans than you are probably used to in the UK. Credit cards rates are very high here and it seems to be that banks would rather extend credit to individuals on their cards that lend to businesses.

When you are here, it may be easier to obtian a line of credit against your house and use that to fund the new enterprise than hope to obtain a business loan.

My advice would be to ensure that your initial overheads are kept as low as possible. If you wish to, you can then increase them as your receipts increase.
Thanks, thats really helpful, the type of business I am looking into would have minimul overheads (sale or return) and prehaps something I could initially start from my home. I am assuming they have a similar 'business rate tax' as we do in the UK?
Have you set up your own and if so is it going ok?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I asked about this and inquired a while ago, about having your own business.

It turned out that it wasn't classed as employment, and didn't require a work permit.

You still need to pay taxes and adhere to any local zoning rules etc, but the point is you are not taking a job from a Canadian, and indeed may be offering one to a Canadian.

That's what I will be doing when we move to Ontario, and my partner starts working in Burlington.... hey, wait a minute...... are you... ME?
When are you re-locating....? let me know how you get on, lol!!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is not possible to give any meaningful advice unless you tell us what sort of businesses you are thinking of.
Fashion exchange for women, but I don't know how that will go down with Canadians. I will obviously need to do my homework when I arrive. While we were in Ontario I could not see any kind of second hand retail, but, we were not there for long.!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Fashion exchange for women, but I don't know how that will go down with Canadians. I will obviously need to do my homework when I arrive. While we were in Ontario I could not see any kind of second hand retail, but, we were not there for long.!
The fact that you've got fashion and Canadians in the same sentence may mean you need to research a bit more.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

The fact that you've got fashion and Canadians in the same sentence may mean you need to research a bit more.
Ah yes, but there is also the word 'exchange' so by that means what they already have in their wardrobes that they no longer wear

Love it tho!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.