Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by Oink
What this British obsession with holidays?
A chance to get away from the place for a while innit
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:16 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Not trusting statistics is silly - you might as well not trust arithmetic. You can say the data collection is flawed or what is being measured is flawed (for instance I don't trust inflation statistics because the basket of goods used doesn't reflect what people actually spend)
so you agree then that stats cannot be trusted as they can be flawed. thats basically what you are saying, just in little bits, adds up to the same thing really in the end. you don't trust inflation stats, i don't trust crime stats. i can't see an issue. apart from you seem to be able to not trust certain stats and i can't. and around and around.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 11:19 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

No, it's criticizing what you said, not you directly. I actually respect your views or I would have given up by now. The person earlier said I was a nasty idiot - a bit different I think.
mmm i think thats a fine hair split depending on how you read what was said. i'm not bothered personally, i just find it a bit rich if you cry foul elsewhere then do the same yourself. one or'tother.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
so you agree then that stats cannot be trusted as they can be flawed. thats basically what you are saying, just in little bits, adds up to the same thing really in the end. you don't trust inflation stats, i don't trust crime stats. i can't see an issue. apart from you seem to be able to not trust certain stats and i can't. and around and around.
No rae, it is acceptable to not trust stats based on what they are measuring or the way the data is collected. It is not acceptible to not trust them based on your own world view.

I do not trust inflation because it does not measure the increase in the money supply which in my view is real inflation. I do trust that the number is accurately measuring what they say it is, but that the number is mis-used.

Your mistrust of the BCS data is based on your own opinion and conjecture; so far I have seen from you:-

i) They don't measure crimes not reported to the police - False.
ii) People who don't report crimes to the police can't be arsed to report them to the BCS survey - False.

I should also point out that a margin of error is not a flaw. Every measurement ever of anything has a margin of error.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Every measurement ever of anything has a margin of error.
Especially the measurement of "Man Inches"
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:40 am
rae
Settled.

No rae, it is acceptable to not trust stats based on what they are measuring or the way the data is collected. It is not acceptible to not trust them based on your own world view.

I do not trust inflation because it does not measure the increase in the money supply which in my view is real inflation. I do trust that the number is accurately measuring what they say it is, but that the number is mis-used.

Your mistrust of the BCS data is based on your own opinion and conjecture; so far I have seen from you:-

i) They don't measure crimes not reported to the police - False.
ii) People who don't report crimes to the police can't be arsed to report them to the BCS survey - False.

I should also point out that a margin of error is not a flaw. Every measurement ever of anything has a margin of error.
you see this is the problem with your arguments alan, basically everyone else is wrong and you are right. i can't be bothered picking through your points yet again where you have misquoted me, i've done it a few times now and you just gloss over it. it just always comes back to the first sentence here.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 3:49 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you see this is the problem with your arguments alan, basically everyone else is wrong and you are right. i can't be bothered picking through your points yet again where you have misquoted me, i've done it a few times now and you just gloss over it. it just always comes back to the first sentence here.
No rae, you have failed to provide any evidence for your position. You have never addressed a single point I have made other than with unsubstantiated 'it stands to reason that x implies y' (which is not a misquote at all - it's what you actually said)

If you can explain why the BCS survey value is wrong and provide some evidence (opinion is not evidence) then fine. It's no skin off my nose if the survey is wrong or flawed and if you can come up with something that isn't pure conjecture on your part then I will readily change my mind. I don't think you will, because I don't think you can.