British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Advice for a Canadian moving to England? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/advice-canadian-moving-england-662705/)

Alan2005 Apr 8th 2010 7:43 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8482369)
Depends where you go doesnt it;)
You mean the crowded cramped bit then?

I grew up in the south west - not at all crowded and I remember many crisp sunny winter days.

iaink Apr 8th 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482390)
I grew up in the south west - not at all crowded and I remember many crisp sunny winter days.

East Anglia is fairly good for both too.

el_richo Apr 8th 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8482369)
Depends where you go doesnt it;)
You mean the crowded cramped bit then?

Well the country in general has many wide open spaces. The crowded bit will generally be around the cities which is the same the world over.

At the moment i'm sitting ~5 miles from the city of London and ~5 miles from a large expanse of open spaced countryside.

Some people tend to make out that the UK has a population density over the entire land whereby people live shoulder to shoulder with no open space at all, and crime galore.

It's a shame these people must have lived blinkered through their lives in the UK.

el_richo Apr 8th 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482390)
I grew up in the south west

My sympathies :p


Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482390)
not at all crowded and I remember many crisp sunny winter days.

Same in Yorkshire

Alan2005 Apr 8th 2010 10:31 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 8482747)
My sympathies :p



Same in Yorkshire

I lived near leeds for a bit. I liked the proximity to the dales - lots of open spaces and little villages called things like blubberhouses.

oconnorkerry Apr 8th 2010 10:58 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 
[QUOTE=andrewporter;8482286]hello, if you want to meet up sometime, when we come to halifax or if you are ever in mahone bay, as we are thinking of moving to england also, we live in nova scotia now...we can discuss things ..

Send me a PM if you want. :)

oconnorkerry Apr 8th 2010 11:02 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 
Thanks everyone for your informed opinions! It really did give me a lot to think about and removed some anxiety as well. I'll definitely come back and let you all know what I end up doing.

Great fun watching the debate unfold too. ;)

lmartin999 Apr 8th 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by oconnorkerry (Post 8482820)
Thanks everyone for your informed opinions! It really did give me a lot to think about and removed some anxiety as well. I'll definitely come back and let you all know what I end up doing.

Great fun watching the debate unfold too. ;)

Go enjoy it. You will have a blast.

rae Apr 8th 2010 11:54 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482082)
Well, then in my personal experience the UK is crime free.

now you are just being silly.

Alan2005 Apr 8th 2010 11:57 pm

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by rae (Post 8482915)
now you are just being silly.

You expect better?

rae Apr 9th 2010 12:11 am

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482129)
(The fact is you haven't covered my first point - they explicitly state that they don't just speak to people that are victims of crime, and you say otherwise)

i did not say otherwise, this is what i said....." and of course if you never ring the cops and don't fill in the survey know one will ever know. this happens a lot. going to someones home for the first time, then being told they had their car broken into last year in general chat, but never reported it to anyone."

and i admitted i did not put it well hence the second post, i do know what the BCS does thank you.


I will actually pick up on your second point. Stats can be used as a tool to bend public opinion - but they are not, as many people say, lies.

No maybe not, but as i first mentioned with my theft from vehicle story, as near as dammit.


They measure what they measure with a fairly good accuracy. I hadn't up until now actually read about how the BSC go about collecting their data - however it seems reasonable to me, all the data is available for scrutiny and so it's actually stupid (and cynical for the sake of it) to reject everything they say because it doesn't fit in with your own view.

you keep twisting things, i never said i rejected everything they say, i said...."please don't trust BCS or any Home office crime stats, very bent" due to my experience as i have stated. nothing to do with my 'view' simply a factual experience.

Do you also ignore everything that stats canada says? I don't - I tend to think they are quite reliable.

Depends i suppose, one week sugar, salt, coffee, red wine all bad for you cause x number of people have died, got fat, got cancer. next week sugar, salt, coffee, red wine all good for you cause x number of people got slimmer, better hearts, less strokes.

Reminds me of the MMR scandal where the parents all said the vaccine was bad because something was wrong with their kids despite all the evidence to the contrary. Personal experience is great, but you can't let it obscure your view of the wider picture.

strange, i don't remember parents ALL saying the vaccine was bad, quite the contrary. anyway aren't you are saying you do not trust one persons experience/opinion???? you do realise you are contradicting yourself i take it. i wonder sometimes you know if you actually believe what you write. seems sometimes you take an opposing view on just about anything just for the sake of it?

rae Apr 9th 2010 12:12 am

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482920)
You expect better?

i genuinely do actually, see above.

Alan2005 Apr 9th 2010 12:56 am

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by rae (Post 8482956)
strange, i don't remember parents ALL saying the vaccine was bad, quite the contrary. anyway aren't you are saying you do not trust one persons experience/opinion???? you do realise you are contradicting yourself i take it. i wonder sometimes you know if you actually believe what you write. seems sometimes you take an opposing view on just about anything just for the sake of it?

Firstly, I am not contradicting myself - I cited the MMR to contradict your view that relying on personal experience is the best thing to do generally - this is what you said and I disagree with you - personal experience distorts reality if you assume it applies universally (which was the point of me bringing this up in the first place)

Ok, you are confusing me because your car theft example has no meaning. as far as the BCS is concerned it doesn't matter whether the police were involved or not - so please can we ignore this aspect. For the sake of argument forget about the police for a moment.

Right, I'm not exactly sure how the BCS do their survey - but I assume they either contact directly or by post a random cross section of UK residents. These may or may not have been a victim of crime (they may or may not have reported it to the police - but we don't care about that right now). Now of those sampled a percentage are not going to want to do the survey because they don't have time, can't be arsed or whatever. Now their views are not going to get counted - but I assume that the BCS plan for this and make sure their sample size is big enough for that not to matter.

Now I'm also assuming you are arguing from a point that the BCS under reports crime rather than just has a margin of error (which is implicit in all surveys unless you ask everybody). The only way that the BCS can be under reporting constantly is for those that have been a victim of crime to be more likely not to do the survey than those that have not. I find this unlikely: i.e if they survey 10,000 people and only 9000 reply then the chances of somebody in the non-responding 1000 being a victim is probably going to be the same as one of the 9000 who did respond.

dboy Apr 9th 2010 1:12 am

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 8482759)
I lived near leeds for a bit. I liked the proximity to the dales - lots of open spaces and little villages called things like blubberhouses.

I love that area of the UK and Derbyshire and the Peak District. I'm off to blighty on May 15 for 3 weeks. I will def take a drive out that way with my brother - we usually do. Quick pint on the snake pass off through the dales and into York for the day. I've always liked the rural areas of the north west.

I will also be in Lancaster /Morecambe (old man lives there) and will be around the lake district.

But i will also be in manchester :thumbdown:

Alan2005 Apr 9th 2010 4:30 am

Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?
 

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8483079)
I love that area of the UK and Derbyshire and the Peak District. I'm off to blighty on May 15 for 3 weeks. I will def take a drive out that way with my brother - we usually do. Quick pint on the snake pass off through the dales and into York for the day. I've always liked the rural areas of the north west.

I will also be in Lancaster /Morecambe (old man lives there) and will be around the lake district.

But i will also be in manchester :thumbdown:

When was the last time you were back? If you are in the city and it's anything like leeds it will a load of pound shops where proper shops used to be.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.