Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:04 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a Canadian moving to England?

Originally Posted by highlandspirit8
I have watched my beloved country (UK) degenerate into something that is not pretty.
Excellent. Been a few weeks since we have had a thread like this. Care to elaborate a little?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dollface
Where in Scotland did you live HS8?
Ayrshire
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:12 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Ayrshire
How bad is it in UK? i've often considered returning.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you read what I wrote. I said I lived in numerous places throughout the UK. I certainly did not polarize anything, was there something specific? Or do you live (lived) in a place without crime, vandalism, drugs, then you must be living in a bubble.

I guess you are not allowed to voice your opinion on this forum without idiots having to react with something nasty.
The place I was born and lived in for most of my life in Scotland was beautiful, but there was crime. I didn't live with my eyes and ears shut. I know there is also crime in Canada, but it is not blatantly in your face every time you are out in public, in Nova Scotia anyway.
You are certainly welcome to have an opinion, but there is no need to be such an ex-pat cliché. The "UK is full of crime, vandalism and drugs which you see every time you go out in public" is just bollocks. These are your words - so either you lived in some really shitty places or you are lying as that is far from reality for most people.

You can accuse me of living in a bubble and resort to ad-hominem if you like, but that won't make your viewpoint correct. The fact is that the UK is not "overrun with crime", is not "a shit hole", is not "going to the dogs", is not "full of drugs". It's a wealthy western liberal democracy where most people enjoy a fairly decent standard of living - much like Canada in fact.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:17 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You are certainly welcome to have an opinion, but there is no need to be such an ex-pat cliché. The "UK is full of crime, vandalism and drugs which you see every time you go out in public" is just bollocks. These are your words - so either you lived in some really shitty places or you are lying as that is far from reality for most people.

You can accuse me of living in a bubble and resort to ad-hominem if you like, but that won't make your viewpoint correct. The fact is that the UK is not "overrun with crime", is not "a shit hole", is not "going to the dogs", is not "full of drugs". It's a wealthy western liberal democracy where most people enjoy a fairly decent standard of living - much like Canada in fact.
Would you return Al?
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is that the UK is not "overrun with crime", is not "a shit hole", is not "going to the dogs", is not "full of drugs". It's a wealthy western liberal democracy where most people enjoy a fairly decent standard of living - much like Canada in fact.
That would seem to reflect the experience of the family and friends I have left in the UK, spread the length and breadth of the place (well, from Surrey to Fife anyway). The one thing they do all have in common though is "professional" level income to support living in relatively nice areas.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:21 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I left the UK last year and have been thinking about returning - mainly because a rather interesting job opportunity appeared in a nice place. I probably won't pursue it for a range of reasons but have no doubt I would be very happy there. This is not to say I am unhappy here. In fact, as I posted before I think my life would, on the whole, look quite similar in either place.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I left the UK last year and have been thinking about returning - mainly because a rather interesting job opportunity appeared in a nice place. I probably won't pursue it for a range of reasons but have no doubt I would be very happy there. This is not to say I am unhappy here. In fact, as I posted before I think my life would, on the whole, look quite similar in either place.
I agree with that. I think, even after being away 11 years, I could quite easily slide back into the way of life and at a similar (or the way the pound is right now slightly better) comfort level.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:26 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Would you return Al?
If the exchange rate went to $1.30 or something then I'd seriously consider it... I could buy a big house

The thing is I'm not here because I think the UK is some crime infested rat-hole, but because I like it here. In truth, living here has actually given me an appreciation of how good the UK is in some ways - now this doesn't mean I think Canada is an awful place cos if I thought that I'd already be on the plane. I like it here - BC is a beautiful place to live.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:29 pm

If the exchange rate went to $1.30 or something then I'd seriously consider it... I could buy a big house

The thing is I'm not here because I think the UK is some crime infested rat-hole, but because I like it here. In truth, living here has actually given me an appreciation of how good the UK is in some ways - now this doesn't mean I think Canada is an awful place cos if I thought that I'd already be on the plane. I like it here - BC is a beautiful place to live.
I hear ya if the pound continued to drop I think it may tip the scales for me.
Like you, we did not leave because we hated UK, just as if we were to leave Canada, we would have loved our experience in a wonderful country.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:30 pm

The exchange rate was something that was sort of tempting me. Get current CDN salary matched in GBP, sell condo here (that it appears might have appreciated significantly - which would be a first as I have always lost money on places I have bought), convert to GBP etc. However, I was looking at SW London so it would still mean I could buy another small flat, albeit in a nice area.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by lmartin999
The exchange rate was something that was sort of tempting me. Get current CDN salary matched in GBP, sell condo here (that it appears might have appreciated significantly - which would be a first as I have always lost money on places I have bought), convert to GBP etc. However, I was looking at SW London so it would still mean I could buy another small flat, albeit in a nice area.
Yeah, areas we'd look at would be Cambridgeshire, Hampshire or back to Edinburgh. None of which are cheap when we go back on hols this summer, we will look more seriously with potentially returning eyes.

Last edited by dollface; Apr 7th 2010 at 8:34 pm. Reason: adding text.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

highlandspirit8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you'll find that at no point did I use foul language, did not say it was going to the dogs, and did not say it was 'overrun' with crime, but it sure is heading that way. And if you have gone out into public places anywhere in the UK and not seen litter in the street, graffitti on walls, damaged property, heard about petty theft, etc... then I want to move to where you live (d).
My job brings me into contact with the public every day and I was appalled in the UK at their behaviour.
It is not in my nature to lie and I do not take kindly to slanderous remarks and I think it is you who are living far from reality mate.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:41 pm

Yeah, areas we'd look at would be Cambridgeshire, Hampshire or back to Edinburgh. None of which are cheap when we go back on hols this summer, we will look more seriously with potentially returning eyes.
I used to live in Edinburgh. Rented in the stockbridge colonies near the botanical garden - was a really nice old stone building, but bloody freezing in the winter. Lovely in the summer though.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 8:53 pm

I used to live in Edinburgh. Rented in the stockbridge colonies near the botanical garden - was a really nice old stone building, but bloody freezing in the winter. Lovely in the summer though.
Did you? I like Stockbridge - we lived in Corstorphine. There are 3 or 4 areas I would consider in Edinburgh but I need the pound to take a nosedive We may have met in a pub or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.