Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed - Kids Are Saying They Don't Want To Move

Advice Needed - Kids Are Saying They Don't Want To Move

Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed - Kids Are Saying They Don't Want To Move

Originally Posted by sparkling_gal
Also, the scenery is great and reminds her of the places in the "Twilight" films.
Should have chosen Vancouver where lots of it was filmed
Old Oct 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

She wanted to go to Vancouver and it does look lovely. But I've promised her we can visit. She also wants to visit Forks and Port Angeles in Washington and some place in Arizona from the films too.

I considered BC but I'm keen to benefit from Calgary's low taxes for small business, after having to cough up 40% in the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oink
Personally I don't understand why people subject their teenage children to the trauma of emigrating to a foreign country, especially one as far away as North America. If they want adventure they should join a pottery class or the Rambling Association instead of putting their children through such emotional turmoil. It just seems a bit self-centered to me.
That's a daft thing to say. My children are in/approaching their teenage years. We've been talking about emigrating since they were babies. There is never an ideal time to emigrate for your children. As babies/toddlers/primary age I felt it a bit selfish of me to take them away from everything and everyone they knew and would forget. As teenagers they're involved in the decision making and discussions, which personally I find easier. And sometimes it's not until they get to that age that you realise the kind of life they are going to have is not what you want for them. I'm prepared to uproot my life for the sake of my children to have a better life. What's self-centred about that?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice everyone. They have quickly changed their minds back and both keen to go again. We were leaning towards Toronto but we've decided on Calgary.

The eldest loves the idea as it has the biggest skatepark in the world. And the youngest likes that it is in driving distance to the biggest mall in the world. Also, the scenery is great and reminds her of the places in the "Twilight" films.
Just make sure she doesn't visit Gateshead any time. Huge mall, huge skatepark, Twilight Zone: she'd fall in love.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timballs
That's a daft thing to say. My children are in/approaching their teenage years. We've been talking about emigrating since they were babies. There is never an ideal time to emigrate for your children. As babies/toddlers/primary age I felt it a bit selfish of me to take them away from everything and everyone they knew and would forget. As teenagers they're involved in the decision making and discussions, which personally I find easier. And sometimes it's not until they get to that age that you realise the kind of life they are going to have is not what you want for them. I'm prepared to uproot my life for the sake of my children to have a better life. What's self-centred about that?
I thought that was the whole point of Oink's points?
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

timballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nicetimballs is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I thought that was the whole point of Oink's points?
I didn't pick up on any sarcasm in Oink's post. Don't think the OP did either.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by timballs
I didn't pick up on any sarcasm in Oink's post. Don't think the OP did either.
My initial response to those who didn't see the humour and sarcasm in Oinks post was, so where is this fantastic British humour that Canadians just don't get.

Apparently a lot of Brits aren't getting it either.

I thought his post was dripping with sarcasm.
Old Oct 31st 2009, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Apologies then if that's what was meant. Maybe hit my raw nerve by mistake!
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:01 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
My initial response to those who didn't see the humour and sarcasm in Oinks post was, so where is this fantastic British humour that Canadians just don't get.

Apparently a lot of Brits aren't getting it either.

I thought his post was dripping with sarcasm.
Really? I thought he meant it.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:20 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Really? I thought he meant it.
I did mean it.

I doubt teenage children are really in any position to make major family decisions such as emigrating to foreign country. I would have thought it easier for little children to adapt, but older children have developed more relationships, have more invested in their culture and surroundings and thus would have a harder time assimilating.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:24 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Not self-centred at all. One of the main reasons we're emigrating is for the children to have a better future than they'd be likely to have in the area we live now.
What's wrong with the area you live now? What are the mechanics of a 'better future' in Canada look like? I'd have thought easier to change what you don't like about your life but in the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:57 am

I did mean it.

I doubt teenage children are really in any position to make major family decisions such as emigrating to foreign country. I would have thought it easier for little children to adapt, but older children have developed more relationships, have more invested in their culture and surroundings and thus would have a harder time assimilating.
From personal experience albeit 45 years ago I had no problems moving to Canada at 16.

I certainly didn't feel I had anything invested in ant sort of relationships or anything cultural and didn't have any difficulty fitting in once here.

Seriously I think the average teenager has more invested in themselves rather than any sort of culture or relationship.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 1st 2009 at 1:00 am.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:01 am

From personal experience albeit 45 years ago I had no problems moving to Canada at 16.

I certainly didn't feel I had anything invested in ant sort of relationships or anything cultural and didn't have any difficulty fitting in once here.

Seriously I think the average teenager has more invested in themselves rather than any sort of culture or relationship.
And yet 45 years later you are posting on a British Expat forum.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:31 am

And yet 45 years later you are posting on a British Expat forum.
Someone has to try to keep you ingrates in line.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 1:37 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone has to try to keep you ingrates in line.
And educate us in iced hockey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.