Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Wikiposts

Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Chris Sully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Hi All
Been reading through this forum for what feels like the last year of my life trying to do as much research as I can, I have been offered a job in Regina as a HGV Mechanic and just needed some general issue's clearing up

1. Can you only get a Mortgage when you get PR status

2. For People that have relocated to Regina how long did it take to find a rental in the area and also what are the area's to avoid

3. How have people gone on with getting finance ( for example for a car ) with no previous Canadian credit history

4. Most importantly is there any where that shows Celtic games e-mailed the Irish bar and no response and cant seem to find any info on any CSC

As you can imagine this is a big step in my life only being 23 and I am not wearing my rose-tinted goggle's I know this wont my an easy move but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Chris
Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice ( Job Offer In Regina )

Congratulations on the job and welcome to the forum!

I will let others who have more knowledge of the area answer your questions, but you might want to look at the Scotia Bank for newcomers page and the CMHC website for ideas about mortgages, bank accounts, car loans and the like.

Old Apr 14th 2013, 1:55 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chris Sully
Hi All
Been reading through this forum for what feels like the last year of my life trying to do as much research as I can, I have been offered a job in Regina as a HGV Mechanic and just needed some general issue's clearing up

1. Can you only get a Mortgage when you get PR status

2. For People that have relocated to Regina how long did it take to find a rental in the area and also what are the area's to avoid

3. How have people gone on with getting finance ( for example for a car ) with no previous Canadian credit history

4. Most importantly is there any where that shows Celtic games e-mailed the Irish bar and no response and cant seem to find any info on any CSC

As you can imagine this is a big step in my life only being 23 and I am not wearing my rose-tinted goggle's I know this wont my an easy move but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Chris
Hi Chris, congrats on the job!

The only experience I can tell you about is with the car.
We have been here 7 months and have been trying to operate our credit cards by spending and paying off etc to build up credit. Also have a mobile contract each and bank accounts.

Only now have we had a credit check done, with a view to getting a vehicle, poss new or a little used. We have apparently come back as credit-worthy but with a low-ish limit (about 6k we were told). However the car salesperson is a friend of a friend and is making out that they have managed to swing it for us to get 20k for the vehicle. Whether this is true or not I don't know just yet. But what I do know is we do have a promise of vehicle finance approved for the next few weeks while we decide what to do.

I offered copies of our good UK credit records if needs be. Much of it came down to the salesperson going off and talking in depth to the finance manager and the suggestion was welcomed, but not required eventually.

Good luck with everything,
Katie
Old Apr 14th 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Chris . Forget Celtic and become a die hard fan of the other green team , if you stay long enough it WILL happen .
Rentals are hard to find , mainly due to the influx of immigrants but talk to your employers , look on Kijiji Regina , or try the Trucker forum on here as there must be guys wanting to share .
Credit for cars and other purchases wont happen so bring some cash , as to places to avoid there are a few but PM me and we can talk .
Who are you working for ?
Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the quick reply's

How have people managed then without transportation while they try and build up there credit rating ?

I know it sounds stupid but I don't think I could last without watching the Celtic games.

How long did the process take of applying for a bank account with not being a Citizen

Chris
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:30 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

How have people managed then without transportation while they try and build up there credit rating ?

I know it sounds stupid but I don't think I could last without watching the Celtic games.

How long did the process take of applying for a bank account with not being a Citizen

Chris
I came over on a TWP and was able to set up bank accounts etc and obtain a lease for a vehicle for the length of my TWP, practically from day one.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

One has to look at it from a different perspective ie the Canadian side of things in particular a car dealer.
If you owned a dealership and somebody came in looking at financing a vehicle be it on a 1, 2 or 3 year work permit how comfortable would you feel knowing that this person COULD skip out on payments and sell the vehicle and return to their country?
Im not saying this happens on a regular basis but some might think like that.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 1:48 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Chris
Some just buy a cheaper car and don't finance.

If watching TV is that important maybe you'll find it hard to settle in.

30 minutes to open an account when in Vancouver as a visitor.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

spacemonkey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Well done Chris . Forget Celtic and become a die hard fan of the other green team , if you stay long enough it WILL happen .
Rentals are hard to find , mainly due to the influx of immigrants but talk to your employers , look on Kijiji Regina , or try the Trucker forum on here as there must be guys wanting to share .
Credit for cars and other purchases wont happen so bring some cash , as to places to avoid there are a few but PM me and we can talk .
Who are you working for ?
Can he not get credit for an unclean BMW?
Old Apr 15th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Chris
If you use HSBC you'll get a debit card within 30 minutes , if kissball is that important again try O'Hanlons
Old Apr 15th 2013, 8:21 am
Just Joined

So I know there'll be no problems with opening a bank account so that's simple. And I ll just have to play the car situation by here I could just buy a second hand car but was a bit weary as read they don't have M.O.Ts but maybe a run around will do till I can build a credit rating.
Lastly TV is not important as I watch it for 90 mins a week to watch my beloved team but am sure I won't be the only one with the amount of British there.
Thanks again everyone for your help
Chris
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

get fast internet (if its available in Regina), i watch/listen to a lot of football on the internet. Off The Ball is classic listening on a Saturday morning at work

cars are a lot more expensive too...no such thing as a $500 runabout. You're right about no MOT's, but i'm sure that cars over 10 years old need to be safety inspected for insurance purposes anyway.

The way you buy the car is really up to you and what you wanna spend...i know a lot of people who leased cars when they got here, but that didn't appeal to me so i bought mine cash outright

Also, there's a guy at work who has a mortgage on his TWP...no idea about what bank he went to or anything!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Cheers Haggis

Your right about the internet but was hoping to find a local place to watch it on the box with like minded Bhoys but the computer may have to do

Cheers Chris
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

remember the games will be on at like 8am (and earlier) so it won't be like going down the boozer to watch on Sky Sports! Haven't noticed any places round here (Calgary) showing SPL games...even the local "Scottish" bar wasn't showing the Scotland international WC2014 Qualifying fixtures, although they had every 6-Nations rugby game live

Saskatchewan is mad for the Roughriders CFL team, since they are the only major league sports team in the province...you'll find yourself supporting them soon enough!
Old Apr 15th 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Riderpride If you subscribe to Bell TV (don't) you can get what used to be Setanta and is now SNWT , but First Row Sports on tinternet is your best bet , and it's free . Failing all , Skype your mates back home and set up a webcam .
Waste of 90 minutes if you ask me , but " I'll never walk alone "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.