Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Old May 12th 2007, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Originally Posted by chits
thanks yoong for the link.Does applying through these job sites work?
Hi Chits,
That is my favourite jobsite, I knew of a few people that had
successfully found jobs from the job bank. It is current and do
check every week for updates Canada wide.

My cousin from Singapore emigrated here 3 years ago and she is
living in Edmonton. Small community of Singaporeans and Malaysians
there and housing is more affordable than Calgary. Just a thought.
Yoong
Old May 12th 2007, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about

Hi Chits

just like what Yoong said, yes it really works, I found my two employer in jobbank. Currently, I'm waiting for my LMO.

Erick
Old May 13th 2007, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Generally speaking, there is a demand for chemical engineers in Calgary. It depends on your husband's previous experience, and how that fits with the local oil industry. But, on the whole, there is a lot of work for chemical engineers. Not all of it is directly related to the oil industry either. Some chemical engineers do environmental work (ground water quality, etc., etc.).

Your husband should not overlook Edmonton, another city of about one million people, which is located three hours' drive north of Calgary. There are oil refining and chemical plants just outside of Edmonton.

It also would help you to read the Canada section of the BE Wiki and to use the forum's search function to find answers to your questions.

I gather your husband will be coming to Canada on a visitor's visa. If that is the case, I suggest that he pass himself off to immigration officials as a tourist. One is not supposed to engage in job hunting activities if one enters Canada on a visitor's visa. They really can't do anything to stop one from job hunting once one is here. However, one does not need to announce one's plans to immigration officials at one's port of entry.
Judy,
This is Chits' husband writing.
Tks for the specific advice abt coming in with a Tourist visa. I am planning to apply for a visa tomorrow to the High comm here.
But just in case I had wanted to do this differently, could I have applied for the proper type of visa where I am entitled to job-hunt? Does that pre-suppose that I already have a work permit? What type of visa would I have had to apply if I already had a work-permit?
Also, any idea how long it takes for getting a work permit?
Old May 13th 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Chits

Yeah you can be successful in getting an interview through these sites and submitting resume as part of the application - but again it depends whether you have the skills for that job.

If you are thinking about doing this then please make sure that you put the dates your OH is in Canada so that the company know that they could meet him face to face if they wanted to. Others have beenn successful with video calling interviews or just telephone interviews too.

Think all in all it's just the luck of the draw.

Gaynor
x
Hi,
This is Chits' husband. I have worked 12 years with an MNC ExxonMobil, which is the largest company in thw world. All of the 12 years have been in Singapore.
But what I understand is that Canadian employers tend to completely discount /ignore all the experience you might have accumulated outside of Canada, as its only Canadian work experience which seems to matter. Is there a work-around to convince them that work exp with MNC's like ExxonMobil does count for Oil related jobs in Alberta?

BTW, I am 100+% confident that I could do much more than what the jobs require. The issue seems to be one of breaking the mindset of the recruiting/HR folks.
Any comments on what works and what doesn't would help.