Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:46 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
Yes I do and have first hand experience as it was part of my job to help these people.
I bet they were glad when you moved to Canada.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do and have first hand experience as it was part of my job to help these people. The UK pays people well for being unemployed or handicapped or whatever. No-one should have to go without unless they are spending it on something else (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling).

I think maybe your buddy there is talking the poll tax riots in his council estate????. That was a long time ago and I don't think many people would feel safe with a riot going on outside their window. And if it was a demonstration, why did he call it a 'RIOT'? maybe he doesn't know the meaning of that word either!
You talking about me? I know what the difference between a riot and a demo - I know what happens when poor people are ghettoised and poor planning and policing decisions push people over the edge. I'm not giving you my life history - but that incident was used as a case study in how not to police sink estates. The area has improved significantly since then - however you probably won't believe this as it doesn't fit with your view of a crime ridden UK. (fyi: the poll tax was was repealed a few years before 1994)

You are very quick to judge people who are not as fortunate as you - and I'm still laughing at your claim to have paid more tax than us given you obviously worked for the public sector who's very job is funded through taxation. It was people like me paying YOUR wages - so think about that before telling us you contribute more than us.

Last edited by Alan2005; Apr 8th 2010 at 1:53 am.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yes, I read it - what's wrong with it? You think they should just throw out their system and just listen to you instead? it was back in the 'good old days' of 1994
Well actually I don't think you did read it.... it says that most crimes are not reported and are not included in these statistics.
And yes, back in the good old days of 1994... You do realise that is almost 20 years ago, and if you'd bothered to read what I previously said that if I could turn the clock back and live in the UK of 20 years ago... I would.
Things have changed since then and I think having lived there for all of those years but 1 I have a better insight into exactly what is going wrong in that country.
Move back there and then feel free to argue your point.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:01 am
Account Closed

Yes, I read it - what's wrong with it? You think they should just throw out their system and just listen to you instead?

Actually, I give up. It's not possible to debate with people who wilfully ignore any evidence that contradicts their own dogmatic world view.

Edit: To answer your first question, it was back in the 'good old days' of 1994
Oh and I don't see Scotland mentioned here!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I have no comment to make on this as sadly I think it speaks for itself.

Yes it does speak for itself, it's called the professional unemployed.

I would comment on this if I had the slightest idea what you were talking about
Obviously you don't know the difference between riot and demonstration either
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Well actually I don't think you did read it.... it says that most crimes are not reported and are not included in these statistics.
And yes, back in the good old days of 1994... You do realise that is almost 20 years ago, and if you'd bothered to read what I previously said that if I could turn the clock back and live in the UK of 20 years ago... I would.
Things have changed since then and I think having lived there for all of those years but 1 I have a better insight into exactly what is going wrong in that country.
Move back there and then feel free to argue your point.
Eh? I think you should go back and read it again. You have clearly misunderstood the point of the BCS.

Generally speaking, the BCS is regarded as the most reliable indicator of long-term crime trends, because it asks people about their actual experiences of crime. It’s also useful for gauging public feeling since it measures how much people fear crime and how they try to avoid it.
i.e. it is NOT just crime recorded by the police.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:08 am
Account Closed

You talking about me? I know what the difference between a riot and a demo - I know what happens when poor people are ghettoised and poor planning and policing decisions push people over the edge. I'm not giving you my life history - but that incident was used as a case study in how not to police sink estates. The area has improved significantly since then - however you probably won't believe this as it doesn't fit with your view of a crime ridden UK. (fyi: the poll tax was was repealed a few years before 1994)

You are very quick to judge people who are not as fortunate as you - and I'm still laughing at your claim to have paid more tax than us given you obviously worked for the public sector who's very job is funded through taxation. It was people like me paying YOUR wages - so think about that before telling us you contribute more than us.
Firstly you did not mention it was in 1994 that this riot took place, and now we are putting the police down, and secondly I was not paid by the public sector for most of the time I worked in the UK.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:14 am

Firstly you did not mention it was in 1994 that this riot took place, and now we are putting the police down, and secondly I was not paid by the public sector for most of the time I worked in the UK.
Yes - 1994 - what about it? It's irrelevant really - I don't know why you are focusing so much on it.

If you worked in for a company that is contracted by the government that is as good as working for the public sector. I only make this assumption based on what you've described as your occupations, based in emergency services and working with unemployed people. If this is incorrect then I apologize.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Eh? I think you should go back and read it again. You have clearly misunderstood the point of the BCS.

i.e. it is NOT just crime recorded by the police.
I am not even arguing this point as it clearly states it is the views of the people who reported the crimes. How would they get the views of the victims if they didn't report it in the first place!!!! Therefore there is more crime than the actual statistics show.
Statistics - I think you need to look this word up.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:17 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

"Yes it does speak for itself, it's called the professional unemployed"

Can you please edit your post to make it clear that I didn't say this. At the moment it appears that you are quoting me.
Perhaps you should also talk of the 'professional handicapped'?

By the way I lived in the UK until June 2009 and agree with everything Alan says. The year is irrelevant.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was not paid by the public sector for most of the time I worked in the UK.
I was. And I still am here in Canada. I suspect that your claim to have paid more taxes than "the rest of us" is as likely to be true as the rest of the nonsense you are posting.

I'm sorry that I got here before you and corrupted Canadian culture (I have been trying, but with little success).

Wish me luck.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:24 am

I am not even arguing this point as it clearly states it is the views of the people who reported the crimes. How would they get the views of the victims if they didn't report it in the first place!!!! Therefore there is more crime than the actual statistics show.
Statistics - I think you need to look this word up.
They do a survey - do you even know how these things work? Obviously they don't just ask the victims of crime if they've experienced a crime as that would mean the BCS survey would be 100% every year.

They ask a random sample of people (probably spread proportionately across the various demographic groups) about their experiences and perceptions of crime etc. Obviously in 1995 40% of people responded that they've experienced a crime, and last year that number was 23%. It's not bloody rocket science.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I know there is also crime in Canada, but it is not blatantly in your face every time you are out in public, in Nova Scotia anyway.
Nor in the majority of areas of the UK
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I have...probably paid more tax than all of you put together.
That makes me feel much better about the 50% tax the government take from me
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

How to make friends and influence people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.