Advice needed

Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Kaydee123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

What is the possibility of moving from the uk with a disabled child?? Is this a straight no??

i am just about to start nursing at uni in September, so will qualify in 3 years.

im just looking at options as I’m a single parent with children (4,6,13,14)
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

Originally Posted by Kaydee123
What is the possibility of moving from the uk with a disabled child?? Is this a straight no??

i am just about to start nursing at uni in September, so will qualify in 3 years.

im just looking at options as I’m a single parent with children (4,6,13,14)
It depends on the disability, an attempt is made to calculate the medical costs associated with the disability and, if the cost exceeds a threshold then the answer is no.

I don't know what chance a single parent of four children would have without considering the disability. Not a great one, I fear.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There is by no means the help for a disabled child here as there is in the UK. Plus, you do not get the free medications, etc.

Much treatment, no matter the disability, has to be sourced and paid for by the parent.

It might help if you said how old the child was and give an idea of the disability, how severe.

You also have to check whether you will have to do any more training in Canada in addition to the 3 years training you get in the UK ................... bearing in mind that University degrees in Canada are usually 4 years.

It also is a fact of life that many nurses have to start off by being on call, not full time ........ nursing is highly unionised over here, and seniority counts for a lot.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. It will depend on the disability and any treatment/medical care needed for it. Can you give more info?
Old Jun 25th 2019, 3:43 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaydee123

Sorry to burst a bubble but after graduating you will require at least 12 months work experience in your home country as an RN which is a requirement of the international nurses courses that you would need to take to work in Canada, even after the application process to be considered and if they approve you to proceed with the course. The application process would take at least a year, the course will likely be another year, so in total you are looking at 6 yrs (uni 3yrs, 1yr work exp, 1yr app, 1yr course) at least before being able to work as a nurse in Canada, and thats if everything goes perfectly smoothly, good references, etc etc. In 6 years your life may be different yet so suggest not worrying about it until nearer the time TBH.