Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Yes I know what it means, and no I was not attacking you personally, I was attacking the comments you made which if you care to read back seemed to be directed at me.
And as for the recent post...
I work in an emergency department and I deal with crime, drugs, theft and mindless violence every day. My friend is a police officer in Paisley and yes I have been a victim of crime. I have had my purse stolen. house broken into as has almost all of my friends (from numerous places around the UK) my car windows have been smashed and items stolen. My husband had the windows of the car smashed as he drove along a quiet street in a small town in the UK. A neighbour of ours in the village we lived was repeatedly stabbed to death by youths whom he had asked to get out of his garden just prior to us leaving the UK. (One of the many reasons we left)
You never seem to answer any of the questions I ask, therefore my next one is where did you get the information on the statistics you are talking about? And why exactly are you living in Canada?
Crime statistics are available on the internet. Look for them here.

Note:
the risk of becoming a victim of crime as measured by the BCS rose from 22% to 23%, but is well below its peak of 40% in 1995
That's a nearly halving of the chance of being a victim of crime in the last 15 years. Your experience may be different, but it is anecdotal and therefore not relevant on it's own.

Interesting that you say you work in the emergency services. The police and others in this kind of job are not usually good judges of what a typical person will experience on a day-to-day basis. By the very nature of the work they (you) do they deal with a skewed cross section of the UK population.

I've answered the highlighted question somewhere previously on this thread. I note the implication of the way you've phrased that question. It's as if you think that the best reason to live somewhere is a dislike of somewhere else; I hope this is not the case. I think I can honestly say that I haven't disliked anywhere I've lived - and I've never felt unsafe even when I lived on a council estate during a riot.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Hopefully I won't be visiting the ER
I hope not, and I guess not everyone sees the world from my perspective, and that is probably because of the job I have. But I have worked in the ER both there and here and it is vastly different for the reasons I have mentioned.
I love Scotland with a passion, I just couldn't live there anymore because of that life experience, and having lots of family ties with Canada felt it was the most logical place to go.
I hope you have a great time when you are there, which I am sure you will. I wish I could reverse time a little and have the Scotland I grew up in, it was much more pleasant, but for now I will be content with holidays and memories.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Crime statistics are available on the internet. Look for them here.

and I've never felt unsafe even when I lived on a council estate during a riot.
Hmm, yes the UK is good for that. I see you haven't seen crime, drugs or the like, but a good riot or two is just great fun....I think I may have seen a few of those in my time here in Nova Scotia - NOT.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, yes the UK is good for that. I see you haven't seen crime, drugs or the like, but a good riot or two is just great fun....I think I may have seen a few of those in my time here in Nova Scotia - NOT.
Yeah - people feeling strongly enough about social deprivation and local government policy to get off their arses and do something about it. You are right, it's a bloody disgrace.

Interesting that you mentioned that you left because somebody you knew got murdered. Guess which country has the same per capita murder rate as NS?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:14 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - people feeling strongly enough about social deprivation and local government policy to get off their arses and do something about it. You are right, it's a bloody disgrace.

Interesting that you mentioned that you left because somebody you knew got murdered. Guess which country has the same per capita murder rate as NS?
Beirut?? ok it's not a country

Last edited by dollface; Apr 7th 2010 at 10:18 pm. Reason: addition of text
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

Social deprivation in the UK, Which year are we talking about here? The Unemployed and unemployable get the best deal in the UK. The minimun wage is more than it is here in Canada, and the only social deprivation I'm afraid is caused by the people themselves.
And as for your statistics, I guess you didn't read the first paragraph under the heading "How we measure statistics" Or do you know what the word statistic means?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:35 pm

Social deprivation in the UK, Which year are we talking about here? The Unemployed and unemployable get the best deal in the UK. The minimun wage is more than it is here in Canada, and the only social deprivation I'm afraid is caused by the people themselves.
And as for your statistics, I guess you didn't read the first paragraph under the heading "How we measure statistics" Or do you know what the word statistic means?
Yes, I read it - what's wrong with it? You think they should just throw out their system and just listen to you instead?

Police records are one data source we use to measure crime rates. However, these statistics alone don’t paint an accurate picture because many crimes are not reported to police.

Since 1982, we’ve analysed the annual British Crime Survey (BCS) in conjunction with police recorded crime figures to get a more accurate picture of UK crime, and we publish all the figures in the annual report: Crime in England and Wales.

Generally speaking, the BCS is regarded as the most reliable indicator of long-term crime trends, because it asks people about their actual experiences of crime. It’s also useful for gauging public feeling since it measures how much people fear crime and how they try to avoid it.
Actually, I give up. It's not possible to debate with people who wilfully ignore any evidence that contradicts their own dogmatic world view.

Edit: To answer your first question, it was back in the 'good old days' of 1994

Last edited by Alan2005; Apr 7th 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:38 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The Unemployed and unemployable get the best deal in the UK...the only social deprivation I'm afraid is caused by the people themselves.
Oh come on. You cannot seriously believe this?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of

And those are the things I gave up to give my children a BETTER life.
Such a better life that you had to send your eldest son back to Scotland to get his university education on the cheap, leeching of the Scottish taxpayer as he did so?

I suggest you owe Scotland an apology.

Or at least a cash donation to a Crime Prevention charity maybe.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
Such a better life that you had to send your eldest son back to Scotland to get his university education on the cheap, leeching of the Scottish taxpayer as he did so?

Tee hee. I like your style young man.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem

Well actually he never moved to Canada in the first place, you shouldn't make such accusations, have you nothing better to do with your time???? And considering I only left a year ago and he was already in University.
And as for everybody else out there that wants to make a sarcastic comment as to my leeching abilities, I have never been unemployed, lived and worked most of my life in the UK and have probably paid more tax than all of you put together.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:32 am

Well actually he never moved to Canada in the first place, you shouldn't make such accusations, have you nothing better to do with your time???? And considering I only left a year ago and he was already in University.
And as for everybody else out there that wants to make a sarcastic comment as to my leeching abilities, I have never been unemployed, lived and worked most of my life in the UK and have probably paid more tax than all of you put together.
I very much doubt that.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Oh come on. You cannot seriously believe this?
Yes I do and have first hand experience as it was part of my job to help these people. The UK pays people well for being unemployed or handicapped or whatever. No-one should have to go without unless they are spending it on something else (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling).

I think maybe your buddy there is talking the poll tax riots in his council estate????. That was a long time ago and I don't think many people would feel safe with a riot going on outside their window. And if it was a demonstration, why did he call it a 'RIOT'? maybe he doesn't know the meaning of that word either!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Tee hee. I like your style young man.
And this is why I left the UK, unfortunately some of you were already here, hopefully you won't all taint the Canadian culture I have experienced so far.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:41 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK pays people well for being unemployed or handicapped or whatever.
I have no comment to make on this as sadly I think it speaks for itself.

I think maybe your buddy there is talking the poll tax riots in his council estate????. That was a long time ago and I don't think many people would feel safe with a riot going on outside their window. And if it was a demonstration, why did he call it a 'RIOT'? maybe he doesn't know the meaning of that word either!
I would comment on this if I had the slightest idea what you were talking about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.