Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Old May 11th 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Hello people,my hubby is going on a social visit pass to calgary this month(May) and will be there for abt 3 weeks trying jobs.He is a chemical engineer by profession.Any idea abt the job scene there? How easy or tough is it to get a job in Calgary now.Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.My thanks in advance.We are indians,living in singapore.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed abt jobs in Calgary

Originally Posted by chits
Hello people,my hubby is going on a social visit pass to calgary this month(May) and will be there for abt 3 weeks trying jobs.He is a chemical engineer by profession.Any idea abt the job scene there? How easy or tough is it to get a job in Calgary now.Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.My thanks in advance.We are indians,living in singapore.
With the right skills and with the ability to work (PR visa or work permit) - it is very easy - without the rights skills or ability to work - it is almost impossible - with all the variations in between. In essence, the same as it is anywhere in the world

It is possible to persuade employers to jump through the hoops required to obtain a work permit but they are the exception rather than the norm. What has amazed me since being here is the fact that everyone is complaining about how difficult it is to obtain staff, but how few are prepared to do anything about it (by obtaining LMOs etc)
Old May 11th 2007, 1:35 am
Happy as a pig in treacle

claire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud ofclaire bob and matt has much to be proud of

Yeah, I agree with Almost .....the jobs are there. But as has been said a million times before the Canadian hiring process is.....slack.

C
Old May 11th 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

chits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the roughchits is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the replies.hmm,so jobs are there but WP needs to be processed.Hope the employers do the needful fast
Old May 11th 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link on the job bank.
http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_e...ent&Student=No
Good luck,
Yoong
Old May 11th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

thanks yoong for the link.Does applying through these job sites work?
Old May 11th 2007, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chits

Yeah you can be successful in getting an interview through these sites and submitting resume as part of the application - but again it depends whether you have the skills for that job.

If you are thinking about doing this then please make sure that you put the dates your OH is in Canada so that the company know that they could meet him face to face if they wanted to. Others have beenn successful with video calling interviews or just telephone interviews too.

Think all in all it's just the luck of the draw.

Gaynor
x
Old May 11th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

I would also look on workopolis and find out the major employers of chem engineers- then apply direct- not through agencies

Gryphea
Old May 11th 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

thanks burton and gryphea.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

scottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant futurescottandsara has a brilliant future

I have applied for two jobs via jobbank and managed to get telephone interviews for both of them. I have been offered one job, and waiting to here from the other.

I think it's a good idea to submit a good reference with your application if possible - I submitted a two page personal/employment reference from my previous employer which certainly didn't hurt my chances!

Scott
Old May 11th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

thanks scott for the reply.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Generally speaking, there is a demand for chemical engineers in Calgary. It depends on your husband's previous experience, and how that fits with the local oil industry. But, on the whole, there is a lot of work for chemical engineers. Not all of it is directly related to the oil industry either. Some chemical engineers do environmental work (ground water quality, etc., etc.).

Your husband should not overlook Edmonton, another city of about one million people, which is located three hours' drive north of Calgary. There are oil refining and chemical plants just outside of Edmonton.

It also would help you to read the Canada section of the BE Wiki and to use the forum's search function to find answers to your questions.

I gather your husband will be coming to Canada on a visitor's visa. If that is the case, I suggest that he pass himself off to immigration officials as a tourist. One is not supposed to engage in job hunting activities if one enters Canada on a visitor's visa. They really can't do anything to stop one from job hunting once one is here. However, one does not need to announce one's plans to immigration officials at one's port of entry.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; May 11th 2007 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old May 11th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

high.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nicehigh.rise is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
With the right skills and with the ability to work (PR visa or work permit) - it is very easy - without the rights skills or ability to work - it is almost impossible - with all the variations in between. In essence, the same as it is anywhere in the world

It is possible to persuade employers to jump through the hoops required to obtain a work permit but they are the exception rather than the norm. What has amazed me since being here is the fact that everyone is complaining about how difficult it is to obtain staff, but how few are prepared to do anything about it (by obtaining LMOs etc)
just out of curiosity, did you land a job in the end? Obviously, feel free not to answer, but I do recollect you had problems at the start finding employment...hope its all worked out for the best.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Judy.Yr advice is surely useful.Yes,I did go through yr wiki site.It is full of info.Thanks once again for being always helpful.
Old May 12th 2007, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by high.rise
just out of curiosity, did you land a job in the end? Obviously, feel free not to answer, but I do recollect you had problems at the start finding employment...hope its all worked out for the best.
Yeah I did, about 2 weeks after I started looking.

I am working for a law firm over here and, if I decide to take my exams, they will offer me Articles so I can requalify - whether I will want to or not is another thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.