Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:24 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
PortchesterRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Hello again,
Can anybody help in relation to searching for a job in Social Work for my wife Debra who will be the main visa application, hopefully through the skilled worker scheme.
She is working for Children Services at the moment.

Many Thanks

John & Debra
PortchesterRoyal is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Presumably you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Not sure if Social Workers need to sit any equivalency exams or be licensed, so that's another thing to check out.

You say your wife will be the main applicant, so have you applied for PR yet or not? Obviously once she's got PR she'll be much more employable as she can start work straight away rather than an employer having to go through any paperwork/hassle to hire her. So if you haven't yet applied it may be a bit early to be job hunting as PR will take a year or so to obtain.

Good luck.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
PortchesterRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presumably you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Not sure if Social Workers need to sit any equivalency exams or be licensed, so that's another thing to check out.

You say your wife will be the main applicant, so have you applied for PR yet or not? Obviously once she's got PR she'll be much more employable as she can start work straight away rather than an employer having to go through any paperwork/hassle to hire her. So if you haven't yet applied it may be a bit early to be job hunting as PR will take a year or so to obtain.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for the advice in relation to getting a job. I have looked at the link, very useful. Hopefully somebody on the forum may read this and are a Social Worker in Canada or going there soon and my offer some personal advice. Thanks again
John
PortchesterRoyal is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:48 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Thanks very much for the advice in relation to getting a job. I have looked at the link, very useful. Hopefully somebody on the forum may read this and are a Social Worker in Canada or going there soon and my offer some personal advice. Thanks again
John
Have you done a search for threads about Social Workers in Canada? I know there have been a few in the past, so they may have some useful info in.

It may also be helpful if you could clarify your visa situation i.e. when you expect to have PR, as it could make a difference to your wife's job prospects and will help others advise you better.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:54 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
PortchesterRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you done a search for threads about Social Workers in Canada? I know there have been a few in the past, so they may have some useful info in.

It may also be helpful if you could clarify your visa situation i.e. when you expect to have PR, as it could make a difference to your wife's job prospects and will help others advise you better.

Good luck.
In relation to the visa situation, Debra would need a job off as she does not have enough points with out one . However a couple of members on here have given me some very good advice in relation to other ways of getting a job in Canada eg Provincial Nominee program. So I will have a look at that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick look promising

Thanks again

John
PortchesterRoyal is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:56 pm
  #6  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
In relation to the visa situation, Debra would need a job off as she does not have enough points with out one .
Oh what a shame. Does she have a degree? Think that's a requirement to work as a Social Worker in Canada isn't it? Could be wrong, but that's my vague recollection from previous threads.

No easier way of her bumping up her points I take it i.e. French language?

for you.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:57 pm
  #7  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,129
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Does your wife have a degree in social work? My sister in law works in social work in Ottawa where a degree and a Masters are considered entry level requirements.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:04 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
PortchesterRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Does your wife have a degree in social work? My sister in law works in social work in Ottawa where a degree and a Masters are considered entry level requirements.
Yes Debra does have a First Class Honours Degree in Social Work. I am afraid to say we both do not speak French

John
PortchesterRoyal is offline  
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:07 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Yes Debra does have a First Class Honours Degree in Social Work. I am afraid to say we both do not speak French

John
How many points short is she? Could she maybe do an intensive French course? Any long lost Canadian relatives you've forgotten about perchance?!
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:19 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
PortchesterRoyal's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 81
PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Thanks for everyone,s reply/advice.
I will let you know how the job hunting goes

John
PortchesterRoyal is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.