Reload this Page >

Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

PortchesterRoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Hello again,
Can anybody help in relation to searching for a job in Social Work for my wife Debra who will be the main visa application, hopefully through the skilled worker scheme.
She is working for Children Services at the moment.

Many Thanks

John & Debra
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for getting a job in Social Work

Presumably you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Not sure if Social Workers need to sit any equivalency exams or be licensed, so that's another thing to check out.

You say your wife will be the main applicant, so have you applied for PR yet or not? Obviously once she's got PR she'll be much more employable as she can start work straight away rather than an employer having to go through any paperwork/hassle to hire her. So if you haven't yet applied it may be a bit early to be job hunting as PR will take a year or so to obtain.

Good luck.

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presumably you've read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Not sure if Social Workers need to sit any equivalency exams or be licensed, so that's another thing to check out.

You say your wife will be the main applicant, so have you applied for PR yet or not? Obviously once she's got PR she'll be much more employable as she can start work straight away rather than an employer having to go through any paperwork/hassle to hire her. So if you haven't yet applied it may be a bit early to be job hunting as PR will take a year or so to obtain.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for the advice in relation to getting a job. I have looked at the link, very useful. Hopefully somebody on the forum may read this and are a Social Worker in Canada or going there soon and my offer some personal advice. Thanks again
John
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PortchesterRoyal
Thanks very much for the advice in relation to getting a job. I have looked at the link, very useful. Hopefully somebody on the forum may read this and are a Social Worker in Canada or going there soon and my offer some personal advice. Thanks again
John
Have you done a search for threads about Social Workers in Canada? I know there have been a few in the past, so they may have some useful info in.

It may also be helpful if you could clarify your visa situation i.e. when you expect to have PR, as it could make a difference to your wife's job prospects and will help others advise you better.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you done a search for threads about Social Workers in Canada? I know there have been a few in the past, so they may have some useful info in.

It may also be helpful if you could clarify your visa situation i.e. when you expect to have PR, as it could make a difference to your wife's job prospects and will help others advise you better.

Good luck.
In relation to the visa situation, Debra would need a job off as she does not have enough points with out one . However a couple of members on here have given me some very good advice in relation to other ways of getting a job in Canada eg Provincial Nominee program. So I will have a look at that Nova Scotia and New Brunswick look promising

Thanks again

John
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In relation to the visa situation, Debra would need a job off as she does not have enough points with out one .
Oh what a shame. Does she have a degree? Think that's a requirement to work as a Social Worker in Canada isn't it? Could be wrong, but that's my vague recollection from previous threads.

No easier way of her bumping up her points I take it i.e. French language?

for you.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 9:57 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Does your wife have a degree in social work? My sister in law works in social work in Ottawa where a degree and a Masters are considered entry level requirements.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Does your wife have a degree in social work? My sister in law works in social work in Ottawa where a degree and a Masters are considered entry level requirements.
Yes Debra does have a First Class Honours Degree in Social Work. I am afraid to say we both do not speak French

John
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes Debra does have a First Class Honours Degree in Social Work. I am afraid to say we both do not speak French

John
How many points short is she? Could she maybe do an intensive French course? Any long lost Canadian relatives you've forgotten about perchance?!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone,s reply/advice.
I will let you know how the job hunting goes

John