Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice
Default Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Hello all,

I'm a Canadian possibly moving to England looking for some advice from those who have done the same except the other way round. My partner moved to Canada nearly 5 years ago with his family, we met and had a son together who is nearly 2 now. His family has gone back and he would like to follow.

I'm not "sold" on the move yet. I love it here in NS, I've never been to England and we can't afford for me to even have a visit before moving there permanently. The visa fees and container would be expensive, not to mention the flights for us and the higher housing costs there. I'm prone to seasonal depression and am terrified at the prospect of not seeing a full sunny day from Nov-May. I'll miss the wide open, unpopulated spaces. I'll miss my family. I would love to have an extended visit in the UK, but I'm afraid I won't like living there. I've dreamed of travelling to the UK all my life but when faced with a permanent move I'm balking.

Do you have any advice for me? When you moved to Canada did you have reservations? Should I just take the plunge? It seems like some of you really love it here in Canada. I sure wish my fiance felt the same way.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by oconnorkerry
Hello all,

I'm a Canadian possibly moving to England looking for some advice from those who have done the same except the other way round. My partner moved to Canada nearly 5 years ago with his family, we met and had a son together who is nearly 2 now. His family has gone back and he would like to follow.

I'm not "sold" on the move yet. I love it here in NS, I've never been to England and we can't afford for me to even have a visit before moving there permanently. The visa fees and container would be expensive, not to mention the flights for us and the higher housing costs there. I'm prone to seasonal depression and am terrified at the prospect of not seeing a full sunny day from Nov-May. I'll miss the wide open, unpopulated spaces. I'll miss my family. I would love to have an extended visit in the UK, but I'm afraid I won't like living there. I've dreamed of travelling to the UK all my life but when faced with a permanent move I'm balking.

Do you have any advice for me? When you moved to Canada did you have reservations? Should I just take the plunge? It seems like some of you really love it here in Canada. I sure wish my fiance felt the same way.

Whereabouts in England will you be moving to?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Take a bartending course.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Hi there

it might be worth checking out the Moving Back to the UK forum to get some advice. I moved to Canada back in 1999 and I'd never even visited before so I understand your apprehension.

FWIW I moved to the UK with my Canadian OH and he wouldn't dream of moving back to Canada (mind you he had lived here for quite a few years before). Oh and we do see the sun every so often so don't worry too much about the weather
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Don't mean to be a downer but England is as s**t for Canadians as Canada is s**t for English people.
If you're having reservations now, you'll hate it there, living in some else's culture, far away from all you know, family, friends, etc. You'll be too far away to visit very often, it'll be too expensive and all in all I suspect a miserable experience for you.
If he's bent on going back, separate now, so you can move avoid the inevitable later on, only then you'll have no power, control or support. Sorry to be so blunt, but unless you win the lottery over there, that'll be the reality.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Whereabouts in England will you be moving to?
Bedford area. I have no choice in the matter as that's where his parents are living and he'll be working for them.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi there

it might be worth checking out the Moving Back to the UK forum to get some advice. I moved to Canada back in 1999 and I'd never even visited before so I understand your apprehension.

FWIW I moved to the UK with my Canadian OH and he wouldn't dream of moving back to Canada (mind you he had lived here for quite a few years before). Oh and we do see the sun every so often so don't worry too much about the weather
Thanks, I'll check that out. Glad to hear your OH had a good experience, that's encouraging.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
Don't mean to be a downer but England is as s**t for Canadians as Canada is s**t for English people.
If you're having reservations now, you'll hate it there, living in some else's culture, far away from all you know, family, friends, etc. You'll be too far away to visit very often, it'll be too expensive and all in all I suspect a miserable experience for you.
If he's bent on going back, separate now, so you can move avoid the inevitable later on, only then you'll have no power, control or support. Sorry to be so blunt, but unless you win the lottery over there, that'll be the reality.
I appreciate your honesty. What you said is what I've been thinking all along and I'm honestly not a close minded person. I have no real profession and we're in loads of debt so yeah, I would be stuck there for a long time. Hoping to win the lottery over here so we buy a home in England and Canada and settle this.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Houses in the UK are MUCH smaller than Canadian houses - and are very expensive.

I moved to Canada having never been here before, with the notion that if I didn't like it, I could always return to the UK, although that may not be an option for you. You don't know until you try though

I've never been to NS, so don't know what it's like there, but the UK is certainly more over-populated. They do have sunshine between Nov-May.... it just rains alot, even in the summer.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by minimeeze
Houses in the UK are MUCH smaller than Canadian houses - and are very expensive.

I moved to Canada having never been here before, with the notion that if I didn't like it, I could always return to the UK, although that may not be an option for you. You don't know until you try though

I've never been to NS, so don't know what it's like there, but the UK is certainly more over-populated. They do have sunshine between Nov-May.... it just rains alot, even in the summer.
You're right about that, I won't know until I try and I know I'd regret it if I didn't try at all. The drizzle shouldn't be an obstacle, lol.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Worst case scenario: you move and hate it. Your OH will not consider moving back and you now can't take your child back either, as your OH won't allow it. You are stuck for possibly the rest of your life.

Can you handle the that possibility? I'm serious. It can and does happen. HOpefully you'll fall madly in love with the UK and it'll be fine, but...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:33 pm

I appreciate your honesty. What you said is what I've been thinking all along and I'm honestly not a close minded person. I have no real profession and we're in loads of debt so yeah, I would be stuck there for a long time. Hoping to win the lottery over here so we buy a home in England and Canada and settle this.
The problem you'll also face, is that you'll be a mum with a toddler, stuck at home. It'll be difficult to make friends as you won't understand their culture and probably don't want to go out every night, getting extremely drunk, screaming at the top of your voice and waving your tits about to every passing bloke. And to top it all off, Bradford?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand having a little kid may be an advantage most towns in the UK have plenty of mother and toddler groups where you can go and meet other mums

Anyway I better go and start drinking some Buckfast to get ready for another night of pucking and flashin' me tits
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Worst case scenario: you move and hate it. Your OH will not consider moving back and you now can't take your child back either, as your OH won't allow it. You are stuck for possibly the rest of your life.

Can you handle the that possibility? I'm serious. It can and does happen. HOpefully you'll fall madly in love with the UK and it'll be fine, but...
That's a scary possibility. I didn't even consider that OH might be able to prevent me from leaving with my son. I don't think he would do that but who knows?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
The problem you'll also face, is that you'll be a mum with a toddler, stuck at home. It'll be difficult to make friends as you won't understand their culture and probably don't want to go out every night, getting extremely drunk, screaming at the top of your voice and waving your tits about to every passing bloke. And to top it all off, Bradford?
Bedford. Probably not much better than Bradford from what I hear. I'm not in the business of tit-waving but I might take to getting extremely drunk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.