Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:55 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
I think you'll find that at no point did I use foul language, did not say it was going to the dogs, and did not say it was 'overrun' with crime, but it sure is heading that way. And if you have gone out into public places anywhere in the UK and not seen litter in the street, graffitti on walls, damaged property, heard about petty theft, etc... then I want to move to where you live (d).
My job brings me into contact with the public every day and I was appalled in the UK at their behaviour.
It is not in my nature to lie and I do not take kindly to slanderous remarks and I think it is you who are living far from reality mate.
Litter and graffiti - is that it? That's not experiencing crime, that's just living somewhere where there is a enough of a population density - I see plenty of that here (I could say I see graffiti every day if counted the same graffiti each time). What about all the drugs and drug crime - or is that only second hand "heard about" like the thefts you've "experienced". Have you ever been a victim of crime yourself?

Your perception of crime in the UK is wrong - the statistics do not agree with you and neither do I.

(and I didn't accuse you of foul language, I accused you of ad-hominem - i.e. attacking me personally rather than my opinion).
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
England is not a bad place to live, it's just no longer what I want from life. England has a lot of culture and lots of nice places to visit. The biggest problems with this are that you never end up going anywhere because of traffic and the fact that everything's so bl**dy expensive now.

I think that in general, crime has been on the rise in most places in most countries so it's probably not too relevant to talk about that. I could move somewhere quieter with less crime if that's what I wanted.

There's simply not enough space in England / the UK. People are growing increasingly unhappy with the place because the general public are basically getting shafted day after day from every direction.

I know that moving to Canada is not going to solve my issues with the UK completely, but it will give me more of the things that I do want:

- more space
- less traffic when I want to get away from things
- less angry people everywhere
- cleaner streets, people having more respect for their surroundings

etc...

I wouldn't choose to live here, but it's better than many places.

Good luck whatever you do.
I agree wholeheartedly. You probably have put very well, what I really wanted to say.
I really miss lots of things from the UK -
free healthcare
greenery all year round, (the scenery)
family & friends
no tax return forms to fill in
chocolate and other foodstuffs
British television
the accent
the history
the security of knowing everything about the country you live in and how it works.
And those are the things I gave up to give my children a BETTER life.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I agree wholeheartedly. You probably have put very well, what I really wanted to say.
I really miss lots of things from the UK -
free healthcare
greenery all year round, (the scenery)
family & friends
no tax return forms to fill in
chocolate and other foodstuffs
British television
the accent
the history
the security of knowing everything about the country you live in and how it works.
And those are the things I gave up to give my children a BETTER life.
how so?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:03 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

And if you have gone out into public places anywhere in the UK and not seen litter in the street, graffitti on walls, damaged property, heard about petty theft, etc... then I want to move to where you live
I am guessing this is the kind of thing you are referring to?

"Residents say unruly patrons spill out after closing time and they have complained to the city about the noise, public urination and vomiting."

"when restaurants and bars close, "there's a lot of noise, issues with vandalism and people peeing and vomiting in the doorways.""
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:06 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

"Residents say unruly patrons spill out after closing time and they have complained to the city about the noise, public urination and vomiting."

"when restaurants and bars close, "there's a lot of noise, issues with vandalism and people peeing and vomiting in the doorways.""
and that was just you right?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Did you? I like Stockbridge - we lived in Corstorphine. There are 3 or 4 areas I would consider in Edinburgh but I need the pound to take a nosedive We may have met in a pub or two.
Possibly if you were there in 91/92 which was when I was.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Possibly if you were there in 91/92 which was when I was.
I was there then, didn't leave until 99.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

How bad is it in UK? i've often considered returning.
I can't say how bad it is in the UK as everyone has their opinions on what makes a place bad, but when I first moved away from Scotland it was almost 7 years before I went back, and in that time the place had changed dramatically for the worst.
I was completely shocked at how people were behaving. There seemed to be a complete lack of respect for everyone and everything. And as I have said before I lived in various places throughout the UK from small Hamlet to large city.
My mothers council house neighbourhood had gone severely downhill. Few people seemed to have respect for their property (or anyone elses) When you went into town there were always 'neds' (chavs in England I think)or gangs of youths hanging around and making a spectacle, upsetting the old grannies etc... people seemed to have a more negative attitude to everything and moaned alot. The weather was also worse than I remembered it to be (but maybe that was just because the summer really is the summer here)
For alot of adults their only form of recreation and being social was getting drunk. There were few opportunities for my children to thrive and the cost of living was higher.
We didn't plan on moving back (to Canada) initially, it happened on a whim, but now I am so glad we have.
My 21 year old, who still lives in Scotland (finishing Uni because it's free there) came over for a holiday recently and hasn't stopped ranting about how polite people are here. For the first time in a long while he felt safe going out and walking down the street on a weekend night by himself. He said he felt more likely to be attacked by wolves or bears than by other people.
I think anyone who is planning to move or to go back to the UK should take an extended break there and experience 'life' and not just a holiday.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

Good bait that mate.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:36 pm

I can't say how bad it is in the UK as everyone has their opinions on what makes a place bad, but when I first moved away from Scotland it was almost 7 years before I went back, and in that time the place had changed dramatically for the worst.
I was completely shocked at how people were behaving. There seemed to be a complete lack of respect for everyone and everything. And as I have said before I lived in various places throughout the UK from small Hamlet to large city.
My mothers council house neighbourhood had gone severely downhill. Few people seemed to have respect for their property (or anyone elses) When you went into town there were always 'neds' (chavs in England I think)or gangs of youths hanging around and making a spectacle, upsetting the old grannies etc... people seemed to have a more negative attitude to everything and moaned alot. The weather was also worse than I remembered it to be (but maybe that was just because the summer really is the summer here)
For alot of adults their only form of recreation and being social was getting drunk. There were few opportunities for my children to thrive and the cost of living was higher.
We didn't plan on moving back (to Canada) initially, it happened on a whim, but now I am so glad we have.
My 21 year old, who still lives in Scotland (finishing Uni because it's free there) came over for a holiday recently and hasn't stopped ranting about how polite people are here. For the first time in a long while he felt safe going out and walking down the street on a weekend night by himself. He said he felt more likely to be attacked by wolves or bears than by other people.
I think anyone who is planning to move or to go back to the UK should take an extended break there and experience 'life' and not just a holiday.
Are there no dodgy areas in Nova Scotia? there must be - It is good to hear others views on the UK. Can't take more than a vacation there due to work, time and commitments.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Litter and graffiti - is that it? That's not experiencing crime, that's just living somewhere where there is a enough of a population density - I see plenty of that here (I could say I see graffiti every day if counted the same graffiti each time). What about all the drugs and drug crime - or is that only second hand "heard about" like the thefts you've "experienced". Have you ever been a victim of crime yourself?

Your perception of crime in the UK is wrong - the statistics do not agree with you and neither do I.

(and I didn't accuse you of foul language, I accused you of ad-hominem - i.e. attacking me personally rather than my opinion).
Yes I know what it means, and no I was not attacking you personally, I was attacking the comments you made which if you care to read back seemed to be directed at me.
And as for the recent post...
I work in an emergency department and I deal with crime, drugs, theft and mindless violence every day. My friend is a police officer in Paisley and yes I have been a victim of crime. I have had my purse stolen. house broken into as has almost all of my friends (from numerous places around the UK) my car windows have been smashed and items stolen. My husband had the windows of the car smashed as he drove along a quiet street in a small town in the UK. A neighbour of ours in the village we lived was repeatedly stabbed to death by youths whom he had asked to get out of his garden just prior to us leaving the UK. (One of the many reasons we left)
You never seem to answer any of the questions I ask, therefore my next one is where did you get the information on the statistics you are talking about? And why exactly are you living in Canada?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Are there no dodgy areas in Nova Scotia? there must be -.
There sure are dodgy areas in Nova Scotia, as working in the ER in Halifax will testify to, but Halifax is a city and I used to live in a small town (for the UK) and the ER there was horrific. Nurses, doctors and other patients were assaulted on a regular basis. Britains underclass were right there in your face. The seats in the waiting room were ripped or written on, and yes, as someone put it earlier, people were vomiting on the doorstep and making a nuisance of themselves.
That doesn't happen so much here. The Nova Scotia of today reminds me of the UK of 20 or so years ago.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Can't take more than a vacation there due to work, time and commitments.
I am going back soon.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:53 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

and yes, as someone put it earlier, people were vomiting on the doorstep and making a nuisance of themselves.
That doesn't happen so much here.
Having been outed by Novo, (not that the post was exactly subtle) I should post the full link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...lly-just-a-bar

I found the bit I have bolded rather amusing:

"Six years ago, this neighbourhood would be completely unrecognizable. There were more crackheads and prostitutes on the street, but they were quiet," said resident and activist Misha Glouberman. Now when restaurants and bars close, "there's a lot of noise, issues with vandalism and people peeing and vomiting in the doorways."
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:54 pm

There sure are dodgy areas in Nova Scotia, as working in the ER in Halifax will testify to, but Halifax is a city and I used to live in a small town (for the UK) and the ER there was horrific. Nurses, doctors and other patients were assaulted on a regular basis. Britains underclass were right there in your face. The seats in the waiting room were ripped or written on, and yes, as someone put it earlier, people were vomiting on the doorstep and making a nuisance of themselves.
That doesn't happen so much here. The Nova Scotia of today reminds me of the UK of 20 or so years ago.
You're not painting a pretty picture I'll see how I feel when I go back. Hopefully I won't be visiting the ER

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.